Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 10:12 PM

361 posts, read 431,468 times

Advertisements

I am 20 years old and recently switched from a Samsung Galaxy S5 to an iPhone 7 Plus and like the 7 Plus vastly better. It is so much easier to navigate, has a better battery life, and since I already have an iPad, I can easily sync the 2. However, in my age range, at least among all my friends, people only have iPhones because that's what was available or that's what their family can get it. They are all radical Android fans, and many of my friends who have iPhones claim that they wish they could throw it in the trash and get an Android for free. Most of them also say the iPhone is a piece of crap. Meanwhile the iPhones have progressed so far through the generations and have so many cool features and are overall great phones. My friends say that the only reason I switched from Android to iPhone is because I have no idea how to work an Android and needed something I could actually use. I know how to use the Android, but I just prefer the simplicity and ease of use of the iPhone. They say that the reason they prefer Android is the customization, which I admit is cool, but I don't care about all that. I just wanted a simple smartphone. I just don't get how they can't appreciate having a great phone like the iPhone. I'm not trying to start a war here and really don't want this to become an Android vs. iOS debate, I just want people's opinions on why this seems to be the phenomenon among teenagers that own smartphones. I think Android and iOS are both great, and I would've been ok keeping the S5 if it wasn't possible for me to get a new phone, but I just don't get this radical stigma against what I always thought people regarded as a great phone as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 07:05 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,537,472 times
Because teenagers know everything. Whereas adults know nothing. Ask any 16 year old.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:00 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Because teenagers know everything. Whereas adults know nothing. Ask any 16 year old.
This is actually a good theory. Now that all of their parents and even grandparents have i-phones, they are going to Android to be different and show their independence. Just like they are leaving Facebook for different social media because their elders are all over it now.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:17 AM

15,424 posts, read 25,792,502 times
All the teens that were friends of my kids, including my kids, all have and want the iPhone. It's one reason I have one. When they upgrade to the newest, I take their old one and use it for a couple more years. My oldest had the Samsung S4 once, but I never got it from her because it wouldn't work, and Samsung would not honor the warranty. She went to the iPhone after that and won't go back.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:28 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,518,461 times
Yeah they don't want the phones their parents/grandparents have.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:42 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,398,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue20 View Post
My friends say that the only reason I switched from Android to iPhone is because I have no idea how to work an Android and needed something I could actually use.
Are these the same "friends" that call you a child molester?

Old 10-11-2017, 09:09 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,252,147 times
so their parents cannot easily track them.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Are these the same "friends" that call you a child molester?
Yes, but that has since stopped.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
All the teens that were friends of my kids, including my kids, all have and want the iPhone. It's one reason I have one. When they upgrade to the newest, I take their old one and use it for a couple more years. My oldest had the Samsung S4 once, but I never got it from her because it wouldn't work, and Samsung would not honor the warranty. She went to the iPhone after that and won't go back.
I wanted the iPhone for quite a while while I had the Android, but I just don’t get why teens keep the iPhone if they hate it and are gonna complain about it. Both phones are great ones, and different people prefer different ones for whatever reasons.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:26 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,668,514 times
To answer your actual question, this are just people you know and not indicative of the general population.
Although, Android is soundly kicking Apple's butt in market share.

I do see people doing this a lot though. Moving from Android to iPhone and proclaiming Android sucks.
Of course, your brand new iPhone 7 is going to run circles around a 5 year old S5. If you had bought an S8, you might be thinking differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones