Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 07:55 PM

33,322 posts, read 12,505,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
It's a useful device for kids who want apps and whose parents don't want them to have a wireless plan. Personally, I'd just teach the kid to tap through the "No SIM Installed" error messages.
That's what I do.

It's just one message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 08:32 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,541,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Odd question. Because some people still want a media-only(music, video files or streaming) device.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I bought a new 32GB iPhone SE at Wal-Mart for $129, rather than buying an iPod touch. IF..I decided to use the phone part, I'd be locked to Straight Talk for 12 months, but after that Straight Talk will unlock it for you. I don't intend to use the phone part (so the lock to straight Talk doesn't matter to me), and every other feature I've used works just fine.
I don't think it is such an odd question.

Presumably Wal-Mart buys the phones for $129 and is selling them at cost in order to get Straight Talk customers. RMESMH wanted an Apple iPod but he preferred to pay $129 instead of much more.

All I was asking is if there is any downside other than the relatively small weight penalty.

Old 11-19-2017, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I don't think it is such an odd question.

Presumably Wal-Mart buys the phones for $129 and is selling them at cost in order to get Straight Talk customers. RMESMH wanted an Apple iPod but he preferred to pay $129 instead of much more.

All I was asking is if there is any downside other than the relatively small weight penalty.
Re the bolded...not that I know of.

Additionally, from what I've read on MacRumors, most people seem to enjoy better battery life with the current SE than with the current Touch.

IIRC, until recently, the top capacity Touch had more storage than the top capacity SE, but both now top out at 128gb

Old 11-19-2017, 04:48 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,541,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Re the bolded...not that I know of.

Additionally, from what I've read on MacRumors, most people seem to enjoy better battery life with the current SE than with the current Touch.

IIRC, until recently, the top capacity Touch had more storage than the top capacity SE, but both now top out at 128gb
You are correct that the SE was released on March 31, 2016 with 16 GB and 64 GB models, but in March of 2017 that was changed to 32GB and 128GB.

Prior to last summer Apple offered 16, 32, 64, and 128GB options for the iPod touch with pricing at $199, $249, $299, and $399, respectively. In July of 2017 Apple discontinued its iPod nano and iPod shuffle and simplified the Touch to 32GB and 128GB model and repriced at $199 and $299.

I don't know about Apple Packaging, but Android phones regularly contain a warning that the phone is being subsidized and sold at a discount for the purposes of being used by the carrier. If you do not intend to use it for that purpose, you are not supposed to purchase it.

Of course, you can just ignore the packaging. In addition to music player you can also load a soft phone (like Google Voice) and use it when you have WiFi.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:22 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,237,198 times
Quote:
Odd question.

Because some people still want a media-only(music, video files or streaming) device.

As far as iPod Touch vs iPhone goes, one thing I wish they had included on both was the selectable battery usage percentage indicator instead of only the battery fuel gauge on the Touches.
Try this -

If you would like your your iPod to tell you your battery level as a percentage go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Triple-click Home, and select "Toggle VoiceOver". After you are done, go to your home screen and triple click the home button. VoiceOver will activate. Then tap the battery icon. VoiceOver will say the battery percentage aloud. To turn VoiceOver off, triple click the home button again.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:33 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,039,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Try this -

If you would like your your iPod to tell you your battery level as a percentage go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Triple-click Home, and select "Toggle VoiceOver". After you are done, go to your home screen and triple click the home button. VoiceOver will activate. Then tap the battery icon. VoiceOver will say the battery percentage aloud. To turn VoiceOver off, triple click the home button again.

Man that's a great solution, never thought of that! Next time I want to drive from CT to Miami I'll just head west through Chicago and the upper-midwest and back down through the pan handle.

Nothing like a direct path to getting where one needs to be!

Old 11-20-2017, 09:39 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,449,783 times
You do know that you can get an old SE for $129 from StraightTalk? Not that expensive if you know where to look.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:09 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,691,254 times
Apple will most likely stop making the touch. There’s no reason to anymore, when you can use any iPhone without service. I always tell people to pickup Used Sprint iPhones and use it as stand-alone for kids. Sprint iPhones are always cheaper than any other version. Because it is the least popular service.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:05 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,237,198 times
Quote:
Man that's a great solution, never thought of that! Next time I want to drive from CT to Miami I'll just head west through Chicago and the upper-midwest and back down through the pan handle.

Nothing like a direct path to getting where one needs to be!
Believe it or not, that is the Apple-recommended solution

Old 11-21-2017, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
You do know that you can get an old SE for $129 from StraightTalk? Not that expensive if you know where to look.
Already mentioned (see posts 9, 10, and 12) .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones