Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 03:46 PM

3,528 posts, read 6,528,901 times

Advertisements

I just got a cell call and the caller ID said it was my own number. A robotic voice said it was the service provider and I had been flagged for security. They said to enter the last four digits of my SS, which I did. Then the voice said it was invalid and it ended.

I found some pages saying this is a scam. Scammers use your own number to get around blocking and other security.

Is it possible it wasn't a scam?? Does ATT call people and their own number appears?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 03:55 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,418,450 times
I get them all the time. I'm never home.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:03 PM

6,478 posts, read 10,347,099 times
Anybody can call you and "Spoof" their phone # to show as any phone # they want to. Even if a a provider's security system did call you they would not need you to provide any part of your Social Security #. I work for a bank and hear these type of stories day in and day out. I guarantee it was a scam. No legitimate service would disguise their phone # to show as yours.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:07 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
It is called spoofing the number. Search the net for advice. Calling ID without a name is useless.
On home or cell I never answer a number unless I know who it is.
You will now get constant calls because by answering you have confirmed that your's is a working number.
It is a shame that one of the best technologies ever developed has been ruined by telemarketing.
The cell phone and land lines has become useless.
Oh, and never call the number back. It is some poor bastard who is being blamed by the spoof, not the real demon.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:26 PM

You'd think ATT would make it harder for somebody to spoof a number that they are not actually calling from. That's the idea of Caller ID.

What can scammers do with the last four digits of your SS number? I've been asked this as a confirmation when calling the credit card company. But it's usually an extra layer of security, not the main thing.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:38 PM

robertpasa,

You are oversimplifying the problem. Most of these scammers are doing this from overseas locations. No cellular carrier or governmental organization can easily block such calls that originate outside the US. You do realize that callers can block their caller ID completely ? A blocked caller ID would not prevent a call from going through to the recipient. In some markets in the US, Caller ID does not work at all.

You misunderstood my earlier point about carriers/banks asking for the last 4 social security #. My point is that they will not ask you for that information if they call you, they can or will ask if you call them. You would be surprised how little information needs to be gathered to commit fraud by the scammers. There were some very useful links posted in this thread by a moderator. I encourage you to read them to better understand the reality.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
robertpasa,

You are oversimplifying the problem. Most of these scammers are doing this from overseas locations. No cellular carrier or governmental organization can easily block such calls that originate outside the US.
Why is there less security from overseas calls than domestic?

Old 11-28-2017, 04:47 PM

The US regulators have no jurisdiction outside the US. If you suddenly could not receive any calls from a certain state or country, would you be upset ?

Old 11-28-2017, 05:56 PM

61,705 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
You'd think ATT would make it harder for somebody to spoof a number that they are not actually calling from. That's the idea of Caller ID.

What can scammers do with the last four digits of your SS number? I've been asked this as a confirmation when calling the credit card company. But it's usually an extra layer of security, not the main thing.
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/why-y...-number-kirsch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones