Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2017, 10:12 PM

101 posts, read 176,429 times

Advertisements

Which prepaid phone plan has the best signal when used in an unlocked Verizon S7 phone in California? H2O or Cricket or others?

Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 08:00 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
You have to be a lot more specific than “California”. The answer is - it depends.

Look up which carrier(s) those plans use, then check each carrier’s coverage site.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:05 AM

352 posts, read 386,951 times
The other thing you have to keep in mind is you need to know what frequency bands the phone supports. With UNLOCKED PHONES by Samsung ( and others ) you need the EXACT MODEL to check the 'BANDS'.

For example , the OEM Factory Unlocked Galaxy S7 sold in stores is model SMG 930F- which will 'work' on AT&T/Tmobile/Metro PCS -- and other GSM carriers- BUT not as well at 4G/LTE Data speeds (OFTEN) and NOT usually allow Calls with Simultaneous Internet (Talk while browsing) and Special Carrier Features that Branded Carrier Phones have. The phone that is carrier branded that you get direct from say, T-Mobile, will have a different model number with a "T" at the end and supports the bands required for LTE cellular data speeds and full phone features.

But you NEED specific Model Numbers to accurately check the Bands, NOT merely 'S7'. Was your phone purchased unlocked brand-new or is it a carrier branded phone that was unlocked after having been in service for a while?

And like markjames stated even if all of this checks out OK it won't do you any good if the carrier the phone works best with has pizz-poor service in your geographic area. In major metro areas you might be OK, but out in the boonies who knows? Best to check with other people and see what works good for them in your locale(s). If it's a GSM phone good for T-Mobile, ATT, etc, maybe check out a 3 month trial with MINT Sim prepaid.
Good luck.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:22 AM

4 posts, read 2,237 times
I think H2O is better because it uses AT&T towers and their coverage is pretty darn good. But, I would still double check the coverage maps for my location and go for whichever has good service in my location.

Old 04-07-2018, 08:04 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mas15 View Post
I think H2O is better because it uses AT&T towers and their coverage is pretty darn good. But, I would still double check the coverage maps for my location and go for whichever has good service in my location.
Maps tend to lie. ATT maps claim service in my area where no service exists. I know as a former ATT customer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones