Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 06:54 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,668,514 times

Advertisements

I would suggest the Google Voice route. Seriously. This works so seamlessly on a phone it's just crazy. Lots of bonuses. You can port a number for $20.
https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667?hl=en
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 03:01 PM

16,536 posts, read 8,579,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Yes, that is a Dual SIM phone. Make sure it has the correct cellular/LTE frequencies compatible with your cellular network before you decide to buy it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
Dual sim phones can have two carriers or if your cell phone is LTE and has great coverage all over the areas you travel, then you can use a VOIP phone like a Magic Jack applications or others and in that way have two numbers on one regular cell phone, it is all up to the person, I use a Magic Jack app on my LTE phone and while the calls on the app are not perfect all the time and definitely not for business type of usage, it allows me to answer my Magic Jack house phone when out and about.

For phones, you can get a decent dual sim phone as low as $200 at places such as Best Buy for an Asus Zenfone 4 Max 32 which has two sims and a memory card or a much more expensive phone such as the Samsung S7 Edge which can only have two sims. My opinion, whatever you buy make sure it has at least 32GB of internal memory if you want to keep the phone for many years.
I am not looking to have different carriers, and am accepting that my GM is correct in that we should use Verizon. [However I am looking into a Verizon off brand to use if the coverage is as good]
I'd just like to have my GM carry one phone instead of two and be able to receive calls from either ported number from customers.

In regard to the Asus Zenphone, is having the memory card feature important if most of the business will be voice calls vs. smartphone applications?
I already told him I'd get him a Samsung 8 and he liked the idea, probably from a screen size standpoint. However if the Asus is close to the Samsung 8 in size, I could go with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I would suggest the Google Voice route. Seriously. This works so seamlessly on a phone it's just crazy. Lots of bonuses. You can port a number for $20.
I appreciate the suggestion, and thanks for the link. With that said, I skimmed through the tutorial and am wondering about a couple of things. On my existing Google Voice number (randomly assigned) on my personal phone, when someone new dials it, there is a voice prompting someone to identify themselves and then Google Voice will attempt to reach me. After a few seconds (whether the person speaks or not), it will start to ring on the callers phone. There is usually a delay from when they hear a ring and I do.

Be that as it may, I am wondering if there is a way to get rid of that aspect, as it does not come across as a business type of line?

Old 02-20-2018, 03:35 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,252,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I am not looking to have different carriers, and am accepting that my GM is correct in that we should use Verizon. [However I am looking into a Verizon off brand to use if the coverage is as good]
I'd just like to have my GM carry one phone instead of two and be able to receive calls from either ported number from customers.

In regard to the Asus Zenphone, is having the memory card feature important if most of the business will be voice calls vs. smartphone applications?
I already told him I'd get him a Samsung 8 and he liked the idea, probably from a screen size standpoint. However if the Asus is close to the Samsung 8 in size, I could go with that.
Verizon supposedly has the best coverage, as long as it is for business then that would likely be the best way to go.

If the second number is also for business then it is possible that any voip including Magic Jack might not work as well as a regular cell phone line, since it would depend on data being good quality.

As far as what phone, if the business can afford the S8 Edge then that would be the way to go if you can get one with dual sim capability, my wife recently got a second hand one from Dailysale (I do not recommend them) and it is Verizon branded and will take two sim cards, the Asus is a decent phone but not top of the line, so IMO for business calls it might be best to go top of the line.

As for memory card, if a phone has 32 and up GB and the phone will not be used for photos and saving documents, then a memory card would likely not be necessary, yet I would put one in anyway if given the option.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:35 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,912,961 times
Google voice!! is how you do it.

One number that can be forward to any phone. Install it on your cell phone and you can have it ask if you want the receiver number to call from your google voice or your cell. thus having 2 numbers calling from and receiving from.

I have done this since GV was rolled out.

Free and you can block numbers and SPAM callers!

Old 02-20-2018, 06:38 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,912,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

Yep.

The solution is rouge but works!

1. Download the GV app.
2. Install it when it comes up asking " Do you want to make calls using GV every time, ask, or none.
3. Choose ask, so this will give you a chance to make calls from your business line or your private line.
4. GV voicemail can be forward to your phone or online and translated.
5. Block unknown callers that get forward and block anybody from knowing your business or personal line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones