Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 07:20 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Do you have your calling set on Wi-Fi preferred? If so, change it to Cellular Network Preferred and see if that helps.
She tried with NO WIFI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 12:25 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Hi,
Recently I bought an Android, Galaxy S-8. All was fine until about two or three weeks in. All of a sudden, when my son tried to phone me, (he lives in another state) he kept getting a busy signal. But he was able to text and email me.?

So, making a long story short, I sat on the phone with a gal from Tech support, (and by the way, my son and I both have the same provider) and she ran an update and something else, do not know what? Then she had me ask my son to call me and it worked, all of about 2 days, and reverted right back to the way it was before.

So, she called me to see how things were going and I told her, it was happening again, when he calls, he cannot get thru, he gets a busy signal and it really upsets him, so he has to text me and ask me to call him.

So, she tried to get into my phone again and every time she tried, it flashed, like crazy and she said, "I'm sending you a new phone". So, they sent me a new phone, and guess what, it's doing it again???? Very frustrating.

Oh and she had suggested it might be my internet provider, but we were all using the internet when the kids were home so it's not that....

My son if very frustrated, and btw, it's only him, everyone else can get thru, is that crazy?

Any suggestions.?
That's a provisioning issue with the phone company. WiFi calling should not have anything to do with that if you can get calls from other people while using WiFi calling. Your son might want to try with his technical support with his phone company since you are the only person he has trouble calling. Plus he can send you a text, and those go through the same network as the phone calls so it is definitely a provisioning issue. If anything WiFi calling is a workaround that allows it to work sometimes and at other times it does not work.

This is also the reason why it did not work when they sent you a new phone. They need to get that situation figured out on their end, or him or his end, if neither one of you are having issues getting calls from anyone else.

There are situations where a company or organization is being a _ and blocks WiFi calling for people on the network because they do not want their bandwidth being used to support those types of calls, or they do not want certain employees making calls over WiFi. It really sucks because you should have that right to communications, especially if you can make calls through cellular. There are workarounds, like messaging apps or WiFi calling through someone else like paid Skype, or using Hangouts Dailer for Google Voice calls but you shouldn't have to do all of that. I still use Google Voice as a backup just in case because I have been places where I cannot get a signal and I am on AT&T. If a call cannot be completed it is forwarded to that Google Voice number. Helped me out in a few occasions where a call would otherwise go to voice mail. Have to do what I have to do to stay connected. No e911 in that situation but no 911 either because I can't get a regular signal out.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:35 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
That's a provisioning issue with the phone company. WiFi calling should not have anything to do with that if you can get calls from other people while using WiFi calling. Your son might want to try with his technical support with his phone company since you are the only person he has trouble calling. Plus he can send you a text, and those go through the same network as the phone calls so it is definitely a provisioning issue. If anything WiFi calling is a workaround that allows it to work sometimes and at other times it does not work.

This is also the reason why it did not work when they sent you a new phone. They need to get that situation figured out on their end, or him or his end, if neither one of you are having issues getting calls from anyone else.

There are situations where a company or organization is being a _ and blocks WiFi calling for people on the network because they do not want their bandwidth being used to support those types of calls, or they do not want certain employees making calls over WiFi. It really sucks because you should have that right to communications, especially if you can make calls through cellular. There are workarounds, like messaging apps or WiFi calling through someone else like paid Skype, or using Hangouts Dailer for Google Voice calls but you shouldn't have to do all of that. I still use Google Voice as a backup just in case because I have been places where I cannot get a signal and I am on AT&T. If a call cannot be completed it is forwarded to that Google Voice number. Helped me out in a few occasions where a call would otherwise go to voice mail. Have to do what I have to do to stay connected. No e911 in that situation but no 911 either because I can't get a regular signal out.
Well, unfortunately I think the AT&T lady has abandoned me....she was also working with my son, on his phone b/c he has AT&T....I phoned the store, and they told me to come in, b/c I was still having the issue, and they said it was my sim card...they made me pay for the sim card, do you believe it.

My son messages me when ever he has time to talk...but I don't always get the messages b/c I'm working around the house or outside....so it's a problem...and it is frustrating to say the least, but I believe they've abandoned me....b/c they can't find the answer.....

Old 04-18-2018, 02:18 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Well, unfortunately I think the AT&T lady has abandoned me....she was also working with my son, on his phone b/c he has AT&T....I phoned the store, and they told me to come in, b/c I was still having the issue, and they said it was my sim card...they made me pay for the sim card, do you believe it.

My son messages me when ever he has time to talk...but I don't always get the messages b/c I'm working around the house or outside....so it's a problem...and it is frustrating to say the least, but I believe they've abandoned me....b/c they can't find the answer.....
That really sucks. I would find someone to give my business to. In the interim you can always have your son use apps to call you. I do not believe that you should have to do that, but it does sound as though they have forced you into that position. I wish I had a solution, but it does not sound as though there is anything on your end that can be done about the situation.

Old 04-18-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Just did some "start over" reading and this got my attention. If it was the tower you use I would expect the problem to affect anyone trying to call you. On the other hand I would expect that if it was his tower he would not get through to anyone.

I'm still falling back to some setting in your phone blocking his call.s I'd go the store that changed your sim card and ask them to check all settings that might block him. Sure can't hurt to try.

And have your son double check that he doesn't have you blocked. I can't remember you saying you could call him, just texting. I have no idea what the result would be if I blocked my wife's phone and called her.

But I can find out.... No. Call went through.
Yes I can call him

Old 04-18-2018, 04:02 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
I'd raise Cain with AT&T over that store making you pay for the sim card. And I'd be bugging that rep you were working with. They might think the problem has been solved if they haven't heard from you.

Two words I use for everything

Persistence and pressure

Be persistent and keep up the pressure. You know, squeaky wheel.

Old 04-18-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Just did some "start over" reading and this got my attention. If it was the tower you use I would expect the problem to affect anyone trying to call you. On the other hand I would expect that if it was his tower he would not get through to anyone.

I'm still falling back to some setting in your phone blocking his call.s I'd go the store that changed your sim card and ask them to check all settings that might block him. Sure can't hurt to try.

And have your son double check that he doesn't have you blocked. I can't remember you saying you could call him, just texting. I have no idea what the result would be if I blocked my wife's phone and called her.

But I can find out.... No. Call went through.
Quote:
I'd raise Cain with AT&T over that store making you pay for the sim card. And I'd be bugging that rep you were working with. They might think the problem has been solved if they haven't heard from you.

Persistence and pressure

Thank you I'll keep you posted

Old 04-19-2018, 06:26 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Bummer, I was really hoping it would be the fix!

I guess you can just use moved's phone since it seems to work fine and that's the only contribution they've made to the discussion.
LOL.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:

Persistence and pressure

Hi and good morning!

I did and just called them again today, and was cordial, they are going to call me late afternoon today or tomorrow....but yes, I will be persistent...its a big inconvenience.

If it were anyone else, I wouldn't mind so much but my son needs to be able to reach me....

Old 04-19-2018, 07:17 AM

OK, they just called, and she said, they are working with my son, b/c they've exhausted all testing from my end, and now they think it's on his phone so they are working with him since he has the same provider.

And By The Way, I just wanted to thank you guys so much, all of you, for stopping by, reading and trying to point out different solutions, greatly appreciate.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 04-19-2018 at 07:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones