Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 01:01 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,239,560 times

Advertisements

I usually buy AppleCare+ with my phones if I plan to keep them for 2 years (which I'm doing now that the pace of technology has slowed a bit).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 01:04 PM
npz npz started this thread

208 posts, read 323,417 times
Interesting! AppleCare say they replace with a new phone if needed. Carrier insurance seems to suggest you'll get a refurbished phone, albeit they do cover lost and stolen phones which AppleCare does not.

Have you ever had to use it markjames68?

Old 05-21-2018, 01:07 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,527,280 times
I’ve used AppleCare+ and it’s great. Highly recommend it.

Old 05-21-2018, 01:11 PM
npz npz started this thread

208 posts, read 323,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I’ve used AppleCare+ and it’s great. Highly recommend it.
For repair or replacement?

Old 05-21-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npz View Post
Interesting! AppleCare say they replace with a new phone if needed. Carrier insurance seems to suggest you'll get a refurbished phone, albeit they do cover lost and stolen phones which AppleCare does not.

Have you ever had to use it markjames68?
I’ve used it once on an iPad. Never have broken an iPhone screen yet. Ironically I treat my devices like I don’t want them to break, even though they have AppleCare!

It paid for itself and then some on my Mac Pro.

Old 05-21-2018, 05:37 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,527,280 times
Quote:
For repair or replacement?
Ive done both.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:20 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,449,783 times
Quote:
Do you prefer the iPhone 8 (not 8 plus) or the iPhone X? And why?
I don't like the screen on the iPhone 8.

iPhone X has an OLED screen. Should be brighter, and not wash away in sunlight, like every other iPhone does.

If that matters to you then I would spend the extra money for the iPhone X.

If you're paranoid about Face ID, which a lot of people are, you do not have to set up Face ID, and can continue using the PIN. No fingerprint reader on the iPhone X though.

iPhone X has that notch. They should have waited until they were ready to put the camera underneath the screen. But I can see why they did not. Next iPhone should have camera and sensors underneath the screen; we'll see what happens.

I think that the notches will be short lived, both on the iPhone and on Android, once cameras underneath the screen take off.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:26 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,469,080 times
I’m still using an IPhone 6 and have no desire to upgrade, other than the fact that the phone is aging and a bit less reliable today due to battery degradation and routine wear and tear. Even with Apple slowing down the performance recently the phone still performs well. The 6 does everything you need in a modern smartphone. Replacing the battery for $29 at a local Apple store will fix the slowness issue and seems like good value. Also a new 6 can be purchased for around $150. I am debating between those two options. That will get me by 1-2 years until Iphone 11 or 12 comes out.

The newer IPhones do not seem like huge upgrades over the 6. Maybe the X is 50% faster and has a better camera, but the marginal improvements do not justify the $1000 price tag of the X. I have no desire for facial recognition over finger touch. The 7&8 have not been reduced enough in price and will be obsolete in 1-2 years. The average phone can only be expected to last realistically about 3-4 years before it becomes obsolete or breaks.

Supposedly in September 2018 the prices of IPhones will be cut across the board. I may spring for an X then. Staying put right now. If you are using a 5 and are on a tight budget just buy a 6 and plan on getting by only 1 year or so. Then spend the money you save on the newest phone next year.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:44 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,449,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
I’m still using an IPhone 6 and have no desire to upgrade, other than the fact that the phone is aging and a bit less reliable today due to battery degradation and routine wear and tear. Even with Apple slowing down the performance recently the phone still performs well. The 6 does everything you need in a modern smartphone. Replacing the battery for $29 at a local Apple store will fix the slowness issue and seems like good value. Also a new 6 can be purchased for around $150. I am debating between those two options. That will get me by 1-2 years until Iphone 11 or 12 comes out.

The newer IPhones do not seem like huge upgrades over the 6. Maybe the X is 50% faster and has a better camera, but the marginal improvements do not justify the $1000 price tag of the X. I have no desire for facial recognition over finger touch. The 7&8 have not been reduced enough in price and will be obsolete in 1-2 years. The average phone can only be expected to last realistically about 3-4 years before it becomes obsolete or breaks.

Supposedly in September 2018 the prices of IPhones will be cut across the board. I may spring for an X then. Staying put right now. If you are using a 5 and are on a tight budget just buy a 6 and plan on getting by only 1 year or so. Then spend the money you save on the newest phone next year.
Definitely. I have an 8 Plus but am not impressed by it. iPhone has matured to a point where you can stay a few generations behind and it should be okay.

I heard that the X is a one off phone though. So in September they'll stop producing new ones. Maybe you can find some unsold inventory or get a refurbished from Apple.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I don't like the screen on the iPhone 8.

iPhone X has an OLED screen. Should be brighter, and not wash away in sunlight, like every other iPhone does.

If that matters to you then I would spend the extra money for the iPhone X.

If you're paranoid about Face ID, which a lot of people are, you do not have to set up Face ID, and can continue using the PIN. No fingerprint reader on the iPhone X though.

iPhone X has that notch. They should have waited until they were ready to put the camera underneath the screen. But I can see why they did not. Next iPhone should have camera and sensors underneath the screen; we'll see what happens.

I think that the notches will be short lived, both on the iPhone and on Android, once cameras underneath the screen take off.
Note that OLED is subject to burn in. I’ve seen it with display phones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones