Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 08:47 PM

721 posts, read 1,211,140 times

Advertisements

I would like to get a new phone, preferably a smartphone. It seems that I have no choice but to replace my Blackberry Bold, because recently I'm unable to send emails. Both Verizon Wireless and Blackberry technical support told me that this phone is discontinued.

I pretty much look for the same features: Press a button (instead of swiping across the screen) to get a call; very clear call quality; and separate email icons for each of my yahoo email accounts, so that I can tell in which account I get new messages.

iPhone may not fit the bill, due to its poor call quality.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 09:55 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
I think you have it wrong with the iPhone. I’ve had an iPhone on att and Verizon over the last five years and friends and family have said we sound as clear as a landline on our iPhones. I asked before we got rid of our landline.

Where did you read about this poor quality issue? Consumer reports even said the iPhone had excellent call quality

Old 08-25-2018, 04:17 AM

6,478 posts, read 10,347,099 times
I agree that the iPhone is a good device and there is no poor quality issue that I have heard of. The OP needs to do a little more research before deciding on a replacement. While I prefer an Android phone, I would consider an iPhone any day.

Old 08-25-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Where did you read about this poor quality issue? Consumer reports even said the iPhone had excellent call quality
I search on google with keywords, "iphone, call quality". It returns some links discussing issues with some iphone's call quality. Below are the links to the articles.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8084521
(about iphone 8)

https://www.cultofmac.com/446366/iph...y-phone-calls/
(about iphone 7)

Old 08-25-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I agree that the iPhone is a good device and there is no poor quality issue that I have heard of. The OP needs to do a little more research before deciding on a replacement. While I prefer an Android phone, I would consider an iPhone any day.
I got an ipad to familiarize myself with the apple systems, while using my blackberry bold for calling.

To compare my ipad with blackberry, I'm unable to use separate icons for different email accounts on ipad. It's a single yahoo email box containing the multiple accounts. There is a red star persistently there supposedly indicating new emails, although I've already read all of my emails. I figure that as long as I have unread emails from history, the red star will forever be there. While on my blackberry, red star indicates new emails. Once I take a look at them, the red star disappears.

By the way, this is not a discussion of pros and cons of iphone. I understand that iphone is a very popular phone with many satisfied users around the globe.

I'm just looking for a phone mainly for calling that meets my particular requirements, be it iphone or some other phone.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:22 PM

12,977 posts, read 9,495,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveAlbuquerque View Post
I would like to get a new phone, preferably a smartphone. It seems that I have no choice but to replace my Blackberry Bold, because recently I'm unable to send emails. Both Verizon Wireless and Blackberry technical support told me that this phone is discontinued.

I pretty much look for the same features: Press a button (instead of swiping across the screen) to get a call; very clear call quality; and separate email icons for each of my yahoo email accounts, so that I can tell in which account I get new messages.

iPhone may not fit the bill, due to its poor call quality.

Any suggestions?
Poor call quality? I've had iPhones since they were introduced many years ago, and the call quality is excellent.

As far as email goes, there's one mail icon, but I touch that and my two email accounts with the number of new messages in each is shown.

It's more a matter of becoming accustomed to the new phone as much as anything.

Old 08-25-2018, 08:17 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,532,396 times
Yeah you will not be able to directly replace your Bold. Blackberry did make some androids a few years ago, including at least one with the physical keyboard - they were available on Verizon and I would bet you can get one cheap on Ebay. However a physical call/answer button simply isn't available. If you want one icon for each email that can be done.

I had a hard time adjusting to touch screens, and they were rather glitchy in years past but they have improved greatly. At one time I had a top of the line Droid 2 which was about a 50/50 chance of answering a call if the screen was locked. Now I'm using a low end prepaid phone which functions well.

Call quality is not an issue to be concerned with and never was with an Iphone. My wife has had since 2011 the Iphone 4,5,6 and 7 and never a problem with call quality. Meanwhile Ive had about 10 different LG, Motorola, and Nexus androids all had similar very good call quality. Even my bottom feeder Android prepaid phone will switch to digital HD calling in almost all situations.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:44 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
There are different ways to do what yuo want.
You could use Yahoo's app for JUST your Yahoo mail.
Use Apple Mail for your Gmail or whatever.
Download another app and use it for Hotmail.
I've done this. It's not as odd as it sounds.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:53 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
I found Yahoo's email app lacking. I access my gmail and ISP email through the Apple mail app. I access Yahoo from the web and not their app. I had similar issues as you - it left messages in there as unread that I had previously deleted. It was really annoying and it hogged a lot of my storage memory.

I've had iPhones since 2012 and the quality has always been excellent. If you use the phone's email capability as opposed to an app like Yahoo or gmail, I think you will be fine.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I found Yahoo's email app lacking. I access my gmail and ISP email through the Apple mail app. I access Yahoo from the web and not their app. I had similar issues as you - it left messages in there as unread that I had previously deleted. It was really annoying and it hogged a lot of my storage memory.

I've had iPhones since 2012 and the quality has always been excellent. If you use the phone's email capability as opposed to an app like Yahoo or gmail, I think you will be fine.

Since I have multiple yahoo email accounts, I agree with you in that I can access them from the web instead of the yahoo app.

I experiment accessing one yahoo email account from the web on my iPad mini 4. However, I am unable to locate the "Compose" option that I normally see on my laptop. I attach a screenshot from my iPad here. Could anyone tell me where the "Compose" option is?
Attached Thumbnails
What phone best meets the requirements?-nocompose_ipad.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones