Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 03:23 PM

3,887 posts, read 4,540,926 times

Advertisements

Has anyone used 4G instead of cable, especially working a remote job, or working while travelling?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 03:25 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
You mean as a hotspot? I've done it with a couple of carriers but not Verizon. Works fine. Just keep tabs on usage and limits.

Old 09-05-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
You mean as a hotspot? I've done it with a couple of carriers but not Verizon. Works fine. Just keep tabs on usage and limits.
Thanks for answering... yeah, if hubs tries it and it works we'd upgrade our already unlimited data plan.

BTW, I tried to delete this but couldn't because I meant to put this in the internet section, which I just did, so not sure how to correct the double post.

Old 09-05-2018, 03:47 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times
Default 4G instead of cable

While Hotspot is more of a way to function temporarily, Verizon does sell a home antenna that is a true substitute for cable. It is much more expensive than cable, but if you life in a place where only slow ADSL is available, it might be a reasonable option.

I think that with 5G it will be much more cost effective to get all of your data needs via cellular.

Old 09-05-2018, 04:51 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,095 times
Every day for almost 4 years now (my wife and I are full time RVrs, and I own a small software company). What would you like to know?

Old 09-06-2018, 05:56 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Every day for almost 4 years now (my wife and I are full time RVrs, and I own a small software company). What would you like to know?
Yes, I do have a question. Here are some sample plans.

Straight Talk 5 gB Hotspot for $50 on various networks

Boost Mobile 10 Gb Hotspot for $50 on Sprint network

Boost Mobile Unlimited Talk & Text with Hotspot 40 Gigs for $80

AT&T Unlimited &More Premium $80: 15 GB of Hotspot and 33 TV channels

What does one do? Do you watch antenna TV to keep your data usage down? Do you pay less than $100 per month per person?

Old 09-06-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Yes, I do have a question. Here are some sample plans.

What does one do? Do you watch antenna TV to keep your data usage down? Do you pay less than $100 per month per person?
We stream 100% of our TV watching, and usually use between 250 and 300 GB per month.

We knew that we were going to do this a couple of years before we did, so I held onto my original Grandfathered Verizon Unlimited Plan. It's actually a 2008 Alltel plan with no throttling or network management, unlimited text, and 500 minutes of talk (including free cell to cell on Verizon, and My Circle, so I can easily manage with 500 minutes). Through various tricks, we've managed to keep these lines under contract until this year (one line still has a few months of contract left).

That Verizon plan has 3 lines and Verizon has no limitation on using these plans in Jetpacks / MiFis, so two of the SIM cards get rotated between a Jetpack and a spare phone. We attempt to keep the usage at about 100 GB per line each month (a threshold that Verizon was using a couple of years back to terminate these plans). The third line is my phone.

We also have an AT&T Connected Car Unlimited plan that was available for a short time a year or so ago. The device that this plan uses (a Mobley) doesn't actually communicate with the car, so you can use it by just plugging it into a 12 v power supply. That plan is has unlimited data with network management at 25 GB, but we've gone well over that several times without issues.

My wife's phone is on a T-Mobile One+ International plan (unlimited voice, text, and data with 50 GB network management, and unlimited Mobile Hotspot, all available internationally). We can use it as a backup, or when traveling in Canada or Mexico as our Verizon and AT&T plans won't work there.

We tend to be somewhere new every week or two, so having multiple carriers is important so that I can work for my clients.

All of that gear is tied through a couple of travel routers into a single "house" router, so that all of our equipment in the fifth wheel connects to a single network, and I can change the carrier / device providing the signal above the house network without having to change anything else. We also have a WeBoost cell booster, and two antennas on the roof that plug directly to the Verizon Jetpack to help with signal.

Per person cost is tough: On my old Verizon plan the first device (my phone) is $109 per month. My wife's T-Mobile plan is $95 a month. So for phones only we're just over $100 per person.

On the Verizon plan, extra lines are $60 each (they used to be $40) but don't allow tethering, so I add tethering to one line for $30. We pay $150 for those two extra Verizon lines.

The AT&T plan is $20 (a killer deal).

None of those numbers include taxes, fees, equipment payment plans, or insurance.

We belong to several groups of other full time travelers (boaters and RVers), and our setup is similar to what at lot of others use (and we're in the middle of the range in terms of complication and cost).

While many of these plans are no longer available, there are a number of companies and individuals that resell or rent older unlimited plans from the different carriers (some of it is grey / black market, and some is legit), so a lot of people use those (rentals of old plans can range from $60 - $200 a month).

A lot of people also use plans that include unlimited "on device" data, and just use an HDMI cable (or wireless screen mirroring) to mirror the phone or tablet to the TV.

There are also some industry groups (like FMCA) that have re-seller agreements with the carriers that allow them to sell plans to their members (although the Verizon FMCA plan is throttled hard at 25 GB).

Old 09-07-2018, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Hello yes! That is great to hear. I'm very interested on tips about rv living as well, maybe I could send DM if you wouldn't mind?
So I just read through the answers you provided to Paco Martin and my eyes crossed.
I am going to show my husband this thread as he is the tech guy.
Thank you for your replies.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Hello yes! That is great to hear. I'm very interested on tips about rv living as well, maybe I could send DM if you wouldn't mind?
That's fine.

I'd also have him check out: https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/

IMO the content that they provide is well worth the cost, but there's also a ton of free resources there, including guides that will help you decide to get started / what you need (based on your own needs and budget).

They also have a very large, and very helpful free Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/rvinternet/

The people that run the site / group are long time full time RVers and Cruisers (full time boaters) and really know their stuff.

Old 09-07-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
While Hotspot is more of a way to function temporarily, Verizon does sell a home antenna that is a true substitute for cable. It is much more expensive than cable, but if you life in a place where only slow ADSL is available, it might be a reasonable option.

I think that with 5G it will be much more cost effective to get all of your data needs via cellular.
They sell them in 5G?

Okay, just Googled and a bunch of headlines came up about cancer concerns. Of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones