Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Dislike Bluetooth technology, uncomfortable to wear on ear, cannot wear sunglasses with Bluetooth ear piece, seeking opinions from others about Bluetooth

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 11:34 AM

286 posts, read 1,322,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
When that call I'm waiting for while in line comes and I miss it, I have the potential if losing out on a lot of money. I don't care if you think I look silly, I'm making money while I stand in a line with a bunch of people who probably don't earn more than $12.00 an hour.
I can always count on my phone ringing when I'm in line getting coffee, at the bank or the post office. It never fails! So, I'll keep my earpiece in when I make quick stops.

As to the distraction of talking on the phone while driving, it's far less than driving with 2 toddlers in the back!!! Now, THAT's distracting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 05:46 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,280,641 times
Quote:
When that call I'm waiting for while in line comes and I miss it, I have the potential if losing out on a lot of money. I don't care if you think I look silly, I'm making money while I stand in a line with a bunch of people who probably don't earn more than $12.00 an hour.
Well... i was really referring to those that are pretty obviously wearing it for the sake of wearing it.

However, since you brought it up....(going off topic here ) that whole talking on the phone in public is a different issue. It's not like I myself never do it.... and I certainly understand the change in etiquette with new technology. But there are still those that make an effort to NOT bother those around them (phone on vibrate, keeping the call to a minimum etc.)... and there are those that I think actually speak louder just so they can be heard.

Also, why is how much money one makes a justification for being selfish and potentially rude? If I make more, do I get to talk louder than you?
Or what if I'm an account manager stopping off at the coffee shop with my client while discussing a multi-million dollar deal? Do we get to talk as loud as we like in the restaurant because we're probably making more than anyone else at the moment?

I generally have no issues with people taking a quick call... But there are times when people have put their conversation ahead of what they were doing at that moment... which often also affects those around them. Is there a reason I need to stand in line for 3 extra minutes so someone can finish their call and THEN place an order?

Sorry - back on topic.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:08 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,503,555 times
I agree entirely macroy, but at the same time... its a restaurant. Theres going to be conversation.

I really don't care what people do, as long they don't hold anyone up from getting THEIR work done. Maybe you have to make that phone call to make that money... but I have to get into work to make mine.

If I get a call while I'm in line at starbucks or whatnot, I either ignore it, or if its important and I'm about to order, I will step out of line and take the call, then come back in at the end of the line. Or if I'm farther back, I'll pick it up, tell them I'll call them back in 5, and hang up.

Same kind of idea for when I'm about to start class and my dad calls me... three times.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:32 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,238,927 times
Bluetooth has some cool functions. But the earpieces have been mostly misused if you ask me, and they have created annoying bluetooth guy and annoying bluetooth girl who feel the need to use the earpieces everywhere.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 04-04-2008 at 10:29 AM..

Old 04-04-2008, 04:00 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Well... i was really referring to those that are pretty obviously wearing it for the sake of wearing it.

However, since you brought it up....(going off topic here ) that whole talking on the phone in public is a different issue. It's not like I myself never do it.... and I certainly understand the change in etiquette with new technology. But there are still those that make an effort to NOT bother those around them (phone on vibrate, keeping the call to a minimum etc.)... and there are those that I think actually speak louder just so they can be heard.

Also, why is how much money one makes a justification for being selfish and potentially rude? If I make more, do I get to talk louder than you?
Or what if I'm an account manager stopping off at the coffee shop with my client while discussing a multi-million dollar deal? Do we get to talk as loud as we like in the restaurant because we're probably making more than anyone else at the moment?

I generally have no issues with people taking a quick call... But there are times when people have put their conversation ahead of what they were doing at that moment... which often also affects those around them. Is there a reason I need to stand in line for 3 extra minutes so someone can finish their call and THEN place an order?

Sorry - back on topic.
I treat public calls much like Radek. I'm not sure where you came up with the idea that I'm loud when I take calls, if that was what you meant. On the contrary, I don't think what I'm saying is anyone else's business so I keep my voice low and call time to a minimum. Hence the "call me back and leave a message" then not answering the phone so they can.

Making money while engaged in other activities is not a bad thing, but being obnoxious while in the process is.

You would have loved the woman we sat across from the last time we flew back from LV. She sat in an airport terminal discussing her family's business, monies, who had what jewelry, what it cost, where they bought it, blah, blah, blah for about 30 minutes.

From what she said on the call I can tell you where she lives within a half block. I can also find the addresses of those she talked about on Google and what I would expect to find in their houses if I was inclined to break into them, which I certainly am not.

That woman was a full-blown idiot.

But, again, back on topic. OP, you might try just wearing the ear piece in the house for awhile just to see if you can get used to it. Driving your car is not the time to figure out how it works!

Old 04-04-2008, 04:19 PM

6,589 posts, read 11,280,641 times
Quote:
I treat public calls much like Radek. I'm not sure where you came up with the idea that I'm loud when I take calls, if that was what you meant. On the contrary, I don't think what I'm saying is anyone else's business so I keep my voice low and call time to a minimum. Hence the "call me back and leave a message" then not answering the phone so they can.

Making money while engaged in other activities is not a bad thing, but being obnoxious while in the process is.

You would have loved the woman we sat across from the last time we flew back from LV. She sat in an airport terminal discussing her family's business, monies, who had what jewelry, what it cost, where they bought it, blah, blah, blah for about 30 minutes.

From what she said on the call I can tell you where she lives within a half block. I can also find the addresses of those she talked about on Google and what I would expect to find in their houses if I was inclined to break into them, which I certainly am not.

That woman was a full-blown idiot.

But, again, back on topic. OP, you might try just wearing the ear piece in the house for awhile just to see if you can get used to it. Driving your car is not the time to figure out how it works!
Radek hit the nail on the head - use common sense. I wasn't insinuating that you did those things... just countering with extreme examples .

The sad thing with that lady at the terminal is that she probably thought it made her sound "better" - not realizing that it could end up costing her if there were malicious people around.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:48 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,503,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Radek hit the nail on the head - use common sense. I wasn't insinuating that you did those things... just countering with extreme examples .

The sad thing with that lady at the terminal is that she probably thought it made her sound "better" - not realizing that it could end up costing her when there were malicious people around.
I think thats what you were trying to say
The popular term used for this off another forum is just simply: fixed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones