U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Dislike Bluetooth technology, uncomfortable to wear on ear, cannot wear sunglasses with Bluetooth ear piece, seeking opinions from others about Bluetooth

Old 04-02-2008, 12:22 PM

22,974 posts, read 61,833,436 times

Advertisements

My pookie bought me a blue tooth since when I am in my car I have to pull over to talk on the cell phone (I know I am rare breed).
I cant manage a coffee cup with out spilling it much less any devices.

I use it if I am away from them and expecting their call but that is it so they do not know I hate it.

I just feel the volume is not that loud and it looks weird. I keep thinking people have a horse fly by their ear and I want to go swat it.

I am not even go into people having conversations and you think they are talking to you but they are talking on that ear wax collector...urgh

I like technology but I just dont get this one I think it is uncomfortable and trying to balance it with sunglasses is another thing.
Also it is one more thing you gotta charge.

What is your view on bluetooth and does it cause loss of hearing or tumors?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 02:13 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,102 posts, read 35,581,735 times
In my opinion the flaw with using cellphones while driving is that the phone takes the driver's attention away from the most important task. While Bluetooth headsets or speakerphones free up the hands for that task, they do nothing to free up the mind.

IMHO, your instincts are correct about using your phone while driving. If you aren't comfortable using your hands to do it, you shouldn't do it with a Bluetooth device either.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:57 PM

1,397 posts, read 7,402,542 times
I'd say that's good advice....there have only been a cpl of quicky studies done thus far (AAA 4 xple) but the data indicates that hands free is NO safer than hands on. The push to fine $$$ for hands on is a money motivated thing...not a safety issue. (IMHO)

Old 04-02-2008, 04:07 PM

28,736 posts, read 43,810,688 times
I know I'm in the minority, but I have to disagree. I do agree that people using cell phones while driving are a danger, more so than normal. I don't think that hands free use is more dangerous than talking with someone in the passenger seat, and less so than turning around to talk with someone in the back.

I use Bluetooth when driving. I press a button on the ear piece speak the number I want to call and take care of business. When I'm done I push the button again and the call disconnects. To answer I press the same button.

No dialing, no looking at the phone instead of the road, very little distraction. I find there is more attention pulled from the road when someone else is in the car than when I'm on a hands free cell call. If there is something I need a note for I ask the person I'm talking to to immediately call back and leave a message. When the phone rings again I don't answer.

I don't find the headset to be a bother with my glasses or to be unsightly.

Since I run a business and need to stay in contact with clients, hands free works great for me. The amount of money I would lose in a year if I didn't answer the call and new clients went elsewhere would be a big bite out of my income.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:33 PM

5,080 posts, read 13,907,723 times
I don't use a Bluetooth headset. Instead I have a speaker/microphone device in my car called a Jabra SP500. It clips on the visor.

It has a speaker and microphone built in so when my phone rings I just press a button on the device and I can talk and listen. The sound quality is good and I don't have to hold anything in my hand or have anything on my ear.

It has a rechargeable battery and comes with cables that can recharge from both AC and 12VDC. It also comes with a clip for the visor, and a suction cup deal if you want to mount it on the window.

My cell phone has voice dial, which I never use, but in this case it's really handy as all I have to do to make a call is reach up and press the button on the Jabra and say "Home" and it will dial my home phone. If I say my wife's name, it will dial her cell phone.

I got it on Amazon for $25.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:47 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,220,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
In my opinion the flaw with using cellphones while driving is that the phone takes the driver's attention away from the most important task. While Bluetooth headsets or speakerphones free up the hands for that task, they do nothing to free up the mind.

IMHO, your instincts are correct about using your phone while driving. If you aren't comfortable using your hands to do it, you shouldn't do it with a Bluetooth device either.
Ironically, I am MORE attentive when on the phone. Here's why.
On a long drive across rural Montana, theres not a whole lot to see. Talking to someone allows me to keep my mind focused on something so that it doesn't go to sleep. I don't have in depth conversations, just catching up on things and talking for the sake of talking. It keeps me awake and alert.

I like my bluetooth. I don't care if people think that I'm talking to myself, or if I think I'm REALLY that important... Screw 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I know I'm in the minority, but I have to disagree. I do agree that people using cell phones while driving are a danger, more so than normal. I don't think that hands free use is more dangerous than talking with someone in the passenger seat, and less so than turning around to talk with someone in the back.

I use Bluetooth when driving. I press a button on the ear piece speak the number I want to call and take care of business. When I'm done I push the button again and the call disconnects. To answer I press the same button.

No dialing, no looking at the phone instead of the road, very little distraction. I find there is more attention pulled from the road when someone else is in the car than when I'm on a hands free cell call. If there is something I need a note for I ask the person I'm talking to to immediately call back and leave a message. When the phone rings again I don't answer.

I don't find the headset to be a bother with my glasses or to be unsightly.

Since I run a business and need to stay in contact with clients, hands free works great for me. The amount of money I would lose in a year if I didn't answer the call and new clients went elsewhere would be a big bite out of my income.
QFT.

Im an independent tech contractor. If I don't answer that phone call the first time around, the likelihood someone will snatch the job before i call back.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:18 AM

13,334 posts, read 35,894,843 times
People that have hearing problems seem so ashamed to use hearing aide...but seems most use Bluetooth [eek what a name] & think nothing of it!! In the long run guess that you will be able to except hearing loss....

Old 04-03-2008, 06:30 AM

5,479 posts, read 9,423,406 times
Doing anything other than "driving" while driving is dangerous. Add to the fact that the majority of us aren't "good" drivers makes it that much worse. But hey, its human nature.. we don't do a risk assessment for all of our actions.

Oh, and pet peeve: Bluetooth is a wireless standard (i.e your wireless mouse/keyboard, PDA's, computer, etc can all use it to communicate using bluetooth), not just a headset. Perhaps its just me, but it annoys me when someone says "my bluetooth". Kinda like when people say "PIN Number" or "VIN Number", or type MAC for a Macintosh. Sorry - haven't' had coffee yet

What amuses me these days are those that just walk around with them... at Starbucks, standing there reading the menu at Chipotles, or while pumping gas. Dude, you know how stupid you look? Around here, its become a stereotype as a certain demographic can be counted on to always have one. Yes it was neat 10 years ago when it first came out... but now you just look like a uber dork.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:11 AM

1,397 posts, read 7,402,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post

Oh, and pet peeve: Bluetooth is a wireless standard (i.e your wireless mouse/keyboard, PDA's, computer, etc can all use it to communicate using bluetooth), not just a headset. Perhaps its just me, but it annoys me when someone says "my bluetooth". .
I've tried to explain that to so many people...and it's amazing...often I get told I'm wrong and don't know what i'm talking about....I've stopped trying to clue people in....I call it the arrogance of ignorance

Old 04-03-2008, 07:35 AM

28,736 posts, read 43,810,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Doing anything other than "driving" while driving is dangerous. Add to the fact that the majority of us aren't "good" drivers makes it that much worse. But hey, its human nature.. we don't do a risk assessment for all of our actions.

Did I ever tell you about the woman I saw weaving all over the road, doing 40 on the freeway? I got past her in the rightmost lane to get off on my ramp and here she comes up the ramp. Pulls up on my left. Got a cell phone wedged in her right shoulder, a lit cigarette stuck in her mouth, wafting smoke in her eyes, and she's putting on makeup.

Oh, and pet peeve: Bluetooth is a wireless standard (i.e your wireless mouse/keyboard, PDA's, computer, etc can all use it to communicate using bluetooth), not just a headset. Perhaps its just me, but it annoys me when someone says "my bluetooth". Kinda like when people say "PIN Number" or "VIN Number", or type MAC for a Macintosh. Sorry - haven't' had coffee yet

Uh, did I read the phrase uber dork in this thread somewhere?
Oh, and it's an uber dork, not a uber dork. If you're going to insult someone at least use proper English.

What amuses me these days are those that just walk around with them... at Starbucks, standing there reading the menu at Chipotles, or while pumping gas. Dude, you know how stupid you look? Around here, its become a stereotype as a certain demographic can be counted on to always have one. Yes it was neat 10 years ago when it first came out... but now you just look like a uber dork.
When that call I'm waiting for while in line comes and I miss it, I have the potential if losing out on a lot of money. I don't care if you think I look silly, I'm making money while I stand in a line with a bunch of people who probably don't earn more than $12.00 an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones