Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 08:26 PM

6,478 posts, read 10,350,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
Why not change your number? My wife just changed hers online and it was easy and didn't take long.
The issue for most is that they get attached to their current phone # and don't want to change/lose it for anything despite that it is the obvious answer for this very type of issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 04:53 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
The issue for most is that they get attached to their current phone # and don't want to change/lose it for anything despite that it is the obvious answer for this very type of issue.
Over the years( since 1990) I’ve changed my mobile number three times. Here is how it works: you tell everyone who matters that your new number is xxx-xxx-xxxx. And it’s done! Has not been a problem. My current mobile number is 6 years old and the need to to change it will hopefully never happen. The change was made when I dropped our landline and I ported our landline number to my mobile.

It seems the OP DOES need to get a new mobile number. I’m with Verizon and it was easy to get a new number

Old 10-06-2018, 05:17 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,961 times
Quote:
Why not change your number? My wife just changed hers online and it was easy and didn't take long.
As someone pointed out you have no guarantee that the new number will also get its share of junk calls.

Also, although I try to avoid using my mobile number for 2-factor verification on web sites (it just puts in in more databases), there are some where I had to or, like Uber, the app uses that phone number. Having changed e-mail addresses on occasion, I've found it takes about 6 months before you realize how many accounts are tied to that e-mail address and you don't remember until you need to reset a password or verify your identity. Now try and reset a password by having them send a text to a mobile number you no longer have and forgot to update!

Old 10-06-2018, 05:27 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Especially when they have the only number in the system so affected, and a newly-released number isn't going to have anyone, good or bad, trying to reach Brian or Tina or Mrs. Menendez on it.

Old 10-07-2018, 06:36 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,402,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
My wife and I have had our cell phone numbers for over 9 1/2 years and still get regular calls from bill collectors looking for old owners. Telling them how long we've had them, even giving the Facebook profiles and addresses of old owners have had no effect. Getting hostile or calling back for a supervisor is futile. Changing numbers at verizon is a joke. The number I had before was a out of business airplane business. Just felt like venting thanks.
It's sometimes good to vent and, yes, others feel your pain. About six telephone numbers ago, I was assigned a number for my new very first cell phone. As I discovered, that number was previously used by experienced scammers/deadbeats who cheated everyone they possibly could and then skipped out owing tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars to, basically, everybody. I got angry bill collectors ringing me non stop every day I had that number. I explained to them at length that the couple were long gone; the phone company gave me that number; I did not know those people or how to find them. The foreign call centers insisted that since I now had the number, that made me 100% legally responsible for paying their debts. Some threatened lawsuits. Others threatened visits by shadowy characters that would be severely injurious to my health and that of my family unless I paid up. I got scared and cancelled the phone completely.

At least these days it seems to be easier to change numbers. Whew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones