Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 09:42 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,833,452 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have had our cell phone numbers for over 9 1/2 years and still get regular calls from bill collectors looking for old owners. Telling them how long we've had them, even giving the Facebook profiles and addresses of old owners have had no effect. Getting hostile or calling back for a supervisor is futile. Changing numbers at verizon is a joke. The number I had before was a out of business airplane business. Just felt like venting thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 12:27 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
Tell them "the checks in the mail".

Old 09-29-2018, 01:10 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,891,980 times
Talking .

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Tell them "the checks in the mail".
Good idea!

Tell them you'll send a cashiers check and you need their name & mailing address, phone number to call when it's coming. After you have their info, you can put them on all the postcards for magazine subscriptions with "bill me later". lol Write their phone number on bathroom walls at gas stations along the interstate as well...... LOL

Old 09-29-2018, 02:37 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,013,928 times
^^best answer I've ever seen!

Old 09-29-2018, 02:42 PM

45,426 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
My wife and I have had our cell phone numbers for over 9 1/2 years and still get regular calls from bill collectors looking for old owners. Telling them how long we've had them, even giving the Facebook profiles and addresses of old owners have had no effect. Getting hostile or calling back for a supervisor is futile. Changing numbers at verizon is a joke. The number I had before was a out of business airplane business. Just felt like venting thanks.
Same thing's been happening to me and I've had the number for almost 15 years. What's concerning is that she's still using it on credit applications and as a "good" number.

I know that because one of the calls was about an overdue water/sewer bill and impending service shutoff for a town in Maryland. A couple of the town's officials are close personal and professional friends so they checked it out for me. The number was used 3 months before the call so she's still using it.

Old 09-29-2018, 06:16 PM

4,143 posts, read 3,060,186 times
You have my sympathy. I have thought about changing my landline number to stop some political calls. However, it would be a huge hassle updating my number for those who need to call me; I would be sure to miss people. I'm also concerned that if I did change my number, the new number would come with its own set of undesirable callers.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:10 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,830,027 times
The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act
https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/rule...tices-act-text
Provides you with specific protections against harassment. From the above:
What if I don’t think I owe the debt?
... You can get a collector to stop contacting you, at any time, by sending a letter by mail asking for contact to stop.
Then read further down:
Where do I report a debt collector for an alleged violation?
What else can I do if I think a debt collector has broken the law?

In summary, when they contact you asking for payment, they are very used to people lying on the phone and have strong motivation to keep going. NOTHING you say over the phone can force them to stop. Get the person's name, company name, and mailing address. Then send them a registered-letter referencing the above law and demanding they stop contacting you.

RE: water/sewer bills: Note that I think for some reason this specific utility's billing is handled differently than power, cable, phone, rent, and other bills.

Old 09-30-2018, 11:35 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
I read something recently that was suggesting these debt collection agencies that buy up 'old debts' and attempt to collect on them, are not legitimate at all, even if you do owe the money, it had something to do with the original debt having been sold/ written off, and this changes the whole game.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:04 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,102,660 times
I have had my phone number for 5 years and I still get calls for some guy named Brian. People even leave messages about job interviews for him. This guy should have updated his info by now.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:16 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,010,811 times
Why not change your number? My wife just changed hers online and it was easy and didn't take long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones