Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2018, 03:06 AM

3,887 posts, read 4,540,926 times

Advertisements

I've had my Android for a few years and in the past sometimes if hangs or something isn't working right I just turn the phone off then on, and it's usually fine. The past couple of times it starts to turn back on, and then it goes dark with the exception of a percentage number in the middle of the screen surrounded by a neon green circle with little dots surrounding it flashing in a steady pulse. This is a first for me! Problem is until it gets to 100% I can't use my phone and it can take a long time, for instance, it's been an hour now.

Okay so first world problems, and the chances are slim that I'd need to use my phone in an emergency, but it is a slight concern and very annoying. All other times when there's been updates, they might slow things down a bit, but no big deal, I can see the little down arrows telling me it's downloading some updates or whatever. But I could always use my phone! Grrrrr!! Anyone have infor for little old me?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 07:25 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
There are over 100 Android phones. Can we have your specific model?

Old 10-23-2018, 09:59 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,826,963 times
Keep in mind that smart phones are actual full computers, and like almost all computers, as they do their stuff day after day they get more and more "congested". With what doesn't matter, but if you turn it off and back on, (re-boot), it clears all that stuff away.

Not just put it to sleep with a quick squeeze of the power button, but a full reboot: For the Android phone:
Hold down the power button for 2+ seconds until it displays the Power Options menu, hit Restart, a Confirm dialog will display, hit Restart. Then wait about a minute for it to do it's reboot.
I do this weekly with my android phone, my android tablet, and my Windows PC.

I don't know what your phone is saying with the 'neon green circle with little dots surrounding it flashing in a steady pulse', that sounds like something that's specific to the manufacture and model of your phone.
As mentioned by the earlier poster, providing your specific phone information might make it easier for someone else who has that phone to know to provide an answer.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:38 AM

6,478 posts, read 10,347,099 times
The OP's question sounds like what my Samsung Galaxy phone does when it is charging but is powered off. When I turn on my phone on the green circle with the number disappears (battery charge percentage) and the phone works fine.

Could be a system failure with the phone. OP may have to have the phone evaluated at a phone repair shop to see if it can be fixed on the cheap or if it is time to buy a new phone instead.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:49 PM

3,887 posts, read 4,540,926 times
Sorry for lack of details, it's SM-J727V

It has done this when I completely power down the phone then restart it.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:37 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Sounds like it might be overheating when charging and slowing down due to this.

Old 10-26-2018, 08:49 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,129,715 times
How old is it? Is the OS current? have you reinstalled the OS? Have you powered it down, and then left it for at least two hours so that all the previous stuff drains out?

If none of these things work, you need service. That may be problematic with your Samsung.

Last edited by slyfox2; 10-26-2018 at 09:21 AM..

Old 10-26-2018, 09:12 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Perhaps your phone memory is too full? Did you performed cache cleaning? Virus scan?
Do you still need all the apps in your phone? How old it is?
I don't have my phone set up to download app updates automatically. I do it manually and it gives me a moment to reflect if I really need/use that app, or perhaps can get rid of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones