Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 07:30 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson15 View Post
Actually yes they do. Facebook is one app that when you accept the requested permissions it uses information gathered from the microphone to customize ads
No... no it doesn't. Remove the tin foil hat, please. When FB asks for permission to use your Microphone it is so you can do things like ... use the microphone with FB. By going "Live" or using it with the Messenger app.
There is nothing like what you mentioned going on and as I said earlier: it would be ridiculously easy to prove. Install a network monitoring app. Put you phone on the same network. Any data being sent from your phone back to FB could easily be traced. FB Google all of them would be busted so fast for doing this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 12:06 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
No... no it doesn't. Remove the tin foil hat, please. When FB asks for permission to use your Microphone it is so you can do things like ... use the microphone with FB. By going "Live" or using it with the Messenger app.
There is nothing like what you mentioned going on and as I said earlier: it would be ridiculously easy to prove. Install a network monitoring app. Put you phone on the same network. Any data being sent from your phone back to FB could easily be traced. FB Google all of them would be busted so fast for doing this...
Do you remember awhile back when Samsung was busted for putting spy tech into its tv sets? they could actually spy on what was going on in the room where the tv was at...Before they were caught, they had been doing this for awhile and yet no one knew they were doing it.

Point is, it was new and secret technology at one point. Its pretty naive to think similar things are not happening right now, with other devices, they just havent been caught yet.

Im fairly certain there are many many methods they use to spy on us, that we have no knowledge of, I have a sneaky feeling they are even employing 'sci-fi' type tech.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:36 PM

Ah yes... the famous "Samsung is capturing your audio" that everyone equates to "Smart TV's eavesdrop on you". Jeez... how long did that go on? It didn't. It barely got started when a website...
/Googles to make sure I credit the right site.../
Ah yes... the Daily Beast. https://www.thedailybeast.com/your-s...-you-basically
It all came out when someone from that site... READ Samsungs Privacy Policy. Crazy! :P

This is all just the latest conspiracy theory.

If anything, FB Google, Apple... all the big guys are going to be under much closer scrutiny than Samsung. There are simply WAY to many suspicious people out there to think there aren't a ton of nerds and geeks (not being offensive here, I am a nerd) who are monitoring their networks ready to just blow the lid off any company doing this.
I really hope Amazon isn't cocky enough to think they could survive a scandal like "We have been recording, analyzing and keeping your conversations on our servers."
Yea, there's just no way. And going back to the original post: wouldn't they be kind of dumb to make it THAT obvious??!!? Yes.. Yes it would be.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/phone-l...ok-google-ads/
Please read that.

I did a similar test. I talked about things I have no interest in: a Gucci purse. I talked to my phone and in ear shot of my Google Home. I talked to my phone with screen on and off. In my hand and on the table.Turned it off and on. Used my computer, did some unrelated Google searches with Chrome while still discussing Gucci purses with my wife.
To this day I've still never seen an ad for a Gucci purse

Old 11-26-2018, 12:58 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,662,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I did a similar test. I talked about things I have no interest in: a Gucci purse. I talked to my phone and in ear shot of my Google Home. I talked to my phone with screen on and off. In my hand and on the table.Turned it off and on. Used my computer, did some unrelated Google searches with Chrome while still discussing Gucci purses with my wife.
To this day I've still never seen an ad for a Gucci purse
This was obviously some sort of super advanced secret AI that's smart enough to know that you were trying to trick it into showing you adds for something that you don't want.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:30 AM

Of course, you're probably right. Damn computers outwitting me again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones