Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 11:21 PM

5,326 posts, read 8,499,543 times

Advertisements

It seem like the Iphone 6s is the last model with an earphone jack - correct? I'm kind of toying with getting one just because I like this feature. Not sure I want to have more expensive, wireless headphones.

Does the Iphone 6s have the battery problems that have been in the news lately?

I can buy this new one for $299 - but I am trying to figure out if this is an unlocked phone or not - can someone help me?

https://shop.totalwireless.com/shop/...iphone-6s-32gb

If it is unlocked, can I just put my simcard from my current provider into the phone and switch to it that way?

THanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 06:21 AM

4,660 posts, read 3,827,240 times
Yes, 6s is the last one with a jack. Newer iPhones will need a $9 dongle if you want to use wired headphones.
https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightni...adphone+dongle

I have a 6S plus. I haven't had any battery problems.

I thought the phone you listed would be locked to Total Wireless, but it gives you the option to buy it with 'no plan, device only.' Interesting. I'm not sure if it's unlocked.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:48 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,484,340 times
I have the iPhone 7. The lack of a 3.5 mm jack is really a nonissue. I had to replace my 6s with a 7 due to a defect. The 7 was quite a jump up. The 7 is noticeably faster, with a better camera and speakers. Being waterproof is nice. It came with a dongle so I can use my Beats earbuds. The dongle stays on my earbuds and takes up zero room.

Do you still seek out a computer that uses a floppy disc? Kind of the same thing. If charging your phone and listening to music at the same time is important to you, get an 8 or Xs. My Beats earbuds work well with my jackless iPhone.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:21 AM

16,475 posts, read 19,512,945 times
Zip it Mr 5150. This is a very contentious issue still in the 'tech world'. :P

So you can't charge your phone and use headphones, can you? hmmmmmm?
Answer: no. If she doesn't want to screw around with a dongle, leave her alone. Personally I still seriously miss the headphone jack. I've already lost one dongle. Then I was leaving on a trip and couldn't find the dongle for my Esssential phone and grabbed the one from my old Motorola.... can you guess? It wouldn't work on the Essential. OMG I was so ticked...

I finally caved and bought some Bluetooth headphones. Not bad but YET another thing to charge with a different type of charger....
She wants what she wants.

Are you SURE that's unlocked? I seriously doubt you can buy that and go somewhere else as soon as you get it.
A carrier is not going to sell a phone and NOT lock you in somehow so you can't on day 1 cancel and go somewhere else.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:33 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,423,119 times
Within a year or two, no manufacturer is going to be selling a phone with a 3.5mm jack.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:09 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,484,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Zip it Mr 5150. This is a very contentious issue still in the 'tech world'. :P

So you can't charge your phone and use headphones, can you? hmmmmmm?
Answer: no. If she doesn't want to screw around with a dongle, leave her alone. Personally I still seriously miss the headphone jack. I've already lost one dongle. Then I was leaving on a trip and couldn't find the dongle for my Esssential phone and grabbed the one from my old Motorola.... can you guess? It wouldn't work on the Essential. OMG I was so ticked...

I finally caved and bought some Bluetooth headphones. Not bad but YET another thing to charge with a different type of charger....
She wants what she wants.

Are you SURE that's unlocked? I seriously doubt you can buy that and go somewhere else as soon as you get it.
A carrier is not going to sell a phone and NOT lock you in somehow so you can't on day 1 cancel and go somewhere else.
Gads. Of all the issues of life the lack of a 3.5 mm jack is so far down the list I can’t even see it. Unless your smartphone is the most important thing to you. For me, family, friends, my physical and spiritual health rank way above the lack of a 3.5 mm jack on my iPhone.

Two side notes: pay attention to your battery level and you will not be caught short (I realize that is hard for some like Mrs5150) Second, I buy my phones from the Apple store, not from Verizon, so they are unlocked.

I would never advise anyone to buy an outdated phone just to have the 3.5mm jack. The 6s is ok, but the 7,8 and up are so much better

Old 11-30-2018, 10:20 AM

1,156 posts, read 930,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Gads. Of all the issues of life the lack of a 3.5 mm jack is so far down the list I can’t even see it. Unless your smartphone is the most important thing to you. For me, family, friends, my physical and spiritual health rank way above the lack of a 3.5 mm jack on my iPhone.
Well this is the cell phone and smartphone sub-forum.

Old 11-30-2018, 12:08 PM

I have to be honest and say one of the things that is so consistent on CD, and always bothers me, is how there is such a need to attack people for things they say in their OPs. I don't get it. It just seems like folks need an outlet for their negativity, or need to feel superior.

Thanks to those who were trying to be helpful.

Old 11-30-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Yes, 6s is the last one with a jack. Newer iPhones will need a $9 dongle if you want to use wired headphones.
https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightni...adphone+dongle

I have a 6S plus. I haven't had any battery problems.

I thought the phone you listed would be locked to Total Wireless, but it gives you the option to buy it with 'no plan, device only.' Interesting. I'm not sure if it's unlocked.

Thank you- yes, I am also confused about whether that phone is unlocked for the same reason you mentioned.

Old 11-30-2018, 12:37 PM

16,475 posts, read 19,512,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I don't get this reply at all. This is hardly anything ANYONE is losing sleep over. I would never expect this kind of reply from you. Why do you even hang out here then? Don't you have family and friends to hang out with? You do realize when I said "Zip it" I am playing around with you.
This is a tech forum where we talk about technology and help others with it. Is this some big deal that, as I said, I am losing sleep over? No. I am much more concerned about things in my 'real life'. But I enjoy helping people with this stuff so it's something I do in my spare time.

Sorry, but you should know me well enough to know one of my pet peeves is when someone asks for help and someone else says "you're doing it wrong".
Like: Hey I want a new Windows computer!
Oh, you should get an Apple.

Quote:
Two side notes: pay attention to your battery level and you will not be caught short (I realize that is hard for some like Mrs5150)
Have you been on an 8 hour flight?

Quote:
I would never advise anyone to buy an outdated phone just to have the 3.5mm jack. The 6s is ok, but the 7,8 and up are so much better
But you don't know her needs. The 6 may even be MORE then she needs.....
She's asking a specific question. If maybe she said "should I get a 8 or 6?"
THEN your comments are spot on. She didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones