Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2018, 04:25 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,112,174 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about the consumer cellular outage yesterday?

My friend tried to call me yesterday morning and discovered her phone wasn't working, and claimed she hadn't paid her bill. She's on auto pay, so this seemed dubious, plus her husband's phone was working, even though they are paid at the same time (different number, though).On that chance that this really was money related , she tried paying manually, but that didn't help. She then asked me to call her and I got the message "I'm sorry but this subscriber is not able to accept calls." We tried off and on throughout the morning and her phone was out of service for about 4-5 hours; then suddenly was active again.

We're seniors, and not that tech savvy, so we're not sure if this is just a ho hum computer glitch or something to be worried about. Also, while we appreciate the clever replies you sometimes see on city-data, could we avoid them on this thread? She is worried about this and needs a straight answer.

She's tried to contact CC to find out what she needs to do now but can't get thru. There is a cryptic message on the FB page that acknowledges there was a widespread problem but doesn't give much help. If there's a better place she should be going for info, please let us know. I know city-data is probably not the best place to find out what we need to know, but for now we don't have any better ideas and maybe you can at least steer us to a place where we can get the help we need.

She is wondering what this means, if she should be worried, and if she needs to get a new phone or take other steps to protect her personal info. Was she just hacked?

Last edited by Piney Creek; 12-07-2018 at 04:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 04:41 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Outages happen. Nothing to worry about.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Cons...iw=377&bih=542

Old 12-07-2018, 04:45 AM

Thank you. Should she be worried about her personal information?

Old 12-07-2018, 05:05 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Not any more as shouldn't be worried about her home in case of power failure. Such outage has nothing to do with her phone.
Outages can be caused both by issues with her network as well as problems within her provider and typically causes the network to go down or phones and mobile internet to stop working. When that is fixed everything go back to normal.

Old 12-07-2018, 05:06 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
Not likely any personal information was compromised. I wouldn't worry any further about it.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:14 AM

Thanks everyone! When you get to my age, things like this can be startling. So often seniors are targeted, so I'm glad to hear this was just a simple outage and nothing more. Glad to hear it isn't something that needs attention beyond getting refunded for paying the bill manually as well as having the auto pay.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:30 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
How long were you out of service ?? Unless it was more than a couple of days, not likely you will be refunded much of anything.

I remember several years ago when I was a cellular phone CS rep I had a customer on a $29.99/month plan who had no service for 1 day. They demanded I credit their account for the day without service. I told them that I would be willing to offer a $1 credit for 1 day and they were upset that I didn't offer a full month credit. 'nuff said................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones