Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 05:42 PM

546 posts, read 347,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
For this reason, I won't buy a phone without a removable battery.
At least with Verizon Wireless, not totally sure about other carriers, only the mostly low end budget phones have a removable battery. Knowing this having to replace my phone about five months ago. I had a budget phone before with a removable battery which the phone had other issues, replacing it with an otherwise better phone without a removable battery.

So best of luck to try to find a phone without a removable battery, unless a low end phone works for you. Its sad this unwanted technology is forced upon us. For the carriers, its more profit and less service costs if the battery is not removable, which they figure us will replace our phones when our batteries no longer keep a charge. Since had a cell phone since 1998, I was too disheartened when they removed external antennas from cell phones a decade ago, which gave you more options in marginal signal areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 06:22 PM

6,557 posts, read 11,182,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprklcl View Post
At least with Verizon Wireless, not totally sure about other carriers, only the mostly low end budget phones have a removable battery. Knowing this having to replace my phone about five months ago. I had a budget phone before with a removable battery which the phone had other issues, replacing it with an otherwise better phone without a removable battery.

So best of luck to try to find a phone without a removable battery, unless a low end phone works for you. Its sad this unwanted technology is forced upon us. For the carriers, its more profit and less service costs if the battery is not removable, which they figure us will replace our phones when our batteries no longer keep a charge. Since had a cell phone since 1998, I was too disheartened when they removed external antennas from cell phones a decade ago, which gave you more options in marginal signal areas.
That maybe one of the results - but I think a lot of strategy has more to do with the ability to make the phones slimmer and offering waterproofing features. No removable battery means you can design the phone without reserving a separate compartment - which does take up space.

And for the most part, these batteries are still replaceable. Just not by the average joe. So while it's going to cost $75-$100 rather than $30, it's still relatively cheap compared to a new smartphone. So not exactly a strategy that pays off in the long run.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:02 PM

21,611 posts, read 24,753,085 times
Note5, $60 at local chains. It's not the easiest but not rocket science. Kits with the necessary tools and battery tun around $30. That and watching a YouTube video and it's a something an average Joe could handle. If not, and I'm in the not, $60 is a lot cheaper than a new flagship.

Having done neither of those things battery life is pretty bad after four and a half years. But then I've got wireless chargers all over the place and run around with a laptop anyway so it really doesn't matter that phone only makes it to around 2 to 4 in the afternoon with normal use and no charging. If it does 30 to 60 is a lot less than a new phone. But then again, I doubt there's that many people who bought flagship four years ago that haven't upgraded anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones