Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 04:50 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,544,248 times

Advertisements

I am planning to buy a used phone... but want to make sure it is compatible with my carrier. My current carrier is Cricket, which runs on AT&T/GSM.

Cricket has this page to check the IMEI number for compatibility, but they don't post those for used phones.

Based on this article, it appears I should be able to buy any GSM phone and be OK:
"It's much easier to swap phones on GSM networks, because GSM carriers put customer information on a removable SIM card. Take the card out, put it in a different phone, and the new phone now has your number. What's more, to be considered GSM, a carrier must accept any GSM-compliant phone. So the GSM carriers don't have total control of the phone you're using."

any help appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 05:42 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Any current unlocked GSM phone sold in the US should be safe.

Note the unlocked part. Or it could be locked to Cricket if that’s what you will be using.

Look at the model number of the phone you want and check GSM band support against AT&T. As long as there is a good overlap for 4G/LTE you should be fine.

Also make sure the SIM size is compatible. There are at least 3 I’m aware of. The iPhone today uses a nano SIM.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:46 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,532,396 times
Some phones are only compatible with LTE or GSM. Some have almost identical models, one for LTE and one for GSM. Some have capability for all carriers.

You can search the phones manufacturer and model on gsmarena.com, or phonearea.com, or phonescoop.com, these sites are dedicated to cell phone information.

Example, I have a Nexus 6P that was given to me I had it on Verizon for a time. gsmarena tells me it is compatable with GSM and LTE.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:56 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Buy a used phone from Swappa. It takes the guesswork out. GO to Swappa, click ATT phones, buy.
Also one of the safest ways to buy a phone.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:25 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I am planning to buy a used phone... but want to make sure it is compatible with my carrier. My current carrier is Cricket, which runs on AT&T/GSM.

Cricket has this page to check the IMEI number for compatibility, but they don't post those for used phones.

Based on this article, it appears I should be able to buy any GSM phone and be OK:
"It's much easier to swap phones on GSM networks, because GSM carriers put customer information on a removable SIM card. Take the card out, put it in a different phone, and the new phone now has your number. What's more, to be considered GSM, a carrier must accept any GSM-compliant phone. So the GSM carriers don't have total control of the phone you're using."

any help appreciated!
I used that tool to check a used phone. Most any site will check the IMEI number - whether it is used or not is irrelevant. You CAN ask the seller to provide the IMEI number (with proof of course, such as a picture) before you buy. Any reputable seller will do this. I bought two used phones this way.

And yes, any GSM phone will work, as will any LTE capable phone, including Verizon.

Old 02-02-2019, 06:24 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I used that tool to check a used phone. Most any site will check the IMEI number - whether it is used or not is irrelevant. You CAN ask the seller to provide the IMEI number (with proof of course, such as a picture) before you buy. Any reputable seller will do this. I bought two used phones this way.

And yes, any GSM phone will work, as will any LTE capable phone, including Verizon.
Note that if it’s locked to a different carrier it won’t work without unlocking.

Old 02-02-2019, 04:07 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,544,248 times
I'm browsing through the listings of phones listed under ATT and some of them say "unlocked on any GSM network" ..while others do not.

I'm trying to figure out how to know for sure that if I buy a phone listed as being on ATT, but then in the description it says its unlocked, that it will truly be unlocked. I don't want to deal with buying a phone and then having to go through the hassle (and loss of $$) of returning it.

If the seller gives me an IMEI number, will that be the definite confirmation?

Old 02-03-2019, 10:41 AM

6,478 posts, read 10,347,099 times
Keep in mind that even if the IMEI shows clean now, if the seller had not paid their device installment payments on the device or reports it as lost or stolen your phone can be blocked

Old 02-04-2019, 07:50 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
That's why you use Swappa Dontaskwhy. Trusted sellers and clean phones.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:47 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,475,528 times
Quote:
I'm browsing through the listings of phones listed under ATT and some of them say "unlocked on any GSM network" ..while others do not.

I'm trying to figure out how to know for sure that if I buy a phone listed as being on ATT, but then in the description it says its unlocked, that it will truly be unlocked.
It can be branded and still be unlocked. In fact, that's what I have. I bought a new AT&T branded unlocked phone on ebay from a reputable seller. I use it with Straight Talk but you could use it with Cricket, T-Mobile etc. as long as it's a compatible GSM network. Some of the apps that come with it are from AT&T, some don't affect me, some I've disabled, some I've uninstalled.

Quote:
I don't want to deal with buying a phone and then having to go through the hassle (and loss of $$) of returning it.
That's a chance everybody takes when ordering anything online, not just cell phones.

Quote:
If the seller gives me an IMEI number, will that be the definite confirmation?
I personally would not buy a used or refurbished phone but again just make sure that the seller is reputable and stands behind the product.

Cricket IS AT&T, same company so rest assured it should work.

By the way if you want unlocked AND unbranded, I've seen them at Best Buy. They are not expensive either. Amazon has them as well.

You never mentioned what model of phone you were looking at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones