Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 07:39 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times

Advertisements

Reason #1 idont want people calling me all the time. Soulition: turn phone off.

I don’t need one. Yea like who needs a seatbelt until you have an accident. Or an emergency while driving, like when my wife had a heart attack.

So you ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 12:47 AM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
So, do you keep your cell phone turned off or don't have phone at all?
The sure way to stop people calling you is to change to new number which you would keep secret to yourself. And don't answer calls from anyone else.
After a while they will stop calling you

Old 02-12-2019, 07:31 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
"I just want a phone to make phone calls!!!!"

One of my best friends 6 years ago. Today: why the f didn't you get me to get one of these years ago!?!?!

Old 02-12-2019, 08:04 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
I don't particularly WANT a cell phone, but they are decidedly handy. I use the pre-paid phone refilled with the card I can buy at the grocery store.

As far as "smart" phones I can see the utility but for me the utility doesn't show ROI against the cost in monthly subscriptions plus the cost in my time to futz around with it. The older I get the more I realize just how few minutes I've got left and every minute I spend wrestling with computers feels like a minute flushed down the toilet.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:28 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
So, do you keep your cell phone turned off or don't have phone at all?
The sure way to stop people calling you is to change to new number which you would keep secret to yourself. And don't answer calls from anyone else.
After a while they will stop calling you
Personally I don’t mind getting personal and some important business calls. I’m not antisocial, On my iPhone I can reject calls or block callers. I never had a job that require the extensive use of a cell phone so no adversion. If aunt Annie, Mr mechanic or (recently) the roofer I want to be there to say hi or yes. To ignore my roofer for an hour would have delayed the finish date by a day

It was nice that my wife able to reach me when she was having her heart attack a few years ago. As a side note, we don’t have a landline

Old 02-12-2019, 10:06 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,426,948 times
I got my 1st cell phone a few months ago, I feel like I've joined the rest of the world.
A few years ago contracts, high prices for phones and high monthly costs kept me away
With the friendly guy at Cricket and friends I learned my new iphone 6 faster than I thought I would. I did have a tablet and that helped.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:10 AM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
I had a car phone before many people here were born. I got it because my managers were regularly paging me with "911" problems while I was stuck in Miami traffic. Today, I have a prepaid cellphone that ONE person knows the number to. It has no facebook or social network apps on it, and the primary use is to play a couple of games while I am in a situation where I have to wait. Every once in a while I'll barcode scan while shopping or take a few photos.

Old 02-17-2019, 02:53 AM

550 posts, read 365,055 times
With fewer and fewer payphones around, its harder to do without a cell phone if you run into trouble on the go or the road. Unless need a specific smartphone app such as Lyft or Uber if use frequently ($ savings and timely availability of these cars over taxis is great), a basic flip cell phone works for calling. My elderly mom keeps her cell phone off unless away from home or otherwise has a need to keep it on, gives the number out to others very sparingly, and to keep it simpler does not have voicemail or texting set up on it (her home line can leave a voice message).

Old 02-19-2019, 06:36 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,551,696 times
Page Plus Cellular still has a $12/month (or $10 with Auto Refill) for 500 minutes + 500 text + 100 MB 4G LTE data for the last group of people that think cell phones are simply for emergencies and two minute conversations like "stuck in traffic, so I'll be 30 minutes late".

My father (age 83) is still one of those people.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:47 AM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Reason #1 idont want people calling me all the time. Soulition: turn phone off.

I don’t need one. Yea like who needs a seatbelt until you have an accident. Or an emergency while driving, like when my wife had a heart attack.

So you ?
I went through this thinking nine years ago when I returned from living in Thailand. I had my land line at the house and the built-in phone with Onstar in my Buick. And I was retired. So why would I need a smart phone?

So one day, when I had the flu, I had to go to the store to get some medicine and food. It was a lousy day, sleeting. And when I came back out to the car, the car battery had died. So I used my Onstar...which was dead because the car battery was dead.

After that awful day I bought a basic flip phone which I almost never used.

And then I decided to sell my house and move to another state. It was clear that a smart phone was needed. The showing service that handles our area primarily does their appointments through texting. And now I regularly use a number of apps on my smart phone.

Is it a necessity? No. But it sure does make life easier.

What I really don't like about cell phones smart phones, is this constant need for connection that some people have. When I see people paying so much attention to their smart phone that they walk into a light pole or get hit by a car...come on...that's addiction.

BTW, GM has now "fixed" Onstar. If you car battery goes dead, there's a small backup battery for Onstar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones