Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 06:21 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,806,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
Holy 25-year old legacy digital communications technology, they still use CDMA? I thought that would have gone the way of AMPS by now!
CDMA isn't going anywhere for a while... LTE isn't as dense as you think...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2020, 04:48 PM

84 posts, read 43,606 times
Default cdma shutdown

i think the idea of verizon CDMA shutdown is plain stupid

they should realize there are users who use old verizon CDMA phones for emergency calls and soon that will no longer work.
plus shutting down the cdma network would break the law because people would not be able to acces 911 on it anymore.

up where i live that CDMA network is important for me because i live in a place that would mean death in an emergency and no access to a working wireless network (like for example im working under my pickup and it falls off the jacks and no one else would be there to call 911 on the landline and the CDMA network were gona, RIP) means death

Old 04-06-2020, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprklcl View Post
Updated in the last week, Verizon has pushed back the date of the total CDMA shut down date from 12/31/2019 to 12/31/2020 per https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...e-base-218813/ (see text of URL below), with the exception of cell sites serving some enterprise users until 2021. That being said, expect a continued degradation of the old CDMA network until it is fully retired, that is fewer channels dedicated to 2G/3G/CDMA calls as these channels are repurposed to 4G LTE (it has already happened in my neck of the woods). Likely reasons behind the date change: 1) giving folks behind the technology curve who less often use their phones more time to upgrade their phones, as not good publicity if even a few of these users get caught in a winter storm emergency unaware their phone does not work. So thinking is better to do the older network shut down gradually as it goes to say cellular service is not 100% guaranteed and as service degrades an encouragement to upgrade phones. 2) As likely hundreds of thousands if not a couple or a few million have phones that will no longer work (exact number disputed), it becomes a store supply issue (local or online) to replace all of those older phones doing that in the remaining months of 2019, 3) Verizon loses revenue from customers switching carriers from bad service or from a short supply of replacement phones.

CDMA Network Retirement

As we complete our network transition to 4G and 5G, we at Verizon would like to keep you up to date with some important activities.
We are moving all devices to our HD Voice LTE network, which offers superior coverage and performance compared to previous generation networks. Starting January 1, 2020, Verizon will no longer allow any CDMA (3G and 4G Non-HD Voice) 'Like-for-Like' device changes.
Additional changes include but are not limited to:
  • Starting 1/1/2020:
    • No Longer Allowed:
      • Transfer of Service, moving from one account to another account
      • Bring Your Own Device (BYOD), providing a CDMA device to activate on an existing line
      • Swapping one CDMA device for another CDMA device
      • Roaming outside of the US
    • Still Allowed
      • Suspend / Resume
      • Number change
      • Upgrades to compatible 4G or 5G devices
      • Activating new lines of 4G or 5G devices
  • Starting 1/1/2021
    • We are moving all devices to our HD Voice LTE network, the Verizon CDMA Network will remain available as-is until December 31, 2020. Any service requests related to CDMA devices will receive limited support and be encouraged to upgrade to newer technology.
  • Impacted Devices:
    • 3G-only devices, including 3G basic phones and 3G smartphones
    • 4G LTE smartphones that do not support HD Voice (ex: Apple® iPhone® 5s or prior)
    • Connected devices with CDMA (e.g., GizmoPal, GizmoPal2, GizmoGadget and some Hum + models)
    • Proprietary Customer Built 3G Equipment

Sign in to My Verizon to check your upgrade eligibility and get the latest and greatest devices on the market. Enterprise customers can visit My Business to explore options.

That means no more casio gzone flip phone from my 9th birthday

Old 04-06-2020, 05:10 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,335,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVMY3GFONE View Post
i think the idea of verizon CDMA shutdown is plain stupid

they should realize there are users who use old verizon CDMA phones for emergency calls and soon that will no longer work.
plus shutting down the cdma network would break the law because people would not be able to acces 911 on it anymore.

up where i live that CDMA network is important for me because i live in a place that would mean death in an emergency and no access to a working wireless network (like for example im working under my pickup and it falls off the jacks and no one else would be there to call 911 on the landline and the CDMA network were gona, RIP) means death
The networks can and will be shut down sooner than later. When At&t shut down Analog and 2G on their networks they sent free 3G (GSM) phones to customers affected by the shutdown with no additional contract or obligation. There is no reason to assume that Verizon will or won't do the same. Verizon originally said they would shut down CDMA at the end of 2019 but pushed it back after they realized that too many users would be cut off. Closer to the end of the year, I suspect that affected users with the older technology devices will be given various incentives to upgrade. Verizon has not activated any CDMA devices for almost a year or more.

This whole debate is like complaining that you cannot buy leaded gasoline for your '58 Chevy any longer.

Old 04-09-2020, 06:56 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVMY3GFONE View Post
That means no more casio gzone flip phone from my 9th birthday
How old are you?

Old 04-09-2020, 09:17 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,981,249 times
Just FYI it was my experience that Verizon didn't really have any compassion for CDMA phone users. Nope, no free 4g phone. Had to buy a 4g flip phone for $150. My sister is still using her CDMA flippie up in MA with no problems ... yet.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:54 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,335,572 times
As stated, they may start offering upgrade incentives closer to the end of this year. CDMA isn't shut down nationwide (only in select markets) but Verizon stopped activating new or replacement CDMA phones last year.

There are 4G feature/flip phones available around $100 out there currently. On the Verizon website there are 2 flip/feature phones for $99 and 1 for $79.99. Yes, there are phones cheaper than you paid previously out there.

Last edited by dontaskwhy; 04-09-2020 at 10:02 AM..

Old 04-09-2020, 10:10 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,981,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
As stated, they may start offering upgrade incentives closer to the end of this year. CDMA isn't shut down nationwide (only in select markets) but Verizon stopped activating new or replacement CDMA phones last year.

There are 4G feature/flip phones available around $100 out there currently. On the Verizon website there are 2 flip/feature phones for $99 and 1 for $79.99. Yes, there are phones cheaper than you paid previously out there.
Ack! Dang I paid $150 for my Kyocera Cadence last Fall.

Old 04-10-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
How old are you?
im 17

Old 04-10-2020, 10:48 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,540,287 times
With Verizon. I’m glad my older iPhone works on everything. CDMA was pretty marginal with one bar. GSM works so much better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones