Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 09:39 AM

8,338 posts, read 6,423,253 times

Advertisements

Crickets $30 a month is total. Thats a lot better than the $92 a month Verizon charges as per Rocketdawg.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:10 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,541,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Crickets $30 a month is total. Thats a lot better than the $92 a month Verizon charges as per Rocketdawg.
Sigh.... read the fine print and maybe his post. First he is talking TWO lines not one. To get the same plan as yours two lines with Verizon is $75 and no speed limitation. Your plan has a data speed limit and forced throttling to 2g speeds if you exceed your 2gig plan. Verizon allows you to
Purchase additional 4g data should you go over your plan limit.

We pay $90 a month for two lines and a 4gig plan with Verizon. The ability to purchase addition 4g data has come in handy more than once on trips

Old 03-10-2019, 09:46 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,354,837 times
It depends on your usage. If you need all-you-can-eat, then stick with Verizon or one of the other 3 carriers.

If you are a low to medium usage person, check out the MVNOs (resellers). You can still be using Verizon towers with its coverage and building penetration, but be paying far less. I use Verizon on Tracfone, and do pay-as-you-go with unlimited rollover of mins/texts/data, although they also have monthly "plans". My low usage costs me about $8/month.

Old 03-10-2019, 05:19 PM

6,589 posts, read 11,280,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
Right now I have Verizon but I may be paying more for my monthly service than I should be paying. Which service is the best for those of you in the know?
This is very much location dependent, how much you travel (be it locally or further), and what your needs are. I don't think you can beat Verizon from a coverage perspective. in the U.S. However, that doesn't' necessarily mean you aren't in a Verizon dead spot. I would know, my coverage at home is almost non-existent (so it's pretty much wifi calling).

However, Verizon is the best for me once I leave my house's immediate vicinity. So, that's who I'm with. Most companies have gotten pretty competitive and have pretty much done away with the contracts. You just need to find the best one for you. And that is the key, there really isn't a "best overall" for everyone - it really depends on what you use the most.

Again, Verizon is probably the best in terms of coverage in the U.S. but if you do international travel, Sprint and T-Mobile may be more flexible. ATT and Verizon both have international capabilities, but I believe you have to set those up first.

Old 03-10-2019, 06:47 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,419,137 times
I've had Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, and T-Moblie across different states. I was an AT&T customer the longest. I switched from AT&T to T-Moblie 2 years ago after 10 years because AT&T was getting too expensive. I like T-Moblie the best. Sprint is the worst of the 4.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:30 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,414,137 times
If you make a small number of calls and don't use your phone much for data, which is what I do, I think it's hard to beat Truphone. You buy a SIM card from them for $30, of which half will be prepaid service. (Unlocked phone needed, of course.) Then once that $15 is used up, you pay 9 cents a minute for outgoing calls, or per megabyte, or per outgoing text. Incoming calls and texts are free. Nothing ever expires and there are no fixed payments. It works at the same price in a number of foreign countries, but once you're outside those places, it gets pretty pricy. But for the UK or Germany, for instance, it's the same 9 cents per minute. My wife and I aren't phone gabbers, so we think it's great.

I'm not sure if we can list commercial websites here, but look up [truphone prepaid sim] and you'll find it.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:38 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,136,591 times
Altell ->Verizon since 2003. No issues, $65.00/month for 4 GB & unlimited text talk...

Old 03-18-2019, 02:25 AM

325 posts, read 163,527 times
verizon since the 90's when it was bell atlantic mobile on the east cost.. very few problems just a few billing problems from time to time maybe like 5 in the time frame but it was always taken care of right away!!! unlike some of them MVNO'S whos customer service is clueless... and plus verizon has the fastest and the clearest sounding network out of the 4 carriers!!! and now that i have there 5G service makes life even better!!!

Old 04-01-2019, 12:36 PM

550 posts, read 364,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprklcl View Post
https://www.charitymobile.com/ uses the Verizon network, with their plans cheaper (I've seen, but not yet used), but allows you to port phones and numbers too in some cases (details at website). It is faith based, so guess it depends whether some you are into that.
Seriously considering Charity Mobile. Actually called them recently before even ordering service, and quite impressed with their customer service (vs. considering the hours been on the phone a lot on hold with Verizon directly and other very large companies with reps sometimes not knowing what they are doing):
- By phone during business hours - person answers, no voice response menu. Kind, quick and helpful in answering questions, patient, no sales pressure, cared for needs and concerns.
- By email, additional tech questions thought of after on phone with them - helpful detailed response within hours, also concerned for communication needs.

What learned, not all on website:
- Most Verizon Wireless 4G phones, must be unlocked, and phone #s can ported to them. Most phone ports in 5 minutes to an hour (can be delayed much longer especially if not have your account # and password). Need also your phone's IMEI # which they can quickly check prior to ordering. Older CDMA phones cannot be activated. Charity Mobile also sells VZW phones listed on their website.
- Competitive prices I found some better than with Verizon directly - https://www.charitymobile.com/plans.html Also optional 5% of your bill can go to a charity of your choice, nearly all are faith based.
- They support call forwarding/busy no answer *72 to another number, and say on a flip phone (not smartphone, for an older or non techy relative) they can restrict data and even text messaging. Lots of other questions answered at https://www.charitymobile.com/support.html or can call or email them at https://www.charitymobile.com/help.html (note hours they are open and closed Sundays).
- Can pay online or if you prefer a paper bill mailed monthly.
- Been in business since the 1990's when company initially offered long distance service, and started offering cell phone service in 2006. No Better Business Bureau complaints for them.

Personal note, I have wait to sign up, they do not support Verizon network extenders I learned by phone, but I am expecting to move to a better Verizon signal area in the next months than what have in my valley. They were caring understanding of that and my need to do some home downsizing in the next months before moving and signing up with them. Here's one other positive user review of the service https://www.reddit.com/r/Catholicism..._find_reviews/
Also https://www.2ndvote.com/company-scores/ rates them a 5 out of 5, which there is some correlation here, among other factors, companies rated at this site with 3s, 4s, and 5s often have the better or best customer service.

Last edited by sprklcl; 04-01-2019 at 12:53 PM..

Old 04-06-2019, 09:54 PM

19,432 posts, read 27,819,296 times
T-mobile 55+ plan. For folks over 55 years old. $60/month including taxes for two lines, unlimited calls, data and texts. Unlimited data in over 200 other countries (though it occasionally goes to 3g). Buy the phone at Costco.

Can't beat this deal. Note that the $60 is grandfathered - the price for new customers is currently $70/month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones