Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 05:57 AM

43,269 posts, read 77,063,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Couldn't get rid of my Essential fast enough either. I know MANY people had a great experience with it but mine was just not great. I have since gone to the OnePlus 6T and it is hands down the best phone I've ever had. Everything the Essential should have been.

Recommend the 6T MikeJ. You will nto regret it. And it's only $550 for the base model.
So, I picked up the iPhone X 256GB yesterday.
So far, so good.

Interesting learning curve at hand, and I have other things to do, but I am quite optimistic at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 08:43 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
My wife has had enough of her XR. We are selling it and getting her an 8.
Good luck with your X!

Old 04-02-2019, 09:39 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,540,287 times
Quote:
How come? Just curious

Old 04-02-2019, 01:07 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
- Face Unlock. Hates it with a passion as I've already said somewhere in this thread. She used to be able to unlock her phone without picking it up. Impossible now.
- Sort of related to Face Unlock, Apple Pay. She used to be able to just pull her phone from her purse, finger on the button already so she just needs to pull it out and *tap* the terminal. Not anymore... now she has to pull it out of her purse, look at it, then tap the terminal.
- Gestures. Swiping up from the right side bring up the recent list. Often she will be scrolling on something and accidentally swipe to low and WHAM the recents pop up.

Those are the top 3. And she says "I don't understand why they removed it. An all screen phone is not at all important to me."

Old 04-02-2019, 03:44 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,540,287 times
Quote:
- Face Unlock. Hates it with a passion as I've already said somewhere in this thread. She used to be able to unlock her phone without picking it up. Impossible now.
- Sort of related to Face Unlock, Apple Pay. She used to be able to just pull her phone from her purse, finger on the button already so she just needs to pull it out and *tap* the terminal. Not anymore... now she has to pull it out of her purse, look at it, then tap the terminal.
- Gestures. Swiping up from the right side bring up the recent list. Often she will be scrolling on something and accidentally swipe to low and WHAM the recents pop up.

Those are the top 3. And she says "I don't understand why they removed it. An all screen phone is not at all important to me."
I understand. Face ID is overkill. One of several rea$on$ I decided not to go with the X when I had to replace my 6s. The 8 is almost as powerful as the X/Xs

Old 04-02-2019, 07:31 PM

4,894 posts, read 14,135,913 times
Update: The 5S went out with a bang on April Fools day ~ lol ~ I went with the XS Max 256 GB finalizing the procrastination to action. Yaay!

Old 04-05-2019, 07:39 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,235,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Update: The 5S went out with a bang on April Fools day ~ lol ~ I went with the XS Max 256 GB finalizing the procrastination to action. Yaay!
Nice choice. Huge screen, my wife loves it. I’m satisfied with her “leftover” X.

I don’t mind FaceID 99% of the time and can deal with the other 1%.

Old 04-06-2019, 01:01 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Quote:
Good luck with your X!
Hmmm. A year or so ago, I bought an iPhone 8 as a present to my wife (traded her 5s at Apple when buying the 8), and she really likes it because it is of the right size (close to the iPhone 6s). I was going to buy the Xr until I realized that the screen is around 2" larger than my 6s. The larger screen should be good for people who use their phones to read their email or surf the net, something my wife and I don't do. I will buy an iPhone 8 instead, but I am not in a rush. I just pay in full up front to avoid the long term contracts.

On another note, an old Army veteran and friend of mine just told me that he bought a new X Plus. I haven't seen it, but I imagine that it should be close to an iPad mini in size I can't fault him because the large screen makes it easier for him to see the text and images. His vision is not longer the best, and he uses the GPS function, likes texting, and to surf the net.

Last edited by RayinAK; 04-06-2019 at 01:11 PM..

Old 04-06-2019, 03:31 PM

43,269 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Hmmm. A year or so ago, I bought an iPhone 8 as a present to my wife (traded her 5s at Apple when buying the 8), and she really likes it because it is of the right size (close to the iPhone 6s). I was going to buy the Xr until I realized that the screen is around 2" larger than my 6s. The larger screen should be good for people who use their phones to read their email or surf the net, something my wife and I don't do. I will buy an iPhone 8 instead, but I am not in a rush. I just pay in full up front to avoid the long term contracts.

On another note, an old Army veteran and friend of mine just told me that he bought a new X Plus. I haven't seen it, but I imagine that it should be close to an iPad mini in size I can't fault him because the large screen makes it easier for him to see the text and images. His vision is not longer the best, and he uses the GPS function, likes texting, and to surf the net.
I was going to buy the XR until I came across a pretty nice deal on the X.
I want the biggest screen that will go in my shirt pocket.

Wife will likely have an iPhone by end of year, if she doesn't hear me complaining too much about mine and learning curve. So far, no big hiccups.

Old 04-07-2019, 03:26 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,135,913 times
I love My XS Max!!!!! I love the face ID, I love the big size & the ability to read everything without using my readers! It's FANTASTIC!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones