Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 08:34 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times

Advertisements

I specifically said "I am ruder on this message board then I am in real life"....

Answer the email question, I am genuinely curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 08:46 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,661,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreadedskyhook View Post
Your response indicates that you're not as nice through text as you think you are.
I didn't see anything in that response that wasn't "nice".

Truthful and blunt, yes, but mean, no.

And I agree completely. My phone doesn't show me anything I don't already want to see:

I don't have any news app, twitter, etc on my phone.

I do use Facebook on my phone, but have disabled all alerts so that I only go check it when I want, not when it tells me to.

Some of the issues you have can be controlled by adjusting your phone so that it becomes a tool, not a distraction.

The rest of them are simply self control issues, and you'll have to work out how to deal with those personally (maybe turn the phone off, or disable data, during certain hours of the day, or while doing other things).

Maybe if you describe the exact source (particular apps) of the things you don't want to see, we can help disable / curtail what they send you.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:55 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Maybe if you describe the exact source (particular apps) of the things you don't want to see, we can help disable / curtail what they send you.

This exactly. Your phone is a tool, not something that just does whatever it wants. You CAN control what you see.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:04 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I've had smartphones since smartphones were a thing and I've never had one send me anything I don't want. Your phone sends you ... news feeds? Uh... get a different news app. I'm sure there's 50 of them that align with your political views.
And why the hell are you checking your email that often? Who are you getting all this email from?
As to being rude through texts... yea, this is a "you problem"... not a technology problem.

I am just as nice and sweet in texts as I am IRL.
I may be a little ruder on this message board then I am IRL, but not to my friends or loved ones via any method of communication. If anything I am kindER in email because I can proofread what I said before I send it.
You forgot to mention they can just delete the news app if they want to do so.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:23 AM

8,328 posts, read 6,419,063 times
My Chromebook is my recreation in the evening when i'm tired and other people are watching TV. I have the TV on but often lose track of whats going on on it.
So City Data, Facebook, email and other forums I like are done on my chromebook, I like constantly having a camera right handy, do a ocasional photo and post on Facebook do a occasional text to my loved ones and thats about all on my phone except as a phone of coarse.
I see people constantly checking their phones, I'm old so maybe my friends who are old also aren't sending me stuff all the time.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:09 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
I have four news apps. None of them bother me, because I said No to notifications.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:01 PM

37 posts, read 29,627 times
I agree with you guys. I'm working on turning my phone into a tool rather than a distraction. I'm not very wise on how to adjust settings on the phone, but I did get rid of the divisive news headlines, cut off my Chrome browser and simply moved up the apps that are most important to me to the main screen that pops up when I turn my phone on (like Weather, Udemy for learning languages, and making phone calls). I also did an auto response on texts and unsubscribed from a lot of email that I get constantly. The main thing I'm looking to avoid are the constant news feeds from CNN, NYT, Salon, and the news outlets that my phone sets as primary news sources, which makes me feel like my phone is pushing a certain agenda on me that I don't want. Of course, Bing, Google, Amazon, and most of these mega corporations are owned by liberals, so it would make sense they push their trash onto your phone when you swipe left.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:12 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,642,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreadedskyhook View Post
I agree with you guys. I'm working on turning my phone into a tool rather than a distraction. I'm not very wise on how to adjust settings on the phone, but I did get rid of the divisive news headlines, cut off my Chrome browser and simply moved up the apps that are most important to me to the main screen that pops up when I turn my phone on (like Weather, Udemy for learning languages, and making phone calls). I also did an auto response on texts and unsubscribed from a lot of email that I get constantly. The main thing I'm looking to avoid are the constant news feeds from CNN, NYT, Salon, and the news outlets that my phone sets as primary news sources, which makes me feel like my phone is pushing a certain agenda on me that I don't want. Of course, Bing, Google, Amazon, and most of these mega corporations are owned by liberals, so it would make sense they push their trash onto your phone when you swipe left.
Sounds like you solved your own problem.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:17 AM

550 posts, read 364,043 times
This article from 18 months ago show there are yet millions with flip phones
https://www.politico.com/agenda/stor...ulation-000531
"Just 42 percent of Americans over 65 own a smartphone, compared with 77 percent of the general population." In other words, 23 percent of the general population and 58 percent over 65 owns either a flip phone or none at all. The flip phone numbers have likely gone down some since 18-24 months ago, but how much is anybody's guess.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:44 AM

18,046 posts, read 15,639,191 times
It's the user who is in control of what apps are used on the phone and the settings chosen. You can uninstall apps, turn off notifications for apps that cannot be uninstalled, and choose what info you get, when, how often, or even if you're notified.

I turn most notifications off and I don't allow news reports/alerts, social media alerts or anything to bother or disrupt me. I use those apps when I'm in the mood, and otherwise they're off and/or silent. Even my email creates no sound, just 1 notification by way of an icon on the top bar. A smartphone is invaluable to me because of the functions it has that make life easier: depositing checks, getting directions, GPS, searching for something local, being able to send a quick update to someone while on the go, making an appointment online while on the go.

Technology is not the problem, it's the user who doesn't know how to use the technology to best fit their needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones