Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2019, 02:37 PM

8,244 posts, read 3,495,089 times

Advertisements

Long story, but someone had pick-pocketed my phone and took SIM out and put it back in while he had it. I know SIM was out for at least brief time because I had to reset date and time. He had it at least two or three hours before he supposedly 'found' it in a place it wouldn't have been. It had been in my pocket and I hadn't been where he claimed he found it. He had previously tried to look at my phone and I stopped him.

Someone told me he could have put the SIM into another phone and cloned it. Someone else said he may be able to see texts I send out. I don't know if they really know someone can do it or they saw it on tv and thought someone could really do that. Another person told me if he put the SIM card into another phone that he can now send stuff from that phone and make it look like it came from me. I don't know about this stuff, but I don't want to worry about something that can't happen.

Phone is an old, basic LG flip phone if that matters.

So, what could this guy really have gotten from this and what kind of damage can really happen long term? Is there a security risk after I got the phone back? How should I handle this?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 05:33 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,828,538 times
You do have a security risk, but this is too important and too complicated to try to fix it by suggestions on a forum.
What specific phone, what you had installed, what kind of security you already were using, what you have on 'the cloud', etc.

I suggest you immediately take the phone to a phone store of your service and get help from their Technical Support.
Tell them what happened and they should be able to change your SIM account and tell you how much of your information is at risk, and how to minimize future problems.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:56 AM

Thank you. I am going to the phone place here in a little bit. There was no security on the phone. The guy is someone who been obsessed with me and trying to learn who I been talking to. I didn't have any applications of my own installed. It was all factory default. Just a basic flip phone.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:01 PM

Situation has been resolved as best as it can be. Basically, all the person got was contacts and text messages. That bad enough though.

But anyway, please delete thread. Thanks.

Old 04-23-2019, 05:11 PM

6,481 posts, read 10,353,739 times
BTW: SIM cloning is almost non-existent in this day and age. Typically thieves will attempt to get credit card information stored in the phone or resell the phone for a quick buck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones