Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 10:39 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times

Advertisements

Cell phone/smartphone technology has definitely plateaued in recent years, but I dont think its because new technology doesnt exist or isnt possible yet...I think its actually being artificially 'suppressed'.

There is a certain point, that, (technological progress) will start to cross the threshold of being fun, entertaining, helpful....to being potentially dangerous and 'too much' capability. If the technology ever started to impact Govt/(or authority in generals), ability to EXERT their authority...you can bet it will be quickly suppressed!

2 examples of what Im talking about...

Ive read a few articles about a real 'invisibility cloak' being tested and it seems they are getting pretty close to having something a person can wear or 'put on' that would make them invisible to the naked eye (and security cameras)...I dont think I have to type out all the ways this would be disastrous for safety and security!

Another is something I read about in Popular Mechanics, in which they said 'texting or emailing tangible objects' is one of the greatest technological inventions coming within the next 10 yrs, just like the above example, I dont think I have to list all the different ways this technology would be terrible for safety and security!

I think it is to be expected tech like this would be suppressed and not available to the public. This is sort of where we are with smartphones right now imo...too much more progress, and it starts to become a potential threat to law and order, safety and security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2019, 07:09 PM

550 posts, read 364,487 times
And don't forget about 5G smartphones coming out.

On current phones 4G, though my LG G7 display automatically adjusts to light levels around it, brighter display in sunlight, dimmer display inside or when room is dark. Wish there was a smartphone out there that the ringer would *automatically* adjust volume likewise, louder if in noisier environment, quieter ring if in quiet environment such as a library. That would be smart.

Old 05-28-2019, 07:45 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Adaptive Brightness is pretty standard on all Android phones that have the newer operating system. One of those many features added in recent years that are helping improve battery life.

I don't think it's plateaued yet. But I think we are in a good place. The latest and greatest tech is out there if you want it, with 90HZ refresh rates or even 120 on the Razer Phone... but older phones are serviceable still for many.
Me? I'll always have a newer phone. I have zero tolerance for slow or laggy or buggy phones.

Old 05-29-2019, 12:23 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
I'll probably just wait for 5G although I'm on the fence with the One Plus 7. I just need to do some research. The older One Plus phones didn't have ANT+ connectivity which is a deal breaker for me.

Old 05-29-2019, 01:03 PM

4,685 posts, read 6,135,229 times
All people are paying $1000 for now is a better CPU and battery life and a upgraded camera. The folding phone feature might be the biggest upgrade we have seen in a while, but its not worth $2000.

Looking at the One Plus 7 Pro, I see no need to get another phone for 4yrs with the specs it has. If most phones came with 64GB standard storage a few years ago, there would be even less upgrades, as most I know upgraded, once they ran out of space or the internal battery died.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:07 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
I have the 6t and agree most people would be well served by the 7Pro for that many years ONLY if the batteries are as cheap to replace as they are on the 6t. OP will replace my battery for $50.

Old 06-02-2019, 05:56 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,516,184 times
I have the original Pixel phone and I still love it. Despite it being almost 3 years old, the camera is especially awesome. Night sight is amazing. I have lost about 30% of my battery capacity and am considering having a new one installed though for now, a quick charge is just fine.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:40 AM

4,666 posts, read 3,860,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
I have the original Pixel phone and I still love it. Despite it being almost 3 years old, the camera is especially awesome. Night sight is amazing. I have lost about 30% of my battery capacity and am considering having a new one installed though for now, a quick charge is just fine.
Did you do one of the later Google updates? The update wrecked my spouses original Pixel. She called Google who had her take it to a local repair shop & that's what the repair shop said & admitted it was the update that overloaded the phone. It was out of warranty so Google did nothing.

I got her an iPhone 8+, but she misses the Pixel camera.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:59 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,448,265 times
Still using budget phones. I've got a cheap LG which has Android 8.1.0. I still get security updates. I still get version updates. I'm on AT&T Prepaid. Paid $35 for the phone.

Only reason I switched this time around was because I had a Hauwei that was stuck on Android 7.0 and wasn't getting security updates. Plus all of the issues they're having with the government. I still have it but it hasn't been my daily driver for months. Before that I used a piece of trash ZTE for laughs and giggles that is essentially only good for the apps it came with. Only has 8 GB internal. That one is still in my drawer as well.

I'll probably run this one until the battery can't charge anymore and get another LG. Might go up to 32 GB internal, because that will probably be the norm then. I've been on 16 GB for a minute. I keep a 32 GB external card in it and have been using that for several years, in and out of various cell phones. Surprised that card is still going.

Might pay $35 again when that time comes. Might look for a free one. Most I ever paid for a phone was $85 anyway.

I'm not against paying a lot for a new phone. I think that people should spend money on what they're into. Just for me I'd rather spend my money on something else. Maybe a PC. Maybe clothes. Maybe a vacation, or invest it in my 401K. Lots of other things I could be doing.

Last edited by goofy328; 06-03-2019 at 06:08 AM..

Old 06-03-2019, 03:22 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,516,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Did you do one of the later Google updates? The update wrecked my spouses original Pixel. She called Google who had her take it to a local repair shop & that's what the repair shop said & admitted it was the update that overloaded the phone. It was out of warranty so Google did nothing.

I got her an iPhone 8+, but she misses the Pixel camera.
I’ve had the monthly updates over the years but never updated to Android Q mainly due to all the “bad” user experiences I was reading as the beta was released. I’d like to update but I’m a little apprehensive. Did your spouse update when the beta was immediately released?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones