U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2008, 08:36 AM

566 posts, read 572,306 times

Advertisements

I am getting a BB Curve 8320 on Tuesday. I have some questions and I was wondering if anyone has one.

When I got my SidekickIII, T-Mobile told me that I could use my MP3s as ringtones, this turned out to be not true. I love my SKIII because it has the QWERTY keyboard and web access.

I read that you can use your MP3s as ringtones on the BB 8320, is this true?

I also read that they were trying to get youtube on BB 8320, that doesn't really matter but, it would be awesome.

Anyway, can anyone help? Please.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 06:55 PM

5,535 posts, read 9,489,847 times
Are you using this as your personal phone? Or via your work through a Blackberry Enterprise Service (in essence, are you looking to receive your work e-mail with this)? If it's for work, they can apply a policy preventing you from doing this.

However, if this will be your personal phone - the Curve can use MP3 as ring tones... but you will most likely need a microSD card as the memory on the phone itself is somewhat limited. The benefit of a microSD is that you can then use it as a MP3 player too. The curve's phone jack is actually stereo (compared to the more business oriented models).

As for youtube... any web enabled phone will be able to get that.... but you will need to have the data plan.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Are you using this as your personal phone? Or via your work through a Blackberry Enterprise Service (in essence, are you looking to receive your work e-mail with this)? If it's for work, they can apply a policy preventing you from doing this.

However, if this will be your personal phone - the Curve can use MP3 as ring tones... but you will most likely need a microSD card as the memory on the phone itself is somewhat limited. The benefit of a microSD is that you can then use it as a MP3 player too. The curve's phone jack is actually stereo (compared to the more business oriented models).

As for youtube... any web enabled phone will be able to get that.... but you will need to have the data plan.
Thank you very much. I have to say that this is a personal/business phone though but, since I'm paying the bill and signing the contract it should be all good, right?? Anyway, I'm sure it's awesome....I'm so excited. Like I said, I love my SKIII but I can't get video on it through e-mail or web.
I am getting the plan similar to the SK package it's like an additional $45 a month, at first I was a little stunned at the price since it's like $15 more than the SK package but, I figured it's worth it. I use IM, E-Mail and text so much. I guess it's a way to stay connected to family & friends allover the country.

Anyway, thanks again!!!!

Old 04-14-2008, 07:29 AM

5,535 posts, read 9,489,847 times
Have you spoken to your IT department about this? In terms of using a personal phone to receive work related e-mails? I know I don't allow this at the company I work at - but we are a financial institution, so we also have stricter policies.

For us, only company provided PDA/Smartphones are allowed to receive e-mails directly. And those phones are very much locked down via the security policies. I've denied numerous requests in the past from staff members who wished to use e-mail on their personal phone...and some were upset because they went out and purchased a new phone just for this capability.

Again, this is just my company. Yours may very well allow it. But I just wanted to point it out so you can ask if necessary. ;-)

Old 04-14-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Have you spoken to your IT department about this? In terms of using a personal phone to receive work related e-mails? I know I don't allow this at the company I work at - but we are a financial institution, so we also have stricter policies.

For us, only company provided PDA/Smartphones are allowed to receive e-mails directly. And those phones are very much locked down via the security policies. I've denied numerous requests in the past from staff members who wished to use e-mail on their personal phone...and some were upset because they went out and purchased a new phone just for this capability.

Again, this is just my company. Yours may very well allow it. But I just wanted to point it out so you can ask if necessary. ;-)

Yeah so far it's ok. I'm not going to have work e-mails on my phone, so far its just for convenience if I'm out of town...through IM and text.

I don't plan on making it completely work related, being in health insurance with all of the HIPPA laws, there's no way that I could get my e-mail anywhere other than in the office. And that's great!! Less for me to worry about.

Thanks for telling me though!!

Old 04-20-2008, 09:17 AM

77 posts, read 303,499 times
YouTube videos do not play with the current software on the Curve.

There is speculation that with the 4.5 OS release for the Curve, this will become a possibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones