Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 03:15 AM

317 posts, read 496,360 times

Advertisements

I'm very old fashioned when it comes to technology stuff. I have an iphone 5 that I only use for phone calls, text messages, and checking the internet. Thats about all I ever use it for. I don't really use any of the other apps or features. But all of my friends and coworkers constantly ridicule me for not upgrading to a newer phone. So I'm trying to understand the logic of spending hundreds of dollars on a newer phone if I already have one that works fine. Is there something that I'm not understanding? Why do I need to keep upgrading?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 03:56 AM

61,705 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Surely you don't need to dump your phone after just a year of use (despite the imploring of carriers and their pricey yearly upgrade programs). But that depends on what phone you have. iPhone 5 was released on September 2012

Flagship phones last you the longest, so wait and see if you are still happy with it. They normally last 2-3 years easily, but the battery will probably be the first thing to cause problems. In your case, I am surprised you still don't have any problems.
If you take pictures, you will get a better camera.
The speed and fluidity will go down. Again, if you didn't notice it yet... then I guess you are OK with it.
A newer model would allow wireless charging, it often comes with more starting storage...
If none of this matters to you, sure - stick with your old iPhone. But as more times goes on, the issue becomes that Apple won't repair old devices. In fact, your iPhone5 is already obsolete.
For phones that old, I assume Apple stopped supplying it with bug fixes for lingering problems and patches for potential security exploits.

Old 06-05-2019, 04:17 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
I have both an iPhone 5 (personal) and an iPhone X (work).

El Nina is correct on all but one count (I downloaded a software update on my 5 a few days ago). The X is faster and superior on all counts. The 5 occasionally lags and locks, the X never does.

That is ok. The difference in performance isn’t worth nearly a $1000 to me. I will wait until my 5 suffers much more lag, or a trulynew feature that I will really use, like 5g, comes out.

Old 06-05-2019, 04:23 AM

61,705 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I have both an iPhone 5 (personal) and an iPhone X (work).

El Nina is correct on all but one count (I downloaded a software update on my 5 a few days ago). The X is faster and superior on all counts. The 5 occasionally lags and locks, the X never does.

That is ok. The difference in performance isn’t worth nearly a $1000 to me. I will wait until my 5 suffers much more lag, or a truly new feature that I will really use, like 5g, comes out.
I agree!!! And I wouldn't worry what the coworkers think. If they don't like what you have, they should buy you a new phone, OP
Some people spend their money on meaningless things, glad you're not one of them.

Old 06-05-2019, 04:27 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
One other difference which may or may not be relevant.

iPhone 5 network bands supported:

GSM model A1429*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5)

iPhone X network bands supported:

FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 66)
TD-LTE (Bands 34, 38, 39, 40, 41)
TD-SCDMA 1900 (F), 2000 (A)
CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900, 2100 MHz)
UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)
GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

As your carrier adds new spectrum to improve coverage they add new network bands which an older phone can’t use. In the case of LTE they make up the majority of new coverage.

Old 06-05-2019, 05:01 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpow View Post
I'm very old fashioned when it comes to technology stuff. I have an iphone 5 that I only use for phone calls, text messages, and checking the internet. Thats about all I ever use it for. I don't really use any of the other apps or features. But all of my friends and coworkers constantly ridicule me for not upgrading to a newer phone. So I'm trying to understand the logic of spending hundreds of dollars on a newer phone if I already have one that works fine. Is there something that I'm not understanding? Why do I need to keep upgrading?
If you are satisfied with your phone, and until you are dissatisfied, you don't need a new phone.

"Ridicule?" You might need new friends and a few boundaries at work, however.

Old 06-05-2019, 05:30 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
The next version of iOS will only support the 6S and up as well. For someone only casually using it this shouldn’t be a problem, but at some point certain apps may not get updated (years away.)

Old 06-05-2019, 05:41 AM

4,667 posts, read 3,862,590 times
For your uses, the reasons to possibly update are for security updates & battery.

IOS is going to stop updates for the iPhone 6 this year, so your 5 has stopped getting updates for sometime. Some of these updates include security patches to protect your phone. But since you use your phone lightly & if you're careful on your internet use then you should be OK.

Battery: You didn't say when you got your phone, but your battery is likely in bad shape being that old. You can get a battery replacement though for a lot cheaper than a new phone if you're content with your 5. You also may be such a light user that your current battery health works for you.

Old 06-05-2019, 05:50 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
For your uses, the reasons to possibly update are for security updates & battery.

IOS is going to stop updates for the iPhone 6 this year, so your 5 has stopped getting updates for sometime. Some of these updates include security patches to protect your phone. But since you use your phone lightly & if you're careful on your internet use then you should be OK.
I agree completely with the first part, but I'm not sure I agree with the last quoted sentence in this particular case. Don't take this the wrong way OP, but you sound like a tech-averse user who might be more susceptible to phishing attempts. (Phishing emails and texts are much better than they used to be, and they fool a lot of smart people.) Clicking the wrong link in an email message could be all it takes to cause a non-updated iPhone to receive malware. I get that new phones are expensive and you'll probably be OK continuing with this phone for a while. Maybe consider picking up a refurbished iPhone instead of a brand new one?

Old 06-05-2019, 06:55 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
True. The network coverage with upgrades constantly being refined.
No matter which phone you use. Your calls are dropped,static ridden, and outages. So I tend to think the network is key ..not so much the phone itself.

I've tried iPhone and too much non essential items are plastered on it.
I really don't care to text. Nor do I need email on a phone.
Do enjoy the GPS mapping though.

Each person has their 'priority' for what they will use the phone for. Some are requirements some are distractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones