Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 07:36 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I am that person. That is one of the highest per GB charges I've seen to date. I knew that you were not planning to use any data when you presented us with this information. But I don't think that it is wise to finance a cell phone. $250 gift card or not. Hotspots or not.
Millions of people 'finance' their phones. In fact, the majority do. The vast majority. There is zero downside to this. When cell phone companies dropped contracts, the age of the $200 subsidized phone died. As a result, cell phone plans got much cheaper, but those $200-$300 phones no longer subsidized are now $800-$1000.
It's not a true financing plan as there is no interest charged. It's just an easier way to pay off your phone.
There's no 'trap'. The $250 is a promotion. They all do it and more. "Buy one iPhone, get a 2nd free!" That's the equivalent of $750 off!!! There are catches. Valid ones, though. If you agree to a payment plan, you can't just leave the service anytime you want without paying off the phone.
Hotspots are a pretty cool thing when you have a low data plan.

You are stuck on the fact that it is Cox. A 'low end user', no offense OP, might be very well served by exactly such a plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 08:03 AM

613 posts, read 944,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Millions of people 'finance' their phones. In fact, the majority do. The vast majority. There is zero downside to this. When cell phone companies dropped contracts, the age of the $200 subsidized phone died. As a result, cell phone plans got much cheaper, but those $200-$300 phones no longer subsidized are now $800-$1000.
It's not a true financing plan as there is no interest charged. It's just an easier way to pay off your phone.
There's no 'trap'. The $250 is a promotion. They all do it and more. "Buy one iPhone, get a 2nd free!" That's the equivalent of $750 off!!! There are catches. Valid ones, though. If you agree to a payment plan, you can't just leave the service anytime you want without paying off the phone.
Hotspots are a pretty cool thing when you have a low data plan.

You are stuck on the fact that it is Cox. A 'low end user', no offense OP, might be very well served by exactly such a plan.
"It's not a true financing plan as there is no interest charged. It's just an easier way to pay off your phone. There's no 'trap'. The $250 is a promotion. They all do it and more."

Yeah, there is no interest charged. And I'm not someone who couldn't pay cash for all the iphones (or whatever) I wanted.

I did look into AT&T. Their cheapest monthly plan for data & voice is $50/mo. They have no pay by the gig plan. They have BOGO on the XR's--two XR's for the price of one, BUT you have to get 2 lines--now I'd be up to $100 mo., plus paying for the phone(s). I called & talked to some sales jerk who wanted to keep grilling me in great detail about my intended useage, then started in with the high-pressure sales stuff ("What's holding you back? WHY don't you want to do this right now? etc.")

I went to an Xfinity store & looked at all the iphones. The XR looks very cool. $749, but with the $250 gift card (that takes 4 months to arrive).......tell me if I'm wrong, but that seems like a net cost of $500 for one of the latest iphones.

I looked up the Xfinity Hotspots in my area. It looks like there are dozens just in my little dip(blank) town in S. NH. I'm not sure how useful that'll be?

And this will probably sound crazy, but it occurred to me that I may miss my little Nokia flip-phone, that I load up with $10 worth of minutes every few months. It's served me well. I'd have to transfer that # to Comcast to get the $250 gift card, etc.

Last edited by WoodyWW; 06-20-2019 at 08:26 AM..

Old 06-20-2019, 08:45 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,453,043 times
I'm not talking about interest. I know there isn't any interest. I just like to pay up front and be done with it. I don't want to pay on the phone and pay for service.

I'm also prepaid, so my situation might be different. I pay $65 a month for unlimited. If you don't need unlimited, the $50 plan is a good deal with 16 GB of data. They also have a 1 GB plan for $40 a month. I don't think that's a good deal. They'll go down to like $35 a month if you don't need any data at all, and offer pay by the day when you make a call, which sounds closer to what you'd be interested in.

Old 06-20-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post
I did look into AT&T. Their cheapest monthly plan for data & voice is $50/mo. They have no pay by the gig plan. They have BOGO on the XR's--two XR's for the price of one, BUT you have to get 2 lines--
Yea, I hate the too. Buy 2 get $750 off!!! Hot damn! Buy one.... don't get one red cent off? We don't need 2!

Quote:
I'm not talking about interest. I know there isn't any interest. I just like to pay up front and be done with it. I don't want to pay on the phone and pay for service.

And that's fine. But the way you aid it: I don't think it's wise to finance a phone. That's fine for you. We are all different. Some people WANT to do it that way. It's like lay away but you get to use the thing while you pay it off. I personally pay full price for my phone too, but I don't think it is at all unwise to do payments. At the heart of it all, what's the difference? Since there is no interest. I ALSO prefer to pay less monthly, but to each their own. At the end of 2 years, we've all paid the same price.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yea, I hate the too. Buy 2 get $750 off!!! Hot damn! Buy one.... don't get one red cent off? We don't need 2!

And that's fine. But the way you aid it: I don't think it's wise to finance a phone. That's fine for you. We are all different. Some people WANT to do it that way. It's like lay away but you get to use the thing while you pay it off. I personally pay full price for my phone too, but I don't think it is at all unwise to do payments. At the heart of it all, what's the difference? Since there is no interest. I ALSO prefer to pay less monthly, but to each their own. At the end of 2 years, we've all paid the same price.
That's true. I just felt, from the tone of the OPs post, that he or she was trying to do something to get $250. Just don't feel that is the right way but who knows what the OPs personal situation is. Also not feeling $12 per GB. I'd rather the OP do Consumer Cellular for those prices.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:15 AM

613 posts, read 944,564 times
Quote:
That's true. I just felt, from the tone of the OPs post, that he or she was trying to do something to get $250. Just don't feel that is the right way but who knows what the OPs personal situation is. Also not feeling $12 per GB. I'd rather the OP do Consumer Cellular for those prices.
Yeah, right, I'm trying to to "do something" to get $250. The "something" being: trying to get a good deal on a new iphone!! THE $250 is just part of the overall deal--like a $250 discount on the price of the phone--can you even understand that?! And I'm sick of arguing about whether or not I should get an "unlimited" plan for $50/mo. when I don't need that! I DON'T WANT TO PAY $600/YEAR for way more gigs than I'd use!! And with the Comcast pay-by-the-gig plan, if I use less than 1 gig per mo., it's not even $12, it's ZERO $$$>

Sheesh.....

Old 06-23-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Yeah, right, I'm trying to to "do something" to get $250. The "something" being: trying to get a good deal on a new iphone!! THE $250 is just part of the overall deal--like a $250 discount on the price of the phone--can you even understand that?! And I'm sick of arguing about whether or not I should get an "unlimited" plan for $50/mo. when I don't need that! I DON'T WANT TO PAY $600/YEAR for way more gigs than I'd use!! And with the Comcast pay-by-the-gig plan, if I use less than 1 gig per mo., it's not even $12, it's ZERO $$$>

Sheesh.....
Then you shouldn't post in the forum. That's what we do around here. We've been at this thing with cell phones for a minute we're just trying to look out for you. Take that as you will.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:30 AM

Damn, dude, lighten up. No one is trying to argue with you. We are trying to help you. We don't get paid for this. Chill out.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:31 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,520,316 times
Consumer Cellular if you are low usage.

$25 - 250 minutes and 2GB.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:28 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:

Sheesh.....
DUDE. Chill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones