Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 09:53 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,477,791 times

Advertisements

When I was getting my internet hooked up the other day, the rep kept pushing for me to consider using Spectrum mobile. I've been seeing the commercials for it, but never really thought about it. Currently, my wife and I have Verizon, unlimited talk & text and 2 GB of data. We pay about $110/month. Spectrum said their mobile service would give us unlimited talk & text, 2 GB of data (1GB per phone line), for $28/month. They claim to use the same Verizon network.

After consideration, I finally decided to go for it with my phone before I switch my wife's phone to it as well. I'm getting my SIM card this weekend.

Has anybody else made the switch and can you tell me what's the catch? If they use the same Verizon network and basically selling you the same service for a quarter of the price, then it seems like a no-brainer to switch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 11:22 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,669,291 times
I think most of the usual caveats of moving from a primary carrier to an MVNO apply:

You'll get a lower priority on busy towers, may not get to roam in areas that Verizon customers would get to, will have lower max speed, and lower video speeds (but you probably won't notice either of these if you are only using 2 GB per month).

Old 07-24-2019, 11:29 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,477,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
I think most of the usual caveats of moving from a primary carrier to an MVNO apply:

You'll get a lower priority on busy towers, may not get to roam in areas that Verizon customers would get to, will have lower max speed, and lower video speeds (but you probably won't notice either of these if you are only using 2 GB per month).
Good call on those! I'm willing to try it out for a little while and see what happens.

Old 07-24-2019, 05:52 PM

325 posts, read 164,011 times
you can't anything like a wearable. i know they just annouced something to do with canada i don't know if you can use your phone in canada without getting nailed for international roaming charges!!! if you have a sammy S10 5G phone you don't even think about taking it with you because they won't activate it. i can't see paying 1,300 smakers for an plain S10. it's prepay only and it has to be auto pay only you can't make payments in the store!!! and if you cancel your spectrum internets then your bill goes up 20.00 smackers more. customer service is clueless on alot of issues as well!!! they don't offer unlimited plans like verizon to where you can buy data on the unlimited plans they just offer the go unlimited plan from verizon. and you will be heavily prioritized it won't be the same verizon experiance then again verizion isn't looking for people looking to save $$$ oh yea and spectrum phones are locked to verizon unlocks there phones once they have been active on someones acct!!! to be honest spectrum mobile sucks like spectrum period. i can't picture taking my phone to a spectrum store and having a rep that's completely clueless try to fix it been there done that atleast with verizon they have different levels of tech support as well.

Old 07-25-2019, 07:36 AM

16,553 posts, read 19,725,221 times
$110 for 2GB is high. Have you talked to Verizon recently? Prices have come down.

Old 07-25-2019, 01:42 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,261,031 times
My husband looked into it at one time. They told him we couldn't take our Verizon phones. Not being able to take the Note 8 I just purchased would have wiped out any savings from switching.

Old 07-25-2019, 01:59 PM

19,066 posts, read 27,642,285 times
Not on topic but here's best deal I found.
XFinity Mobile. 1Gb is $12 plus fees. I am on WiFi everywhere, so 1 Gb is easy. That is for 5 lines, each additional is free. SO we have 2 lines and pay $17. How it jumps from 12 to 17 is mystery but so will be your promised $25.
That said, they use verizon. We don't know, what dropped call is. Connection is perfect anywhere.
the only problem is limited choice of their phones or qualifying phones. And you have to be Comcast customer. You can go unlimited for $45.
I don't know a better deal under excellent service condition. Beats Google Fi, as my son has it and ir drops calls all the time.

Old 07-26-2019, 03:34 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,557,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
$110 for 2GB is high. Have you talked to Verizon recently? Prices have come down.
We pay $90 for two lines and 4gigs with Verizon. 2gigs would be $70

Old 07-26-2019, 05:27 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,536,756 times
If you are paying $110 for 2Gb you are getting robbed. I'm paying Verizon $102 total with tax, for 2 lines and 8GB shared with carry over data, we have 13GB to use this month.

Another option is Verizon prepaid, cost with autopay discount would be $60 total for 2 lines, each line would have 6GB of data.

Old 07-26-2019, 06:56 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,557,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused View Post
If you are paying $110 for 2Gb you are getting robbed. I'm paying Verizon $102 total with tax, for 2 lines and 8GB shared with carry over data, we have 13GB to use this montha.
no one is getting robbed. Someone needs pay attention to the latest plans offered by Verizon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones