Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2019, 07:51 AM

8,053 posts, read 12,774,958 times

Advertisements

I purchased a new cell phone amp and the instructions say I need a certain distance of isolation between the outside antenna and the indoor antenna. They mention at least 30 feet and two layers of building materials.

I currently have an antenna mast that is roughly 20 feet from where I have my inside antenna. I am wondering if I put a piece of metal over the inside antenna to shield it from the outside antenna if that might reduce the distance required allowing me to use my current antenna pole?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 09:45 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,095 times
How tall is the mast, and how far above the interior antenna will the exterior one be?
Is the outdoor antenna directional or omni? (make and model would help with some of this).

20' plus the height of the mast may be enough to help with oscillation issues, but it kind of depends upon the type of outdoor and indoor antenna, and what else is between the two.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:18 AM

https://www.repeaterstore.com/produc...nt=46280396682

The outdoor antenna is directional and the indoor is a panel antenna.

There is 20 ft between the antenna and the ceiling/ roof material. I was thinking that adding a layer of metal (or two) would act as another layer to reduce interference.

I have another Antenna pole I will likely erect but I want to test the unit out first (particularly for best direction) beforehand so I know where to put it up.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:56 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,095 times
Metal can certainly act as a shield between the antennas, so ultimately you can add some if needed (maybe above the indoor antenna), but distance and outdoor antenna direction may be enough to make it a non issue (if the outdoor antenna is pointed away from the indoor one that helps tremendously, but obviously you may not have a choice in that depending upon the tower location).

If you can temporarily move the indoor antenna as far as possible from the outdoor antenna while mounting / aiming the outdoor, then you can probably mitigate any oscillation with distance once the outdoor antenna is on the taller mast.

Not sure on that particular Cel-Fi model, but many boosters have an indicator of some sort that will show when it's in oscillation, so you wouldn't have to worry about adding shielding unless it shows it as a problem.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:57 AM

Just thought I'd let you know how it worked out Skunk Workz. Total failure. Even with extending the inside panel the full 30 ft of cable on the other side of my cabin from the antenna I still had interference. I currently have a "weboost" from Wilson Amps and I can set the inside antenna right under where the outside antenna pole is and it works fine.

I guess the 100db amplification is too much for my setup. I would either have to get a less powerful indoor antenna or maybe a narrower beam outside antenna.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones