Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 02:39 PM

1,685 posts, read 3,958,766 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to a new area and the apartment complex I am moving to has a gate to enter. In order for me to be able to open the gate from my apartment I need a "local" phone #. I don't want to change my cell # - I've had it too many years to change. The Leasing agent said to get a Google Voice #.
Stupid questions to follow:

DO I set up and "forward" all calls to my cell #?
Are there any fees?
If I enter the gate code from my phone will it register with the local # or my cell #?

I'm on a tight timeframe and getting overwhelmed with the packing, moving and starting a new job.

any info is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 03:37 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,796,632 times
First create a GV account and get a number. They will assign you a number, but I think you have to pay $20? for a number you want. You can link your cell phone to your GV. Your phone will ring when the GV is called.

Install the GV app on your phone. Any call made from the GV app will be seen as the GV number.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:31 PM

1,685 posts, read 3,958,766 times
oh my goodness, Thank you! one less task to worry over.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:33 AM

16,552 posts, read 19,725,221 times
Yep. You can get a number for free but won't get to choose it. Like mine is an LA phone number, I live in Ohio.
So for $20 you can pick the area code.

Old 08-16-2019, 09:56 AM

50,884 posts, read 24,393,171 times
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

I recently moved to Arizona from Colorado and asked Verizon for a local number for my smart phone. I didn't have to pay for that.

Old 08-19-2019, 07:20 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,552,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

I recently moved to Arizona from Colorado and asked Verizon for a local number for my smart phone. I didn't have to pay for that.
This is Google Voice though and not Verizon (or ATT, T-Mobile etc.). The person wants a local number but also to keep their old number so the Google Voice service is a good, low cost option (one time fee of $20 to pick your area code).

Old 08-19-2019, 04:53 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,593,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
oh my goodness, Thank you! one less task to worry over.
I assume you understand that Google Voice is "Voice over Internet protocol" so you need Internet Service in your home to work which can't usually be procured for less than $40 a month. If you already have an ISP then you are OK.

The other problem with Google Voice is you can't make a phone call from your car to open the gate since there is internet service. It is unclear if you would ever need to do that.

If you are not going to get Internet, then PAGE PLUS sells cell 120 day plans for $50 with 833 minutes (7 minutes per day). That should be enough to operate a door.
https://www.pagepluscellular.com/plans/

Old 08-19-2019, 08:51 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,505,010 times
Paco, I think this is same issue I had when I moved into my condo. The condo required a local phone number to be set up in a call box that is on the outside of my condo building. Visitors could find my name in this call box, hit a button and that would ring my phone so I could unlock the front door from my phone.

I didn't have them do this since I didn't want to change my cell number. What is a pain is when Amazon delivers something, the driver can't enter my condo building so I have to wait at the front door on the 1st floor (my condo is on the 6th floor) for the delivery. UPS and USPS know how to get into the building so it's not an issue with them. I have a local google voice number so I'm wondering if that would work in the call box? I only care about this when I'm home, awaiting an Amazon delivery and I have internet when I'm home.

OP, is this similar to your situation with the gate?

Old 08-19-2019, 09:27 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,593,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I didn't have them do this since I didn't want to change my cell number. What is a pain is when Amazon delivers something, the driver can't enter my condo building so I have to wait at the front door on the 1st floor (my condo is on the 6th floor) for the delivery. UPS and USPS know how to get into the building so it's not an issue with them. I have a local google voice number so I'm wondering if that would work in the call box? I only care about this when I'm home, awaiting an Amazon delivery and I have internet when I'm home.
I don't see why it wouldn't work. You can use Google Voice to forward your calls from the condo call box to your cell phone. I do it every day. You don't even have to be home as you will still get your calls forwarded.

The problem is outgoing calls on Google Voice if you don't have WiFi or wired internet.

Before it became Google Voice the software was called "Grand Central". The idea was you give out one phone number to everyone, and then you set up the software to forward certain calls to voice mail, to home phones, work phones, or cell phones. In some cases you can send calls to oblivion. Also you could set up schedules so you are not bothered when asleep or meditating.

After it was sold to Google, the software became commonly used as a stand alone product to allow free domestic and cheap international calls (in competition with Skype). They still require a fixed regular phone number to set up Google Voice as they don't want to make it easy for drug dealers to cycle through different phone numbers every week.

Old 08-20-2019, 04:25 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,796,632 times
Hushed or similar programs could be used for this. I paid $20 for a lifetime Hushed number. Like Google Voice, wifi is required, which is available pretty much everywhere these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones