Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2019, 02:39 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,955,874 times

Advertisements

Just as the title says, which is the best app OR method to transfer apps, photos, etc.? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 01:17 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,258 times
Most, if not all of the big carriers have their own utilities to transfer your data (contacts, photos, apps, etc.,) from your new phone to your old phone. Many of the major phone manufacturers have a utility as well. I tend not to use them, but if you back up your phone's info to your Google account you can send your old phone's data to your new phone as you go through the setup procedure for your new phone.

I have a number of phones and when I get a new one and start to setup the new phone, once I register my Google account, the setup program then asks which one of my old phones should be used to copy the info from, to the new phone. I select one and from that phone's Google backup file the apps and contacts and data are copied over to the new phone. It's a pretty painless process that takes anywhere from 5 minutes to a half hour, depending on how much stuff you have on your old phone. If you have apps that are specifically for your old phone that you don't want and they end up being copied to the new one, just go in and delete them off your new phone.

Before you start, make sure your old phone has a good, recent backup to your Google account. Go into your phone's settings and find Accounts and Backup. I just checked my Samsung S8 and it back up to my Samsung account as well as my Google account. If the switch to your Google account is turned off on your old phone, turn it on and run a backup. Make sure the your new phone has Google backup turned on as well once you have it to your liking. Best of luck with your new phone!

Old 08-29-2019, 07:48 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,823,408 times
There will be information this is NOT cloned to a new Android phone when you shift your Google Account from an old phone.
IE: text messages and their attachments and emojis.

If you are replacing a phone, your best move to most likely not miss anything is to take it to a brick-n-mortar storefront of your carrier. They have specialty machines designed to quick-clone phone apps and data, and they'll do it for free.

Old 08-30-2019, 08:42 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
There will be information this is NOT cloned to a new Android phone when you shift your Google Account from an old phone.

If you are replacing a phone, your best move to most likely not miss anything is to take it to a brick-n-mortar storefront of your carrier. They have specialty machines designed to quick-clone phone apps and data, and they'll do it for free.

Ed is right! If you're not comfortable doing this, many phone stores have proprietary software that can accomplish total cloning of a phone, the only exception is usually a transfer from a "feature phone" (a simple flip-phone) to a smart phone. Some feature phones have incompatible software that precludes certain apps and info from being cloned ...and usually, that is the SMS app, which contains old text messages and their attachments. You'll have a better chance of having this done at a phone-company owned, larger store. The smaller stores may lack the equipment and personnel necessary to perform this task. Let us know how it goes!

Old 08-30-2019, 08:45 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,668,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
Not really the cae these days. It's much better. It brings your texts over now unless you have some odd kind of setup. Used to be a PITA.

Old 08-30-2019, 09:42 PM

846 posts, read 1,399,843 times
Smart Switch

Old 09-02-2019, 12:57 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,955,874 times
OP back. Thanks a lot so far guys! I'll keep this all in mind & will do to keeping you posted!

I'm not the most tech-savvy person, so I have no idea how to do this...never had to do it before. Fortunately, I'm not the type to really take photos on my phone. I have a couple, so if anyone knows how to transfer them onto my desktop computer, please let me know.

I really have no apps or texts to carry over at all, so I may not have to hardly do a thing!

Old 09-05-2019, 01:22 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times
If all else fails email them to yourself.

Old 09-07-2019, 07:55 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,353,698 times
I plug my phone into my PC using a USB cable.

In the notification shade it says "USB charging this device Tap for more options" I tap it and choose "Transfer photos (PTP)"

My PC then automatically shows me the photos on the phone so I can choose which ones to copy, delete, etc.

For transferring apps (APK files) first I use an app called "App Backup & Restore" to backup into APK files all the apps I want to move. Then with the phone plugged into the PC, I choose "Transfer files" from the notification shade. My PC then shows me the directories of my SD card and the internal storage of the phone. I navigate to the App Backup & Restore directory, select the app APKs I want to copy, then copy/paste them to a directory on my PC.

Note: the App Backup & Restore saves apps in their original state. It will not save any of your customizations, high scores in games, etc. But it is good for saving older versions of apps that are no longer available from appstores.

If all your apps are current versions, you can just redownload them from the Play store onto your new phone.

Last edited by noodlecat; 09-07-2019 at 08:05 AM..

Old 09-07-2019, 10:42 AM

21,829 posts, read 25,094,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
OP back. Thanks a lot so far guys! I'll keep this all in mind & will do to keeping you posted!

I'm not the most tech-savvy person, so I have no idea how to do this...never had to do it before. Fortunately, I'm not the type to really take photos on my phone. I have a couple, so if anyone knows how to transfer them onto my desktop computer, please let me know.

I really have no apps or texts to carry over at all, so I may not have to hardly do a thing!
I use Google. Photos are uploaded to the cloud which then syncs with my desktop. If you just have a few the easiest way would be to just use a USB cable. It may vary slightly depending on the version of Android your phone is running and any UI overlays. But generally:

1) Plug phone in to computer
2) On your phone in the notifications go to "Charging by USB" and tap that and enable USB file transfer.
3) On the computer a folder should pop up for the device, if not go to "My Computer" and double open it and go to internal storage. If internal storage isn't listed got back and do step 2.
4) Photos on the phone are stored in the DCIM folder (standard naming convention for digital cameras). Copy and paste or drag drop and done.

Alternatively you can go to the photos on your phone and tap on share to email them, upload, attach to a text message or whatnot. Useful if you want to share a few pictures you snapped with friends or family but USB transfer is a lot easier if you just want to store them on your computer.

Last edited by Malloric; 09-07-2019 at 10:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones