Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2019, 04:10 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times

Advertisements

Everyone gets them.....calls from your own area code trying to trick you into picking up.....I just block the individual numbers when I see them come in.

But my wife has been getting deluged with them recently.... sometimes 10 or 15 per day.

Anyone have a recommendation on a good free blocker app for Android that will let you block all robo calls from a certain area code while leaving an exception for anyone in your contacts with the same code?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2019, 04:53 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
You might have to try several apps, one after another to find out which will work best in your area. I trust TrueCaller for years now. Very intuitive. Will block spam calls silently.
I check those blocked calls (when remember), maybe weekly to see if any number looks familiar.
The list will show who called.

Old 09-28-2019, 04:51 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
Some cell providers are offering some robocall protection. Otherwise, the apps are subscription based. I switched to NOMOREROBO yesterday on an iPhone. $20.00 a year. Or $1.99 a month. If it works, I’ll pay.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:22 AM

469 posts, read 467,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Everyone gets them.....calls from your own area code trying to trick you into picking up.....I just block the individual numbers when I see them come in.

But my wife has been getting deluged with them recently.... sometimes 10 or 15 per day.

Anyone have a recommendation on a good free blocker app for Android that will let you block all robo calls from a certain area code while leaving an exception for anyone in your contacts with the same code?
Those calls are called spoofed calls. I don't think you can stop those because they aren't really coming from the number showing up on your caller ID. The best thing to do is just not answer any calls that aren't in your contact list. I live in Florida but I have an Indiana cell number so every time I see a call coming in from Indiana I know it is a spoofed call. It's one reason I don't want a Florida area code. It's very frustrating to deal with these spammers and scammers but I doubt that anything will be done to stop this spoofing anytime soon. Our government seems incapable of implementing a solution. They say they would need cooperation from foreign countries to stop this spoofing.

Old 09-30-2019, 11:19 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
The best one was the scammer who got by the old application and started talking about the issue with my Windows Computer. I starting laughing so hard, the nimrod hung up on me.

Old 10-02-2019, 08:43 AM

1,626 posts, read 1,356,933 times
I use an app that allows only calls from my contacts to ring my phone. All others go to voice mail. My phone doesn't ring for spam calls, and the spammers rarely leave a message. Win win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones