Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2019, 08:50 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,559,913 times

Advertisements

I have an iPhone 7 and two days ago I finally updated to the latest IOS release. I also have hearing aids with Bluetooth app on my phone. I tried following the instructions to choose setting up various options to use with the new IOS release not knowing really what they would do to my phone.

I am running into issues with Bluetooth options. Who ( in their right mind) wants to hear a click in your hearing aids every time you strike a key when you are sending a text? I did manage to find in settings how to turn that option off.

The problem I have not been able to solve is the Bluetooth connection to my hearing aids every time there is an incoming email message, text message or notification that shows up on my phone. It is loud and I think goes directly to my hearing aids so that only I can hear it ( the way my music and telephone calls work with my hearing aids.) So, I need to do something to get these notifications to go back to just being audible on my phone and not going directly to my hearing aids.

I think I originally made a mistake when it asked me if I wanted to enable Bluetooth on my hearing aids and I said yes. I thought it was referring to my app that connects my hearing aids to listen to music and hear via my hearing aids when receiving a phone call. I had no idea it referred to hearing a tone every time a notification arrived on my iPhone.

I can't seem to find a way to turn this off - please help as it is driving me crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 11:27 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,791,304 times
In settings you can set the sounds up the way you want. The other place to play around in is in the notification settings.

Under sound you can change the volume of the ringer.

Old 09-30-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
In settings you can set the sounds up the way you want. The other place to play around in is in the notification settings.

Under sound you can change the volume of the ringer.
Unfortunately changing the volume of the ringer does not work, because, the hearing aid automatically increases the volume of what I hear so that is it loud enough to hear clearly - even with excessive background noise such as running a vacuum cleaner. The louder the background noise, the louder my hearing aid adjusts to compensate. If I lower the setting on the hearing aid I can't hear what someone is saying.

I have tried adjusting notification settings, but, nothing seems to work.

There has to be some way to reverse the selection of the option first presented when I installed the new IOS upgrade as to if I wanted to use Bluetooth with my hearing aids - I just don't know where to look to turn it off.

Old 09-30-2019, 02:35 PM

I am getting closer to an answer. Looking in settings>Accessibility>Hearing Devises I have several options. I think I can eliminate Audio Routing, because that is for Calls and Media - which is what I am used to with my hearing aid app.

The other 3 options are Play Ringtones, Control Nearby Devises and Audio Handoff. I am thinking Play Ringtones might be what I need to turn off - not sure. Don't know what Control Nearby Devises and Audio Handoff refer to - any ideas?

Old 10-01-2019, 12:01 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
I am getting closer to an answer. Looking in settings>Accessibility>Hearing Devises I have several options. I think I can eliminate Audio Routing, because that is for Calls and Media - which is what I am used to with my hearing aid app.

The other 3 options are Play Ringtones, Control Nearby Devises and Audio Handoff. I am thinking Play Ringtones might be what I need to turn off - not sure. Don't know what Control Nearby Devises and Audio Handoff refer to - any ideas?
I do not know the answer, but Audio Handoff sounds like it makes the sounds play on another device, which might be the hearing aid. I'm just guessing because I can't afford hearing aids to test it. You'll have to try it and see.

Old 10-01-2019, 03:39 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,511,926 times
This is all I see on the accessibility menu you mentioned (I don’t wear a hearing aid.)
Attached Thumbnails
problem with iphone 7 and latest update-594ab992-133a-4ad2-a7ea-4f2aca61f517.jpeg  

Old 10-01-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I do not know the answer, but Audio Handoff sounds like it makes the sounds play on another device, which might be the hearing aid. I'm just guessing because I can't afford hearing aids to test it. You'll have to try it and see.
I decided to turn off all three options. If I find out I need any of the three at least I know how to find the options by going to settings> accessibility> hearing aids.

I do love how my Bluetooth enabled hearing aids work with the app on my iPhone - it makes my life so much better by automatically adjusting at any given time my hearing aids based upon my location and the noise level. It is just that the latest upgrade to the iPhone with regard to Bluetooth caused some unexpected issues and it took a while to find where to look in settings to fix the problems it created.

Hopefully this post will help others to know where to look within settings if they have Bluetooth enabled hearing aids and run into a similar problem.

Old 10-01-2019, 06:28 PM

If I understand you correctly, you use your hearing aid with your phone through a non-native (third party) app. My mother uses hers through the apple interface as it seems you are now set up to do. She is pretty happy with it but experiences some hiccups at times, especially when she gets in her car and it reconnects there.

My suggestion is you turn off the settings until your menu appears as mine does above, then check the settings of the app you’ve been using up until now.

Old 10-02-2019, 04:30 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,256,608 times
Apple has already released 2 patches for iOS 13. Make sure it gets updated.

Old 10-02-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Apple has already released 2 patches for iOS 13. Make sure it gets updated.
I’m looking forward to 13.3 and hope they fix a problem where I can’t skip music tracks via my car’s control buttons anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones