Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 08:17 PM

171 posts, read 94,479 times

Advertisements

I've been doing a lot of traveling, road trips etc. since I am now retired. I was seriously considering buying camera equipment to capture some of these adventures. Then I thought why not upgrade my phone (5 years old) to an iphone 11 pro and do without the bulky camera equipment. Most of my photography will be of buildings, landmarks, scenic shots, people etc. Any photographers and iphone owners have an opinion on this- iphone 11 pro vs bulky camera equipment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2019, 08:42 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
It depends on how good you want your photos to be. Cell phones and point-and-shoot digitals can take really good pictures; but there is no way that a 3/8" diameter plastic two or three element cell phone lens can compete with SLR glass.

For example, a typical "normal" lens for SLR is 50 mm f/1.8 or f/1.4 and the front element is something like 2 1/2" in diameter and the sensor is 36 mm x 24 mm.

Your cell phone is probably f/10 at best with an element 3/8" in diameter and I don't know how big the sensor is but I'd bet it's something like 10 x 15 mm. There's no way you're going to get SLR-like clarity with that, especially in low light conditions.

That said, the best camera for traveling is the one you have with you. If you get a pantload of complicated bulky stuff and you end up leaving it behind, then you would have been better off with the cell phone or a point and shoot.

(For full disclosure, I only use a point and shoot for the last 10+ years.)

Old 11-06-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
It depends on how good you want your photos to be. Cell phones and point-and-shoot digitals can take really good pictures; but there is no way that a 3/8" diameter plastic two or three element cell phone lens can compete with SLR glass.

For example, a typical "normal" lens for SLR is 50 mm f/1.8 or f/1.4 and the front element is something like 2 1/2" in diameter and the sensor is 36 mm x 24 mm.

Your cell phone is probably f/10 at best with an element 3/8" in diameter and I don't know how big the sensor is but I'd bet it's something like 10 x 15 mm. There's no way you're going to get SLR-like clarity with that, especially in low light conditions.

That said, the best camera for traveling is the one you have with you. If you get a pantload of complicated bulky stuff and you end up leaving it behind, then you would have been better off with the cell phone or a point and shoot.

(For full disclosure, I only use a point and shoot for the last 10+ years.)
I figured that a SLR type of camera would take "better" photos. I'm looking at it from the standpoint, that is it really worth carrying all that equipment just to take a "better" photo, whereas an 11 pro should adequately do the job, with less hassle. I'm not really going to do any specialty type of photography, like taking a photo of a humming bird etc. to enter into a photo contest. I will just be taking the occasional photo during my travels.

Old 11-06-2019, 09:43 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default iPhone rules

Quote:
It depends on how good you want your photos to be.

Your cell phone is probably f/10 at best
1, iPhone 11 Pro lenses are:

Triple 12MP Ultra Wide, Wide, and Telephoto cameras
Ultra Wide: ƒ/2.4 aperture and 120° field of view
Wide: Æ’/1.8 aperture
Telephoto: Æ’/2.0 aperture

2, Austin Mann takes very good photos with iPhones: iPhone 11 Pro Camera Review — Austin Mann

Old 11-06-2019, 09:46 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,811,388 times
The Pixel 2 and Pixel 3, followed by the new iPhone 11 Pro are great at taking photos in several light conditions, but you're not going to necessarily get the same quality of photos as a solid lens. The reason for this is that the sensor is so small. Even with the Pixel's f/2.2 lens and the the iPhone's f/1.4 lens, the lens and the sensor is small.

That being said, you don't need a bulky SLR to take great photos. There's compact point & shoots that will take excellent photos. Also, SLRs, with their large sizes are becoming less popular. The lenses are heavy and big compared to a modern non-SLR.

Old 11-06-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Your cell phone is probably f/10 at best
OP is referring to the iPhone 11 Pro... not the original iPhone.

Old 11-06-2019, 10:34 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
As a photographer who has bulky photo gear and doesn't use a smartphone, you are probably better off with the iPhone as your camera based on the limited info you gave. More likely to carry around with you more often. Dedicated gear best for those who travel for photography.

Old 11-06-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
The Pixel 2 and Pixel 3, followed by the new iPhone 11 Pro are great at taking photos in several light conditions, but you're not going to necessarily get the same quality of photos as a solid lens. The reason for this is that the sensor is so small. Even with the Pixel's f/2.2 lens and the the iPhone's f/1.4 lens, the lens and the sensor is small.

That being said, you don't need a bulky SLR to take great photos. There's compact point & shoots that will take excellent photos. Also, SLRs, with their large sizes are becoming less popular. The lenses are heavy and big compared to a modern non-SLR.
Another poster also mentioned the point & shoot, worth checking out.

Old 11-06-2019, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
As a photographer who has bulky photo gear and doesn't use a smartphone, you are probably better off with the iPhone as your camera based on the limited info you gave. More likely to carry around with you more often. Dedicated gear best for those who travel for photography.
I like to travel light, so it would seem logical to get something compact. I haven't ruled out bulky photo gear at this point, just considering all options. Btw, what minimum photo gear would you recommend for a novice photographer? Type of camera? Lens? at a reasonable price.

Old 11-06-2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMES67 View Post
Another poster also mentioned the point & shoot, worth checking out.
I highly recommend the Sony RX100 series (The IV and IV are fairly affordable).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones