Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 09:29 AM

8,284 posts, read 6,366,578 times

Advertisements

Interesting reading I thought especially if your getting up there or fairly new to phones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2019, 04:19 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,507,029 times
But the thread is about seniors and smartphones, not smartphones per se.

What gets me are the people on that thread who say they would not get a smartphone if you put a gun to their head. They would rather travel with a flip phone, laptop, camera, books, paper maps, etc. instead of a smartphone? And good luck finding a phone book while cruising down an interstate at 70mph so you want to book a motel room

Last edited by Mr5150; 11-16-2019 at 04:34 PM..

Old 11-17-2019, 01:40 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,169,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
But the thread is about seniors and smartphones, not smartphones per se.

What gets me are the people on that thread who say they would not get a smartphone if you put a gun to their head. They would rather travel with a flip phone, laptop, camera, books, paper maps, etc. instead of a smartphone? And good luck finding a phone book while cruising down an interstate at 70mph so you want to book a motel room
That’s what AAA TripTiks are for...

Old 11-18-2019, 07:58 AM

16,501 posts, read 19,575,896 times
LOL @ Triptik.
I was at the hospital last week and thoroughly enjoyed eavesdropping on this pair of ladies behind me.
The younger woman (mid 60's) saying she couldn't possibly use an iPad and the 70 maybe 80 yr old woman telling her "Sure you could" and showing her all the things she did with hers.

Old 11-26-2019, 08:24 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,590,355 times
I am one of the posters in that thread and it is disheartening to see the number of smartphone Luddites posting there.

Old 11-27-2019, 06:41 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,243,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I am one of the posters in that thread and it is disheartening to see the number of smartphone Luddites posting there.
Yeah, well, "Luddite" is a term thrown around by people who: a) follow every gadget trend because it's new and "everyone's doing it"; and b) don't actually know who the Luddites were; when they encounter someone who is resistant to the marketeering that they themselvese can't resist.

If you had been awake back in sociology class when they described the standard advertising techniques you'd be able to recognize that gadget marketing uses

"Everyone's doing it",
"Be the first on your block", and
"New and Improved!"

to sell their products.

You do realize, that for some of us, the harder you push us, the more abuse you send our way, the more you try to ridicule our choices, the less likely we are to want to adopt whatever thing you're so desperately wanting us to adopt? Or do you?

Believe it or not, adopting the "smart" phone is a choice. And the existence of a choice means that one can choose not to. Believe it or not, there are some of us who actually lead happy lives without buying the latest doohickey in each category that is invented and advertised.

Why is it "disheartening" to see that a lot of people are not interested in "smart" phones? Surely we're a pretty small fraction of Americans. Are you financially interested in the business? Or are you just emotionally invested?

Just remember, advertising creates desire and desire creates suffering.

Old 11-27-2019, 12:24 PM

LMAO! Triggered!

Old 11-27-2019, 12:27 PM

Oh, and this just so you realize you aren't as intelligent as you want us to believe.

Quote:
a person opposed to new technology or ways of working.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Yeah, well, "Luddite" is a term thrown around by people who: a) follow every gadget trend because it's new and "everyone's doing it"; and b) don't actually know who the Luddites were; when they encounter someone who is resistant to the marketeering that they themselvese can't resist.

Old 11-27-2019, 12:58 PM

Sorry, but I prefer prescriptive dictionaries to descriptive dictionaries.

And I don't think shouting "triggered" is a successful argument that my ideas are invalid.

Do you have anything to say about, for example, this statement:

"Advertising creates desire, and desire creates suffering"?

Or is your capability for reasoned discourse limited to tossing pejoratives, whose derivation you don't understand?

Old 11-27-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Oh, and this just so you realize you aren't as intelligent as you want us to believe.
i have known lots of people of modest intelligence who don't believe everything they are told by those who want to sell them things. I have also known lots of people of high intelligence who follow each successive trend - whether it be in "technology" or any of a number of other fields - without ever questioning it, or realizing that they have a choice not to follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones