Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 10:24 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,631,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
No. You missed my point. Kids have struggled to make change since registers were doing it for them as far back as the 70's. This is not a new phenomenon.

^ this.

I worked fast food in the late 80s, and never had to count back change.

The reality is that most places can't even sell you something without power, so it really doesn't matter if someone can count back change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2019, 02:33 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,567,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Its sort of illegal to not accept legal tender to make purchases.

Refusing to have a smartphone is a personal choice. But for me, when I travel I prefer to carry my iPhone and not need a laptop or separate camera or a pile of books and maps in my suitcase. I live in a rural community
It's very legal, but you won't like the consequences. If you owe someone money and they refuse a legal tender of payment, the debt is canceled. If you go into a store to buy something and they refuse cash, you can walk out with it. You tried to pay. They refused. It's yours.

Read the dollar bill. "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private."

https://www.law.cornell.edu/ucc/3/3-603

Old 11-21-2019, 05:28 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,567,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
As long as you want.

One of my grandmothers has a cellphone she never uses and the other just throws them away whenever anyone tries to give one to her. They're fine-ish. Both getting old. They'll die from natural causes long before refusing to use a cell phone is more than an inconvenience.
Cell service is getting more reliable, but there is still no service at my house. A land line is the only choice.

For travel, the cell phone and a bluetooth keyboard is more convenient than a laptop. My tablet requires wifi for full functionality, though it came with MS Works and is great for writing.

The smart phone is a great media center. My LG has a SD slot, so my whole music catalog (decades of albums) is on it, about 40 gb of 256k mpeg files. While I'm puttering in the shop, I can put it on shuffle and never hear the same song twice. Another choice is audio books. Audible has a nice selection of Great Courses, so I can listen to novels or top quality lectures while I putter. The phone didn't come with bluetooth headphones, but the jogger bluetooth earbuds are very practical for an active person.

Old 11-21-2019, 07:17 PM

7,467 posts, read 13,462,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
It's very legal, but you won't like the consequences. If you owe someone money and they refuse a legal tender of payment, the debt is canceled. If you go into a store to buy something and they refuse cash, you can walk out with it. You tried to pay. They refused. It's yours.

Read the dollar bill. "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private."

https://www.law.cornell.edu/ucc/3/3-603
Odd.. that's not what the Federal Reserve seems to say at:
https://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/currency_12772.htm

"There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person, or an organization must accept currency or coins as payment for goods or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether to accept cash unless there is a state law which says otherwise."

Old 11-22-2019, 07:46 AM

16,454 posts, read 19,473,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
That's a sad excuse. I don't think schools prepare the younger generation for life in general any longer. Simple match, like making change, needs to be a mandatory requirement for all, well before high school.
Kids today!! Really? You totally sound like that. You know that, right? Same **** your parents probably said about you! OMG. I can't believe they don't teach proper horse riding skills in school anymore!

Typical Boomer ranting on how life was so much better when you were young...

Dear Schools;

Why don't you just concentrate on educating my kid to be competitive in today's global economy? I will prepare him for life in general. Please don't waste time on "Home Economics". We've been teaching our boy to cook since he was 4 years old. I will teach him how to balance a checkbook. Or make change.
You teach him math, please. and Science.

I was actually annoyed that the school was teaching my kid how to read an analog clock. Why?!? We don't need to teach that anymore.

Old 11-23-2019, 11:28 AM

17,670 posts, read 29,556,070 times
"How long can people continue to live in the U.S. without Internet and/or a Smartphone?"
13.23 years.

Old 11-23-2019, 12:24 PM

1,198 posts, read 2,028,092 times
I get along okay with a Tracfone. I can call and text, take a photo and type little notes to myself, although I don't really have anyone to call or text, so the minutes just keep rolling over. It doesn't handle apps and internet browsing is too cumbersome. That's where I would run into problems, if the world suddenly decided mobile pay was the only acceptable form of payment. I live in a large city with three major sports teams. All three require an app for tickets. No paper tickets are allowed. I imagine other major venues, airlines and retailers will follow in the coming years.

My phone is also 3G, so I will probably be forced to upgrade in the next year or so anyway. I hope there's a cost-effective option.

Old 11-23-2019, 03:15 PM
KCZ

4,654 posts, read 3,601,120 times
"How long can people continue to live in the U.S. without Internet and/or a Smartphone"

Probably until state or local govts mandate that internet and cell service be made available to every household. There are still a lot of places with no high-speed internet and/or no cell service because it's not profitable for utility companies to provide it.

Old 11-23-2019, 03:32 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,621,572 times
I could care less as long as businesses post big sign that they only accept phone app payments. I just wont shop there. Their loss, not mine. Though I get why they dont want cash, means making a bank run and dealing with huge amount of coins. Not sure why they cant take credit or debit card though.

I suspect it will just mostly be trendy upscale convenience type business that doesnt want your fuddy duddy frugal self in their business anyway. And probably charges obscene amount for minimal goods and services.

Old 11-25-2019, 03:20 PM

5,318 posts, read 8,487,881 times
Here is a recent article about efforts to force businesses to accept cash: https://blogs.findlaw.com/free_enter...take-cash.html

As per the article, it appears that Mass, Connecticut, and New Jersey are the only states that have banned cashless businesses.

My primary care doctor is in a large clinic, and they have stopped accepting cash and checks. You have the option of being billed for your copay - which allows you to mail in a check, but then you also have to pay postage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones