U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2021, 05:20 PM

14,112 posts, read 7,116,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
wish it had windows mobile
There’s a Windows 10-style launcher but no Windows.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2021, 01:17 AM

7,609 posts, read 4,721,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
There’s a Windows 10-style launcher but no Windows.

Old 03-09-2021, 01:00 PM

37,520 posts, read 65,043,212 times
I have one on my desk as of yesterday.
Fascinating device.

Silky smooth, and pretty. Just have to train my hands to handle it, being so much wider than a typical phone.

Old 03-14-2021, 12:27 PM

16,426 posts, read 18,504,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
wish it had windows mobile
Given how useless Windows for ARM is it's not really any great loss. That's really my only interest in it, but it's more pipedream than reality. It would be cool if you could run a VM of Windows in Android on it, basically a phone that could double as a pocket PC. I'd buy that. Unfortunately MS has never taken the time to develop a useful x86 emulator for Windows as Apple has. They may eventually but Windows for ARM is nothing new and been nearly useless for a long time now. When they announced the Neo I was hopeful but with that being indefinitely delayed that is pretty much out. Microsoft may respond to Apple but I doubt it.

Really, there's more likelihood in the near term that Apple will knockoff the Duo. Doesn't do me any good as I use Windows software, but they do have a x86 emulator that largely does work while Microsoft does not.

Old 03-14-2021, 03:08 PM

7,609 posts, read 4,721,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Given how useless Windows for ARM is it's not really any great loss. That's really my only interest in it, but it's more pipedream than reality. It would be cool if you could run a VM of Windows in Android on it, basically a phone that could double as a pocket PC. I'd buy that. Unfortunately MS has never taken the time to develop a useful x86 emulator for Windows as Apple has. They may eventually but Windows for ARM is nothing new and been nearly useless for a long time now. When they announced the Neo I was hopeful but with that being indefinitely delayed that is pretty much out. Microsoft may respond to Apple but I doubt it.

Really, there's more likelihood in the near term that Apple will knockoff the Duo. Doesn't do me any good as I use Windows software, but they do have a x86 emulator that largely does work while Microsoft does not.

I do not like android. THe only problem with apple is that its too controlling. windows mobile had the write level of freedom and control.

I could easily use the phone as a plug and play fast drive and transfer files. With apple, I want to transfer music files, i need itunes. I refuse to install itunes on pc.

Old 03-15-2021, 06:42 AM

I've been configuring the Duo with the apps I want, etc.
Today, I will install the Sim card, and test drive it.

So far, I am quite enchanted with the app interfaces and usability over other phones I have had.

Old 03-15-2021, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I've been configuring the Duo with the apps I want, etc.
Today, I will install the Sim card, and test drive it.

So far, I am quite enchanted with the app interfaces and usability over other phones I have had.
I still haven’t used mine a lot but having Skype on one screen and Outlook on the other is useful.

Old 03-15-2021, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I still haven’t used mine a lot but having Skype on one screen and Outlook on the other is useful.
I already know that LastPass and DocuSign are far more user friendly than on my Note 10+.

Old 04-02-2021, 05:49 AM

So....
After using the Duo for my primary phone for a couple of weeks, I decided to go back to my Note 10+.

The Duo is great and beautiful does some things so nicely without the burden of the Samsung bloatware. But, I just wasn't willing to put in the learning time to make it primary.
And, the camera. I was fine with the quality. The clumsiness, not so much.

IF they come out with an improved Version 2, I may have to reassess at that time.

Old Today, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
So....
After using the Duo for my primary phone for a couple of weeks, I decided to go back to my Note 10+.

The Duo is great and beautiful does some things so nicely without the burden of the Samsung bloatware. But, I just wasn't willing to put in the learning time to make it primary.
And, the camera. I was fine with the quality. The clumsiness, not so much.

IF they come out with an improved Version 2, I may have to reassess at that time.
I’m happy overall with mine, especially what I paid for it. Definitely not perfect though and I use an iPhone 12 Pro Max as my personal phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones