Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2020, 01:48 PM

388 posts, read 327,362 times

Advertisements

I know how to turn the speaker on when I make a call, but I don't know how to turn it on when I receive a call.

Moto E4, Android 7.1.1

I looked in my manual and nothing is covered there regarding speaker use.

OK, nevermind I just found out how this works.

An icon (yellow circle with l on it) pops on the screen when the phone is answered. Touching this "Circle L" brings up a menu of options including Speaker.

Last edited by JohnPBailey; 04-29-2020 at 03:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2020, 02:46 PM

6,478 posts, read 10,347,099 times
When you receive a call, the phone will show the incoming call. On the bottom, left of the "0" key you should find the key to activate the speaker. If you have any difficulty, you should try to visit a store (if they are open in your area during the current pandemic) and have them show you/troubleshoot the phone.

Some phone manuals are very vague. You could also try an internet search for "how to turn on speakerphone Motorola E4".

Hope that helps.

Old 04-29-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
When you receive a call, the phone will show the incoming call. On the bottom, left of the "0" key you should find the key to activate the speaker. If you have any difficulty, you should try to visit a store (if they are open in your area during the current pandemic) and have them show you/troubleshoot the phone.

Some phone manuals are very vague. You could also try an internet search for "how to turn on speakerphone Motorola E4".

Hope that helps.

On mine, there is a bar on top to answer or reject the call coming in. When answered, the icon pops on the desk to lead to an options menu when tapped: the speaker is on this I just discovered.

Tello Mobile has cheap plans but their support for phones sold by them sucks. No telephone support: chat/email only. Paltry 30-day warranty on phones they sell new or used only.

Is it better to buy a phone separate from the carrier to get better product support and longer coverage?

Old 04-29-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPBailey View Post

Is it better to buy a phone separate from the carrier to get better product support and longer coverage.
It is IMHO. There are a few potential issues that you need to confirm by yourself: which bands/frequencies are supported by your phone and carrier. There may be a list of supported devices on your provider's internet site. Secondly, if you do need warranty support or product troubleshooting, you might have to contact the phone manufacturer for assistance if your provider doesn't sell that device.

Old 04-29-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
It is IMHO. There are a few potential issues that you need to confirm by yourself: which bands/frequencies are supported by your phone and carrier. There may be a list of supported devices on your provider's internet site. Secondly, if you do need warranty support or product troubleshooting, you might have to contact the phone manufacturer for assistance if your provider doesn't sell that device.
Buying a phone outside the carrier will cost much more to purchase too. The customer is screwed every which way. I don't think American consumers are nearly as well-protected by the government as they were last century.

One month warranty on even a new phone from a carrier is absolutely ridiculous. I guess I could contact Motorola directly and register my phone and see if they warrant my phone beyond and above the carrier.

Old 04-29-2020, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Buying a phone outside the carrier will cost much more to purchase too. The customer is screwed every which way. I don't think American consumers are nearly as well-protected by the government as they were last century.
Ironically you could also say "last millenium" instead.

Old 04-30-2020, 09:18 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Quote:
One month warranty on even a new phone from a carrier is absolutely ridiculous. I guess I could contact Motorola directly and register my phone and see if they warrant my phone beyond and above the carrier.
No company offfers a 1 month warranty on a NEW phone. Refurbs, maybe.

Old 04-30-2020, 09:29 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,441 times
Maybe phones aren't for you?

Old 04-30-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
No company offfers a 1 month warranty on a NEW phone. Refurbs, maybe.
Tello, a daughter of Sprint, sure does:

https://tello.com/terms

Phone Warranty

All phones (new or refurbished) purchased from Tello have a 30 day warranty. If you need to check the warranty or return the phone, you'll need to contact our Customer Support team. They will help you ship the phone back to the provider without any shipping costs.

If your device is defective and it's eligible for a warranty replacement, we'll replace the defective device with a new or refurbished device of the same or comparable model from our available stock. The warranty we offer only covers defects in functionality, materials or workmanship. The warranty covers issues such as software-related problems, activation problems, camera defects, unresponsive keys, multiple dead pixels, etc.

It does not cover defects arising from damage, normal wear-and-tear or liquid accidents. The warranty does not cover issues like diminishing battery life, scratches, damage from drops, accidental damage, coverage issues, or software incompatibility or problems with third-party apps. Attempting to 'root', open or fix your device will immediately void its warranty. Visible physical damage to your device will void its warranty.

The refurb Moto E4 I got from Tello was $79 after the so-called "$40 discount", a marketing gimmick, for sure. The last phone I had was an Obamaphone. It was a refurb older Huawei android I got in 2015 and paid nothing for. It lasted at least 5 years with no issues. This was in California and under that state's LifeLine program. I'm no longer eligible for LifeLine since my Internet is now under LifeLine. I take care of my phones and never beat them. My refurb Moto should last ten years or more since I baby my things so much. At least the back comes off to replace a battery. I may need a new battery from time to time. I went with Tello Mobile/Sprint Networks because plans are under $10/mo. I now have the Obamaphone in my junk collection. My ISP is normally $45/mo. but is now only $10.74/mo. out of my paltry pocket after the LifeLine assistance.

Tello has cheap plans but the caveats are U get what U pay 4. No telephone tech support. Chat/email only. Limited warranty protection on Tello-vended locked equipment. The savings by having cheap mobile plans should more than make it economically feasible to replace a phone with another refurb one every several years if need be. Phones aren't like American cars or Chinese LG washing machines: they don't tend to break down mechanically speaking. They tend to be more than Toyota-reliable and long-lived.

Last edited by JohnPBailey; 04-30-2020 at 10:13 AM..

Old 04-30-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Chinese LG washing machines
I don't know where LG appliances are assembled, but LG and Samsung are S Korea owned companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones