Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 11:29 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,007,991 times

Advertisements

Bose bashing is SO 1990s.

I'm a non-Apple user looking for a good pair of SOMETHING to use on my runs and at the gym. Feels weird trying things out then returning them (especially now) and trying on at a store is a no go.

Haven't tried pods, not sure what to try at around a $75 price point.

For gym/running. Not audiophile level listening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 12:05 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,429,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Bose bashing is SO 1990s.

I'm a non-Apple user looking for a good pair of SOMETHING to use on my runs and at the gym. Feels weird trying things out then returning them (especially now) and trying on at a store is a no go.

Haven't tried pods, not sure what to try at around a $75 price point.

For gym/running. Not audiophile level listening.
I didn't even know Bose bashing was a "thing". They are still a rip-off regardless even going back to 1970s. Ever heard of Bose 901s? Imagine 8 full range speakers inside of a cabinet. They could handle a LOT of power but sounded "flat". Way expensive even back then.

Old 05-14-2020, 12:11 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,007,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I didn't even know Bose bashing was a "thing". They are still a rip-off regardless even going back to 1970s. Ever heard of Bose 901s?
Of course I have.

I'm not a fan overall. There were some smaller bookshelf versions my roommates had in college that were ok in a dorm room environment. Just ok.

Old 05-14-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Of course I have.

I'm not a fan overall. There were some smaller bookshelf versions my roommates had in college that were ok in a dorm room environment. Just ok.
I'm a Klipsch fan myself. Some people love them, some hate them. That seems to be the way with most things.

Here's a bit of a flashback. This was before my time and interesting.

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...speaker-system

Old 05-14-2020, 12:36 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,163,866 times
Quote:
It's only YOUR opinion on the sound of the beats. It is totally subjective. I would consider myself an audiophile, I've been into Hifi since 1976 . What you consider good may sound like crap to me and vice-versa and just because you spent $100 on them doesn't make them any better. I guarantee you they are not worth even the $20 you mention as was stated in the article I posted and that was about the $200 model. Higher cost doesn't always mean better. I thought everybody knew that?

Good example of this whole scam is Bose products and especially Bose speakers. I don't think they sound that good, some people love them and think there the best thing ever, only because they spent a ton on them.
Bose does a great job marketing their speakers and keeping their prices high. Having said that, I've got a pair of 301s that I use as PC gaming speakers that I like, some QC20s that have probably saved my sanity on a lot of overseas flights over the past decade, and QC25s that I got for a really good price that I also use.

I agree that everything is totally subjective. Not only because people prefer different frequency response, but because everyone has different hearing.

Old 05-14-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Bose does a great job marketing their speakers and keeping their prices high. Having said that, I've got a pair of 301s that I use as PC gaming speakers that I like, some QC20s that have probably saved my sanity on a lot of overseas flights over the past decade, and QC25s that I got for a really good price that I also use.

I agree that everything is totally subjective. Not only because people prefer different frequency response, but because everyone has different hearing.
I actually had some 301s I picked up used from a friend. I don't remember how much I paid but probably not much, maybe they were a gift? Those were more like traditional speakers and had separate drivers. Decent sounding and they still make them although they have changed over the years. They looked like this.

Old 05-14-2020, 01:32 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,348,722 times
Quote:
Good example of this whole scam is Bose products and especially Bose speakers. I don't think they sound that good, some people love them and think there the best thing ever, only because they spent a ton on them.
I don't think you've actually heard good Bose speakers. Bose makes two lines... their mainstream stuff and their old school premium stuff (not to mention their high-end headphones -- but that's in a whole different category).

The crap you see in cars and at mainstream retail stores... is good quality mainstream, but nothing to write home about. It's all name and no quality like Beats headphones.

Old 05-14-2020, 01:33 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,503,545 times
Quote:
It's only YOUR opinion on the sound of the beats. It is totally subjective. I would consider myself an audiophile, I've been into Hifi since 1976 . What you consider good may sound like crap to me and vice-versa and just because you spent $100 on them doesn't make them any better. I guarantee you they are not worth even the $20 you mention as was stated in the article I posted and that was about the $200 model. Higher cost doesn't always mean better. I thought everybody knew that?

Why should you care how I spend my money? My opinion matters to one person; me. A $100 is nothing for me. I live in nice but modest house, drive a nice but modest car. I buy new iPhones that are last years flagship models.

I learned years ago that going cheap is usually a waste of money. Why are you so bothered that I enjoy my 5 year old $100 beats? And have you ever heard “you get what you pay for”? I’ve thrown away more than one of those $25 earbuds I would have saved $50 if I simply bought the beats to start with over five years ago

Old 05-14-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Why should you care how I spend my money? My opinion matters to one person; me. A $100 is nothing for me. I live in nice but modest house, drive a nice but modest car. I buy new iPhones that are last years flagship models.

I learned years ago that going cheap is usually a waste of money. Why are you so bothered that I enjoy my 5 year old $100 beats? And have you ever heard “you get what you pay for”? I’ve thrown away more than one of those $25 earbuds I would have saved $50 if I simply bought the beats to start with over five years ago
Why would I care about what you do? You took the time to criticize and put down what I posted. It's just tit for tat, if you can't handle it, next time keep it to yourself. I couldn't care less what you buy you make all of these assumptions that I don't know what I am talking about. Why do you care should be the question?

I assume you did not read the article I posted about the beats. If you did have you would see it's made of cheap Chinese parts. Just because they con people into paying all kinds of money does NOT make them better.

The $25 set sounds just as good or better than your beats BS and lasts just as long. It's my opinion. There is no wrong answer.

I'll save you the trouble of clicking on a link

Quote:
Beats headphones, known more for their style rather than their actual sound quality, cost significantly less to manufacture than their retail price suggests, according to a report from Bolt engineer Avery Louie that shouldn't surprise many.

Louie decided to tear down a pair of Beats Solo HD headphones, which cost $199 when they first hit the market in 2013. From the parts found within, Louie estimated that the total materials cost, including production and tooling of individual components, for these headphones and their packaging was just $16.89, or around 8.5% of the retail cost.

While this bill of materials (BOM) cost doesn't include the cost of research and development, labor, shipping or retailer margins, it goes to show just how expensive the actual components in a pair of headphones are. For example, the two speakers included in the Beats Solo HD headphones, arguably the most important components, cost just an estimated $1.80 in total to produce.
Here's more of a breakdown.
https://medium.com/@BenEinstein/how-...e-154aae384b36

But now I see that this about the beats HEADPHONES, not earbuds. earbuds cost even less to make

So what were you saying about cheap? And I don't mean inexpensive.

Last edited by gguerra; 05-14-2020 at 02:10 PM..

Old 05-14-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
I don't think you've actually heard good Bose speakers. Bose makes two lines... their mainstream stuff and their old school premium stuff (not to mention their high-end headphones -- but that's in a whole different category).

The crap you see in cars and at mainstream retail stores... is good quality mainstream, but nothing to write home about. It's all name and no quality like Beats headphones.
I have heard some of them, even the so called "premium" models. I'll stick with Klipsch. Bose is overrated and they are better at one thing at least, marketing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones