Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2020, 06:09 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,246,909 times

Advertisements

I'm at a loss. Help, I'm lost! I want to preserve (save) some conversations I'm having by text but do not know how to do it. So I have questions. Geeksquad told me to get an app to "save and restore" texts, but -- I honestly do not understand if the app will save texts. I already found a few on Google Play Store, also Amazon, but -- don't know what they're talking about, and don't want to download another app without knowing what it will do. So can someone please help me walk through or understand what I'm supposed to do? (Thanks in advance.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2020, 07:49 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,807,561 times
Since you mentioned "Google Play Store", I'm assuming you're talking about a phone with Android as it's Operating System (OS).
You should include this in your question, along with the OS's version, so people could help you better.

General Background:
Texting is very different than email, regarding how the message is created, kept on your phone, sent over the radio and kept at the destination. You need an app that is specifically written to take your texts and copy them to someplace else for safekeeping.

I've used SMS Backup & Restore for at least 5 years and am satisfied with it.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...pRestore&hl=en

My settings: The backup is set to happen every Sunday morning at 4 AM and only if the phone is charging AND connected to the WiFi. (If this isn't available, it will show an alert, so I know to start it manually when it is powered and on my WiFi).
I have it set to backup ALL my text messages, but I don't have that many, and I tend to manually delete (in my Message App) the unimportant ones prior to the backup times.
The storage is to my Google Drive that's associated with the core Google Account for my phone.

Notes:
ANY backup app: They can only back up messages that are currently on your phone. Unlike most other information on a computer (or phone), if you delete a text message, there is NO undelete.
SMS B&R backs up messages to a generic XML format, that's not itself easy to read. You'd need some other program to read them (like MS Word). Or find an app that backs up to an easier to read format.
When you find a Txt Backup & Restore app you like, uninstall the others as you don't want them running in parallel.

Old 05-15-2020, 07:52 AM

61,410 posts, read 86,399,478 times
Easy step for step guide with pictures:
https://www.androidauthority.com/bac...zation-625972/
Or video tutorial:
https://youtu.be/OjCpoSfD2YM

You can also simply archive selected txt messages in your phone. It's a feature in your messenger settings

Old 05-19-2020, 08:24 AM

16,496 posts, read 19,553,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
Since you mentioned "Google Play Store", I'm assuming you're talking about a phone with Android as it's Operating System (OS).
You should include this in your question, along with the OS's version, so people could help you better.
/End Thread.

Good post, Ed.

Old 05-19-2020, 09:14 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,498,736 times
On a iPhone one goes to settings, messages then Keep Messages and select Forever

I can only speak for iOS as that is what I use

Old 05-19-2020, 10:53 AM

16,496 posts, read 19,553,973 times
OP has an Android brother.

Get your Apple A*# out of here. :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones