Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 09:34 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,808,602 times

Advertisements

I am not a heavy user.
For each month March, April, May 2020, I used 120 GB per month. There is no way using cell data will be cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 11:45 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post
I am not a heavy user.
For each month March, April, May 2020, I used 120 GB per month. There is no way using cell data will be cheaper.
Of course not. My 85 year old mother used 13.08 GB for the last 30 days on her laptop.

All I am suggesting is that for some single people it may actually make more sense to upgrade their cell service and drop the home service. If you travel a lot, or if you work in cafes frequently, you also have your completely network capability with you at all time.

Four or five years ago it would be almost unthinkable to try and operate purely on cell data. I remember reading a white paper that suggested that since WiFi had 15 times the bandwidth as cellular, cellular would always be about 15 times the price.

But things changed very rapidly, yet many people still feel that an all cellular operation is prohibitively expensive.

Leaving in the price of modem and router rental, the comparison is $67 + cellular vs $85 for cellular with hotspot.

Old 06-24-2020, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Leaving in the price of modem and router rental, the comparison is $67 + cellular vs $85 for cellular with hotspot.
My internet with Comcast is $30 + tax. Granted it is the slowest internet that Comcast has, but it works fine for me. And since I have Tracfone my cellular is $7 / month which includes tax. Total is less than $45/month.

So, to me, your $85 for cellular with TMobile is a complete waste of money. I will use the $40 for something else.

Old 06-26-2020, 11:39 AM

2,480 posts, read 1,552,838 times
We just signed on to T-Mobile. We were with Verizon but needed to add a line (three total). We are now spending less with the third line than we were with Verizon. And T-Mobile as also paying for Netflix. We will try it out for a year and hope for good service. If not we’ll go back to Veri$on.

Old 06-26-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
We just signed on to T-Mobile. We were with Verizon but needed to add a line (three total). We are now spending less with the third line than we were with Verizon. And T-Mobile as also paying for Netflix. We will try it out for a year and hope for good service. If not we’ll go back to Veri$on.
The key to saving money while wanting to be on the Verizon network is to use one of their MNVOs such as Page Plus or Red Pocket or Tracfone.

I have a Tracfone that is on the Verizon network. I have also used Red Pocket. You can find bargains with both by buying from them on eBay.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones