Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 05:09 PM

652 posts, read 521,634 times

Advertisements

https://i.redd.it/4b5qepc5s3551.jpg

This is so disrespectful. I already paid $1,000 for the S9+ why do this to me? Once I need a new phone I may see what Apple has to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2020, 05:26 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,576,544 times
most apps on the google play store have a free ad-supported version. or one can buy the pro version (no ads and sometimes additional features).

Old 06-19-2020, 05:39 PM

652 posts, read 521,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
most apps on the google play store have a free ad-supported version. or one can buy the pro version (no ads and sometimes additional features).

This is the app that came with the phone that I purchased in full. Why would I buy a pro version? I shouldn't have to do any of the things you're suggesting.

Old 06-19-2020, 05:40 PM

6,484 posts, read 10,353,739 times
Never take it personal, it isn't Samsung doing it, blame Google instead. I have the same model phone running Android 10 and when I got the OS update is when I noticed the change on my phone. Doesn't matter if you spent $100 or $1000 for your phone. Samsung only makes the phone, not the operating system. It is no different on your home computer when you use your internet browser.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:22 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Wow, that would really annoy me. I've had an iPhone for about 10 years now (various ones) and they're not perfect* but at least they don't show ads on my screen!

Incidentally, I have noticed that when I look at C-D on my phone, I get ads sometimes (even when I'm logged in). This started pretty recently. I don't get any when I read posts on my computer (and signed in).

===================

*My last iPhone lasted only a year or two, and the replacement I got is only 2 years old and ALREADY doing lots of weird things so it's time for another one. I am always at least a couple of generations behind as I am not willing to pay $1,000 for a phone -- more like $200 or $250 -- but I do buy them NEW. And I almost never buy protection plans, but I am going to for my new phone.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Incidentally, I have noticed that when I look at C-D on my phone, I get ads sometimes (even when I'm logged in). This started pretty recently. I don't get any when I read posts on my computer (and signed in).
meetoo. google-adsense.

Old 06-20-2020, 03:48 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,250,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Never take it personal, it isn't Samsung doing it, blame Google instead. I have the same model phone running Android 10 and when I got the OS update is when I noticed the change on my phone. Doesn't matter if you spent $100 or $1000 for your phone. Samsung only makes the phone, not the operating system. It is no different on your home computer when you use your internet browser.
Not really. Example, Verizon, AT&T stuff their programs onto the google phones they sell. It is not Google that does it.

If google was adding an add like this in Android 10 it would most likely be on all phones running Android 10 and my Pixel does not have any ads.

The phone manufacture, such as Samsung, LG, Motorola all add programs to the software for their phones, even the unlocked phones have some of their software that is NOT supplied by Google. This is not part of the software supplied by google but apps added and not allowed to be deleted by the provider. One reason why a factory unlocked phone has a heck of a lot less added programs.

And I once sent back a Samsung tablet cause it had ads, that Samsung admitted were ADDED BY SAMSUNG. Years ago, but it is a fact.

Old 06-20-2020, 06:25 AM

its a hassle but depending on device i would uninstall or disable any app that annoys me. i usually root and install cyanogen-mod/lineage-os if possible anyways.

Old 06-20-2020, 06:50 AM

6,484 posts, read 10,353,739 times
f5fstop, you are referring to "bloatware" that the cellular carriers/device manufacturers have pre installed on their branded devices before they leave the factory. In addition, when an application is used for the first time or installed, the user is asked to accept certain terms and conditions (which may include ads or data gathering). Maybe it isn't just Google as you state, but I still contend that the device manufacturer isn't specifically to blame as you allege.

I contend that such content has to be accepted by the user in some form or fashion. Some applications will not work if the user declines when prompted to accept those requests. Users can delete or not use applications they feel are violating their privacy.

Old 06-20-2020, 09:08 AM

529 posts, read 491,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
f5fstop, you are referring to "bloatware" that the cellular carriers/device manufacturers have pre installed on their branded devices before they leave the factory. In addition, when an application is used for the first time or installed, the user is asked to accept certain terms and conditions (which may include ads or data gathering). Maybe it isn't just Google as you state, but I still contend that the device manufacturer isn't specifically to blame as you allege.

I contend that such content has to be accepted by the user in some form or fashion. Some applications will not work if the user declines when prompted to accept those requests. Users can delete or not use applications they feel are violating their privacy.
Problem is, if you look into what is running on a Samsung, you will find several of Samsung apps (remote home control...etc), that are not needed to run the phone, running. You can not delete, or stop those programs from running.

I had a Samsung, but went to a Pixel, because I did not like the idea of the 3-4 Samsung programs running that I had no desire to have, or use.

There is a reason that phone manufacturers like Samsung takes 6-8 months to offer a new android version after it comes out. They tweak it to run there stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones