Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 02:59 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,823,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
... I also use it to find my family via an APP that knows where all the phones are in my immediate family.
As an extra GPS, that old phone is also a perfect free fancy GPS!
It is a weather station!
Keep in mind that apps, weather, and updates for the GPS road maps and traffic conditions only work on a disconnected-phone (no SIM card), when they are connected to the Internet via WiFi.
So I'm not sure how the GPS would be useful.

But like you, and the others, I have mine in it's docking station with integral power, on my desk as a clock, calendar, reminder-echo, photo cycling music player.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2020, 07:11 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
now that i bought a roku and fire-tv, i no longer have a need for this:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/cell...ia-center.html

Old 07-11-2020, 08:07 AM

1,108 posts, read 1,382,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
But why??? It still has many usable features.
Fill the landfill if you want, I am all for repurposing, not to mention that there are many people less fortunate who would
feel blessed having your "old" phone.

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...id-device.html
Agree 100%. It's so sad to read about people who want to toss perfectly good items into the trash, rather than donating it, or recycling it.

We really need to be more environmentally conscious, for our wallets and our future well-being.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:02 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
GPS works fine on an android even using google maps when you have NO internet or even LTE coverage. I used google maps all the time to find out of the way, middle of nowhere dispersed camping sites. Since I will have NO internet or LTE, I have to download Offline Maps for the areas I will be in while google maps is open and attached to the internet. I do that before a trip.
Then I connect to my Truck's entertainment system via Android Auto, enter in where I want to go, and it will direct me right to the area I am going. And being offline (no internet) it will direct me via the saved offline maps.

And the directions are sent to the truck's navigation system screen.

Old 07-11-2020, 07:35 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,823,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
GPS works fine on an android even using google maps when you have NO internet or even LTE coverage. I used google maps all the time to find out of the way, middle of nowhere dispersed camping sites. Since I will have NO internet or LTE, I have to download Offline Maps for the areas I will be in while google maps is open and attached to the internet. I do that before a trip.
Then I connect to my Truck's entertainment system via Android Auto, enter in where I want to go, and it will direct me right to the area I am going. And being offline (no internet) it will direct me via the saved offline maps.

And the directions are sent to the truck's navigation system screen.
All true, but keep in mind that you have to first save the map to your phone when WiFi-online, and

When traveling, the saved map shows ONLY roads. If you're driving along, you can't look up the nearest restaurant, or see traffic ahead, or click on a store you just passed to find it's phone number to call.

Old 07-12-2020, 07:06 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
All true, but keep in mind that you have to first save the map to your phone when WiFi-online, and

When traveling, the saved map shows ONLY roads. If you're driving along, you can't look up the nearest restaurant, or see traffic ahead, or click on a store you just passed to find it's phone number to call.
Strange, suddenly an expert and yet you earlier stated you had no idea how GPS would be useful.

As for saving maps while connected to the internet....yea, makes sense, and guess what, that is what I previously stated....

"I have to download Offline Maps for the areas I will be in while google maps is open and attached to the internet."

However, you DO NOT need to be connected to WI-FI internet to download maps. You can do it via LTE; however, you need to make sure WI-FI only is not checked in the settings for google maps.

As for restaurants road conditions, stores, etc., that is correct. However, that info is not really GPS related anyway, that info relies on LTE or Wi-Fi.

And in my case....I'm using google maps only due to the fact I am usually traveling some forest roads in the middle of nowhere in the western states to some location on a map and it is easier to use Google maps than stopping all the time to view a paper map. (I used to use a Garmin TOPO map, on a 15" computer, mounted to a RAM computer mount for traveling those FS roads...google and Android Auto, made it so much easier.) So I already know there are no stores, service stations and no available traffic info.

Old 07-12-2020, 07:38 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Update/extra info ...

We do not get a new phone "every" year. We only get a 'new' phone (new for us) each time our kids get a new phone. We both have Samsung Note 8 now and we love it!

The oldest phone we have, if it is worthwhile, then goes to some friend we have who might be able to use the oldest phone, and we have plenty of friends who have appreciated it!

Regarding the GPS function capability, our 'contract' is with "GPS Waypoints Navigator". We paid a one time fee of something like 8 dollars each for two user licenses. Then we found out we could have loaded the APP on three phones!
The beauty of the APP is that with an extra storage card, you can download umpteen maps, from almost anywhere in the world.

Honestly, who needs that many maps, so we only have the maps of the State we live in and all surrounding States.
If we travel outside that area, we download those states we will be travelling on our current phone.
When we travelled back to Europe a few years ago, we downloaded the maps of the countries we were travelling in...

The APP we use to find out where each of our phones is... "Life360"
It is actually more that the kids know where we are rather then when we know where our kids are.
We are both in our late 70's/early 80's, so it is just for the kids to know that we are not stuck on some freeway or lonely highway for quite a while.

On the other hand, if we need to call any of our kids, we check first where their phone is, then decide to call them or leave them a text.

Last edited by irman; 07-12-2020 at 07:49 AM..

Old 07-12-2020, 01:41 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Strange, suddenly an expert and yet you earlier stated you had no idea how GPS would be useful.

As for saving maps while connected to the internet....yea, makes sense, and guess what, that is what I previously stated....

"I have to download Offline Maps for the areas I will be in while google maps is open and attached to the internet."

However, you DO NOT need to be connected to WI-FI internet to download maps. You can do it via LTE; however, you need to make sure WI-FI only is not checked in the settings for google maps.

As for restaurants road conditions, stores, etc., that is correct. However, that info is not really GPS related anyway, that info relies on LTE or Wi-Fi.

And in my case....I'm using google maps only due to the fact I am usually traveling some forest roads in the middle of nowhere in the western states to some location on a map and it is easier to use Google maps than stopping all the time to view a paper map. (I used to use a Garmin TOPO map, on a 15" computer, mounted to a RAM computer mount for traveling those FS roads...google and Android Auto, made it so much easier.) So I already know there are no stores, service stations and no available traffic info.
Wouldn't one need the phone to be in service for this?

Old 07-18-2020, 04:02 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Generally, I buy used, "mint condition," and sell them used when I am done with them. Turn them quickly enough, and resale prices are good enough to make it fairly inexpensive.

www.swappa.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones