Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 06:21 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,200,792 times

Advertisements

Never would have bought the Stylus if I knew Moto Gallery was replaced with Google Photos - which is horrible. Photos taken today are dated randomly a week ago and not showing in the right order - there seems to be no way to reorder them and the Moto Gallery was so easy to select, create and move photos into easily created groupings. Google Photos is making me want to return the Android and just buy an Iphone. Is there an app that works with this stupid phone as seamlessly as the old Moto Gallery app?

Much appreciation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 07:20 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,808,533 times
What are the actual dates on your photos? I have the Pixel 3 and an iPhone 11 Pro. I like Google Photos much better. It places everything in order for me.

Old 09-09-2020, 06:28 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,246,203 times
I've had no problem with Google photos on my phone. Took me some time to get used to it, but it works ok. Dates appear correct and should be since they are based on the meta data of the photo. However, I also have a local app that only goes back to the first photo taken with the phone (GALLERY) vs. back a billion years like GOOGLE photo.

Old 09-09-2020, 07:25 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...etools.gallery

Old 09-09-2020, 08:58 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
Never would have bought the Stylus if I knew Moto Gallery was replaced with Google Photos
One does not replace the other. Google photos is in the cloud, gallery is on the phone. They work side by side.

Google photos is optional, gallery is built into the phone.

Google photos has way more capabilities than gallery which I will not get into.

You can go to your computer or any other phone and as long as you log into the same google account you can see the same photos. You lose your phone, you will not lose the photos. That is one of the main benefits of using the cloud.

You get a new phone, use the same google account for it, install google photos, keep taking pictures, you are adding to your collection, not starting a new one.

Old 09-09-2020, 09:51 AM

One can absolutely replace the other. You do not need 2.
Using a local app, Google doesn't get access to all my photos. That's important for some people. I will take care of backing up my own photos.

Old 09-09-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
One can absolutely replace the other. You do not need 2.
Using a local app, Google doesn't get access to all my photos. That's important for some people. I will take care of backing up my own photos.
Google photos by definition is on the cloud. I know you don't need two but you will have two. I still have gallery. Since I installed google photos, I have not touched it.

You can choose not to install google photos, as I mentioned that is optional. It may come pre-installed on some phones which is probably the case with the OP. If that is the case, then it may not be possible to uninstall it. It depends on the provider, some may make it part of the ROM. If you have gallery, try uninstalling it to see what I mean. You can force stop it, you cannot uninstall it. Gallery IS part of the OS.

As soon as you install photos (if it's not already there), you can deny it access to your photos but then what is the point? If you give it access to your photos, every photo you have on your phone that you took with the phone camera and stored locally plus every photo you take after that point will be uploaded to google photos on the cloud. If you do NOT want this behavior, it's simple, do not install google photos or force stop it if you can't uninstall. You can also go into your google account settings and turn OFF the automatic backup (sync) for photos.

Different manufacturers do different things with these apps. That may be the case with the OP.

What’s the Difference Between Google Photos and Gallery App on Android
https://www.guidingtech.com/google-p...pp-difference/

@OP, you mention Moto gallery, that is a Motorola branded app. You now have a Stylus phone?, that is an LG. There is no "Moto" gallery on an LG phone. It may be called "Gallery". Try opening the app drawer (where all of your apps are) and listed alphabetically you should find gallery. I have an LG phone and that is what it is called. This may be the reason you think it was replaced.

Last edited by gguerra; 09-09-2020 at 11:47 AM..

Old 09-09-2020, 12:12 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,808,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Gallery IS part of the OS.
Gallery is not part of the OS.

Old 09-09-2020, 12:35 PM

You're not really trying to school me on GPhotos, are you GG?
"You will have 2" only if you WANT 2. I am all in on Google and have never used Google Photos. About the only Google app I didn't ever use. I recently turned it on only so my 3 Google Home devices would start displaying photos.
You'll never guess what happened?
"You are almost out of space! Click here to pay for more storage." And I have 18 gigs, not the standard 15. So now It want's me to pay $2/mo for more storage.
So there's another reason for not using GPhotos in addition to the one I already mentioned: privacy.

Gallery is not part of the OS but every company makes their own "Gallery" app. It may not be called Gallery.

In any event, as usual, we've completely blown this post up.
OP said "What is a good GPhotos alternative". He didn't ask for our opinion on GPhotos.
And this was already answered with a free and easy Gallery that is so close to the Gallery OP wishes he still had.

/thread

Old 09-09-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You're not really trying to school me on GPhotos, are you GG?
"You will have 2" only if you WANT 2. I am all in on Google and have never used Google Photos. About the only Google app I didn't ever use. I recently turned it on only so my 3 Google Home devices would start displaying photos.
You'll never guess what happened?
"You are almost out of space! Click here to pay for more storage." And I have 18 gigs, not the standard 15. So now It want's me to pay $2/mo for more storage.
So there's another reason for not using GPhotos in addition to the one I already mentioned: privacy.

Gallery is not part of the OS but every company makes their own "Gallery" app. It may not be called Gallery.

In any event, as usual, we've completely blown this post up.
OP said "What is a good GPhotos alternative". He didn't ask for our opinion on GPhotos.
And this was already answered with a free and easy Gallery that is so close to the Gallery OP wishes he still had.

/thread
Different companies may make their own version of Gallery but do they really? They may may change the name a bit and make slight modifications to it but it is essentially the same thing, hence the name the OP mentions "Moto Gallery"

You certainly do NOT have to install google photos. It has always been optional. As for the OP, I seriously doubt HE installed it, he is complaining about it, so it may have come pre-installed. It would make sense.

It may also be that yes, his version of Android did away with Gallery, it was replaced with photos? There has always been a native photo app with Android, it was Gallery, it may now be Photos. Either way it IS part of the OS, regardless of the name. I am not looking at his phone obviously. He is complaining because he is used to one thing and he expects things to remain the same forever. Things change and get better, at least that is the idea. On my older LG (Android 8), it came with gallery, cannot be uninstalled. That tells me it is part of the OS. Every other Android phone I have seen has been the same. I installed Google photos, I like it a lot.

As for running out of space, as you well know there is 15gb free. I don't take that many photos. It's not an issue for me. As for privacy, you should be the last one to complain. I thought you didn't worry about that sort of thing? You are always accusing people of being paranoid. What happened, do you take a lot of nude photos?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones