Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 07:23 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
My research points to $70 per month. Seems a lot of $ to have an occasional-use phone. I just want to double check to see if there is any i have not found....
Verizon Prepaid plans start at $30 plus fees, and Postpaid plans start at $35 plus fees. By the end of the year any grandfathered plans for less will be terminated with the end of 2G and 3G.

Page Plus Cellular (PPC),a division of Tracfone, has the cheapest plan on the Verizon Network which is $30 per year plus taxes and fees, but it is only 500 minutes or texts in a year. Phones start at $20. My parents like this plan because it is consistent with their usage.

PPC also has a $10 month plan plus taxes and fees for up to 500 minutes plus up to 500 texts .

But if you want unlimited talk, text, and 4G data you will pay a lot more. Even more if you want a 5G phone.

Verizon just paid $6 billion to buy Tracfone and will settle next year. So the lowest budget plans may vanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2020, 08:28 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Verizon just paid $6 billion to buy Tracfone and will settle next year. So the lowest budget plans may vanish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Straight Talk, a Tracfone affiliate that also uses Verizon services and will soon be owned by Verizon, has unlimited calling and 25gb of data for $45/month.
https://www.straighttalk.com/wps/por...p/serviceplans
Technically, Verizon has entered into an agreement with America Movil to acquire TracFone Wireless, Inc., subject to regulatory approvals; and it will be interesting to see what is required. Tracfone is the largest pre-paid provider with 21 million subscribers, and Verizon is the largest Wireless company with 119 million subscribers. It might turn into a circus when it hits the regulators. It took T-Mobile a few years to win approval for Sprint....
So this sale could easily take a few years to enact and will it end with ALL those Tracfone owned entities going with the sale or will they be sold off to other providers, or spun off on their own?

So, although Verizon and America Movil have come to an agreement, will the regulators agree to the sale? I actually have my doubts it will be a clean purchase of all assets.

Sprint had to dump Boost and Virgin mobile plus Sprint's branded pre-paid system (sold to Dish, I believe) to allow the merger with T-Mobile. The sale of sprint was dragged on by opposition and suits from CWA, a few State AGs, CA reg committee, and others.

Time will tell; however, I see a fight coming....

Old 09-26-2020, 09:30 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,808,345 times
Interesting.

I am on Verizon via Tracfone for two of my smartphones.
I am on Verizon via Page Plus (owned by Tracfone's parent company) for one of my smartphones.
My mom is on Verizon via Tracfone as well.

Not sure regulartory approvals is much of an impediment these days.

Old 09-26-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post
Interesting.

I am on Verizon via Tracfone for two of my smartphones.
I am on Verizon via Page Plus (owned by Tracfone's parent company) for one of my smartphones.
My mom is on Verizon via Tracfone as well.

Not sure regulartory approvals is much of an impediment these days.

Well...Sprint was required to dump a few of their subs to allow the merger. And not only can regulator approval be a problem, State AGs can be almost a bigger problem. A few states sued to stop the Sprint/T-Mobile deal and a few sued to stop AT&T/Time Warner; as well as some harsh regulator approval mess too. All were finally approved, but time will tell....

Old 09-26-2020, 08:32 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Technically, Verizon has entered into an agreement with America Movil to acquire TracFone Wireless, Inc., subject to regulatory approvals; and it will be interesting to see what is required.

Tracfone is the largest pre-paid provider with 21 million subscribers, and Verizon is the largest Wireless company with 119 million subscribers. It might turn into a circus when it hits the regulators.
All of the other major cell companies have bought MVNOs that used their network.
  1. AT&T acquired Leap Wireless International (owner of Cricket Wireless) in March 2014 .
  2. Nextel became the sole owner of Boost's United States operations in 2003.
  3. Sprint Corporation acquired Nextel Communications in 2005, leaving Boost Mobile as a subsidiary of the merged company,
  4. Sprint would also acquire Virgin Mobile USA in 2010.
  5. Metro was established in 1994 as General Wireless, Inc. In October 2012, the company, known then as MetroPCS, reached an agreement to merge with T-Mobile USA. It is now known as Metro by T-Mobile.

Although TracFone makes extensive use of Verizon wirelesses network it also uses AT&T and T-Mobile networks. So by Verizon purchasing TracFone they would be using data purchased wholesale by the other networks. I think you are correct in assuming that Verizon must sell some of these operations to Dish to get regulatory approval.

Two of Tracfone's subsidiaries are exclusively Verizon Wireless mobile virtual network operator
  • Total Wireless
  • Page Plus Cellular

But I believe that all of the other Tracfone divisions make use of AT&T and Tmobile networks
  1. Walmart Family Mobile & GoSmart
  2. Straight Talk
  3. Simple Mobile
  4. Net10 Wireless
  5. Telcel América

Old 09-27-2020, 01:41 PM

You know, not even going to debate or argue over this post; better things to do. But best to look at the dates you are noting (latest example was six years ago and time does change things), and I NEVER SAID IT WOULD NOT BE APPROVED, JUST SAID IT WILL MOST LIKELY TAKE SOME TIME AND SOME COMPANIES MIGHT BE DUMPED, DISBANDED OR REMAIN WITH MOVIL.

So why try and start an argument? Got nothing better to do?

Maybe I'll come back and revisit this thread in two years, maybe (probably not) cause I honestly don't give two toots. if tracfone goes away and Verizon attempts to take me back; not going to happen, there are other MVNOs that use Verizon, and the way it looks T-Mobile might eventually become a better network for my purposes.

And now to head over to the ignore column cause I do not debate or argue with people I do not know, and happily will never know.

Old 09-29-2020, 12:28 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
From Verizon site, I clicked down to 1 line, and unlimited plan is $70 per month. The only option less than that is 5GB data for $55, which is too little. Am I missing something?
You're missing the fact that 5GB is PLENTY of data for 50% of users.

Old 09-29-2020, 12:43 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,808,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You're missing the fact that 5GB is PLENTY of data for 50% of users.
It is still cheaper to get Verizon for 5 GB for $35 with Total Wireless which is a 36% saving.
$240/year savings.
And, Total Wireless has 25 GB for $50.

Granted being with Verizon may be better than being Verizon with Total Wireless, but for a saving of $20/month, I would go with Total Wireless.

Old 09-29-2020, 12:55 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
I wasn't really commenting on that. Just that 5 is plenty.

Does Total do Wifi calling? I thought the MVNO's didn't.

Old 09-30-2020, 09:56 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I wasn't really commenting on that. Just that 5 is plenty.

Does Total do Wifi calling? I thought the MVNO's didn't.
5 is plenty. we are moderate data users and combine WiFi with data. Sure if I streamed videos from my car in a parking lot for hours a day 5 would not be enough. We always have rollover data each month. This post was made on home Wifi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones