Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 04:12 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,353,259 times

Advertisements

Does anyone use an Apple Watch and share the cardio data with their cardiologist? I am not an Apple person, though I do have an iPad and iPhone. I was told that I may need a loop recorder inserted into my chest for three years to monitor my heart. When I asked if the Apple Watch would provide the same info, my cardiologist said it would. So, I bought and Apple Watch 6 yesterday. I’m not sure if I know what I am doing, I can take an ECG if I push the button for 30 seconds. Am I doing this right? Does the watch record continuously like a Holter monitor or is it only a manual process like I am doing now? I look forward to hearing from you Apple folks out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2020, 05:04 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,229,731 times
It’s a manual process. Your heart rate is taken automatically but you need to put your finger on the crown and hold it there - no pushing. I’m assuming the 6 is like my 4.

https://www.cnet.com/health/apple-wa...t-you-to-know/

Note that this kind of ECG is a “one lead” reading which is useful, but not diagnostic like a Holter which uses 3-8 leads.

Instead of taking a stress test last year before taking statins I used my Apple Watch during exercise to show heart rate and recovery times, sending this info to my cardiologist. I’m not sure the ECG will really show anything useful to a doctor the way Apple has it implemented.

Old 10-09-2020, 06:11 PM

I am having occasional heart palpitations that sometimes last hours at a time. Usually once every two weeks but at times, more often. So, he just wanted to see how often I was having them. In my case, he said the watch is good for this. When I press the crown, it only goes for 30 seconds. Since my palpitations usually last for hours, I would want to get the entire episode recorded. Is that not possible with the watch? I’ll just return it if it cannot do what I need it to do. I had the assumption that it was a continuous recorder, like how the Health app records steps.

Old 10-09-2020, 06:52 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
The Apple watch is only a screening tool and was not meant to be an accurate medical measuring tool used by a doctor. No different with my Samsung S3 watch that also measures BP with about the same accuracy.

You need a more accurate blood pressure device instead of a watch. There are portable BP cuffs that you could easily wear for a more accurate measurements. You just need to search and don't hesitate if you have further questions. Best wishes.

Old 10-09-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I am having occasional heart palpitations that sometimes last hours at a time. Usually once every two weeks but at times, more often. So, he just wanted to see how often I was having them. In my case, he said the watch is good for this. When I press the crown, it only goes for 30 seconds. Since my palpitations usually last for hours, I would want to get the entire episode recorded. Is that not possible with the watch? I’ll just return it if it cannot do what I need it to do. I had the assumption that it was a continuous recorder, like how the Health app records steps.
What led you to believe you could continuously record your ECG? It can’t do this automatically. Touching (not pressing) the crown is necessary to complete the electrical circuit in the way that an ECG lead does.

Old 10-10-2020, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
What led you to believe you could continuously record your ECG? It can’t do this automatically. Touching (not pressing) the crown is necessary to complete the electrical circuit in the way that an ECG lead does.
Not being an Apple fanboy, I made an assumption. The way my cardiologist made it sound, I thought it recorded everything continuously. He just said to treat myself to an Apple Watch, which I have no desire to own, wear it for 6 months and send me the data and he will look it over. Like I said, I have an iPhone for work and noticed that it knows how many steps intake, which means that something is triggering it at all times. Why not the ECG?

Old 10-10-2020, 08:42 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
In measuring steps taken, the watch and/or phone uses a piece of hardware called an accelerometer to measure motion. Not the same as the BP measurement/monitoring.

Your doctor encourages using the watch as a screening tool, as mentioned earlier. To continuously measure you BP, you would have to have some type of electrical connection connected to your body. Your doctor may suggest a better device if he/she feels it necessary and I guarantee it will be much pricier than a smart watch.

Old 10-10-2020, 09:10 AM

That is fine. But what prevents the watch from running a continuous ECG? It would be the same if I pressed the. Tut on manually every 30 seconds. It seems that it could be done. It is on my wrist waiting for the app to run. Why not have a 6 hour mode? These are just questions. i am sure it is possible.

Old 10-10-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
In measuring steps taken, the watch and/or phone uses a piece of hardware called an accelerometer to measure motion. Not the same as the BP measurement/monitoring.

Your doctor encourages using the watch as a screening tool, as mentioned earlier. To continuously measure you BP, you would have to have some type of electrical connection connected to your body. Your doctor may suggest a better device if he/she feels it necessary and I guarantee it will be much pricier than a smart watch.
You keep on mentioning BP. If you are referring to blood pressure - the Apple Watch doesn’t do that.

Old 10-10-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
That is fine. But what prevents the watch from running a continuous ECG? It would be the same if I pressed the. Tut on manually every 30 seconds. It seems that it could be done. It is on my wrist waiting for the app to run. Why not have a 6 hour mode? These are just questions. i am sure it is possible.
Sorry, but you’re not getting it. You keep on saying “press the crown”. You don’t press the crown, you hold your finger on it. Doing this completes an electrical circuit between the finger, the watch and your wrist. You need to hold your finger ON the crown for the full 30 seconds.

What’s stopping you from touching the crown all day? Nothing. But the Apple ECG software doesn’t take constant readings. Want something like this? Contact Apple. But I pretty much guarantee it will never be implemented, because (1) it’s unlikely to be used by 99+% of the buyers and (2) it would really drain the battery.

You can buy Holter-style monitors online for less cost than an Apple Watch. That might be a better investment for you. Do a Google search, I found some for $299.

Good luck.

Last edited by markjames68; 10-10-2020 at 10:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones