Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2020, 01:02 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,684,347 times

Advertisements

I have a Asus Zenfone Lite L1 (less than 2 years old)

and Simple Mobile

A couple of months ago I was getting messages when re-upping about my phone becoming obsolete in 2021 and would need to buy a new one and they showed some of their adds for various new phones

But from what I'm seeing it is going to not be a problem

I dialed *#*#4636#*#*

and choose Phone information.

the Toggle for VOLTE is already moved to the right, green, in an on position

It looks like there is no need to do anything.

I was about to buy a new phone but first went to the internet to look up this *#*#4636#*#*
number to check and it looks O.K.

were these cell companies not telling us this a bit doing a hustle to get people to but new phones when only certain people actually have obsolete models?

Also some of these customer service people I had spoken to a while back seemed to say they could detect by phone type just by me calling them and tell it was not VOLTE compatible but I don't think so (?)

Last edited by jonbenson; 11-24-2020 at 01:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2020, 02:03 PM

6,391 posts, read 10,181,986 times
If the carrier doesn't detect a compatible phone sold by them might explain the warning. I am not arguing that your phone isn't, just that their system did not automatically detect the make/model. Should not be a problem based on the information you confirmed

Old 11-28-2020, 09:48 PM

6,378 posts, read 3,853,814 times
You should be able to call your carrier, give them the IMEI, and they'll tell you it's compatible.

The other question I have is... are you certain those "messages" were from your actual phone carrier, and weren't advertisements/scam attempts from someone else, either an attempt to get you to buy something from them, or to get your information?

Old 11-28-2020, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
You should be able to call your carrier, give them the IMEI, and they'll tell you it's compatible.

The other question I have is... are you certain those "messages" were from your actual phone carrier, and weren't advertisements/scam attempts from someone else, either an attempt to get you to buy something from them, or to get your information?
this was direct to customer support for Simple Mobile. Prior to this when trying to do a monthly re-up the warning popped up about my phone not being compatible and links to phones they sell. Spoke to a couple of reps who had different lacking replies

anyway by calling

*#*#4636#*#*

(which I looked up on the web)

the "secret" android menu appears and by clicking on "Phone Information" is appears as if VOLTE is already selected. I am fairly confident that there will be no problem, and the phone is not too old. However I might have seen a video saying not necessarily even with that in the on position, I'll wait and see. There seem to be other fixes also

Old 11-29-2020, 05:35 AM

296 posts, read 214,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post

and Simple Mobile

A couple of months ago I was getting messages when re-upping about my phone becoming obsolete in 2021 and would need to buy a new one and they showed some of their adds for various new phones

I dialed *#*#4636#*#*

I was about to buy a new phone but first went to the internet to look up this *#*#4636#*#*

were these cell companies not telling us this a bit doing a hustle to get people to but new phones when only certain people actually have obsolete models?

Also some of these customer service people I had spoken to a while back seemed to say they could detect by phone type just by me calling them and tell it was not VOLTE compatible but I don't think so (?)

Thanks for starting this thread, I now have VoLTE enabled on my Motorola phone, on Verizon, which I was aware will soon be shutting down CDMA.

Old 01-30-2021, 07:47 PM

Quote:

and Simple Mobile

I dialed *#*#4636#*#*

It's a month into 2021 and it still takes multiple times to try to log in to the carrier's website, a message keeps coming up about my phone becoming incompatible and service will degrade so I need a new phone

yet I have no problems making calls

Old 01-30-2021, 08:20 PM

6,391 posts, read 10,181,986 times
Quote:

yet I have no problems making calls
No duh.....They are advising you of a pending technology change that will require an equipment change in the near future to be able to use your cell phone.

Old 01-30-2021, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
No duh.....They are advising you of a pending technology change that will require an equipment change in the near future to be able to use your cell phone.
yes I know this

https://www.androidcentral.com/t-mob...e-january-2021

T-Mobile will require VoLTE as of January 2021

Existing, non-compatible devices will no longer be supported from January 2021.

It doesn't say "after January 2021."

It says "from"

that means such devices should have not been working right or at all this whole month

I'll see what happens Feb 1st

but I think what may be happening is that they sell phones, have ads for them on their website (Simple which runs on T mobile lines) so they just leave that message in hopes to get you to buy a new phone, yet in reality some phones have remained compatible and if you call this on android:

*#*#4636#*#*

it brings up a special menu

and if you choose Phone information some phones have a VOLTE toggle, which mine does on was already on "on" position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones