Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2024, 07:04 PM

1,111 posts, read 606,309 times

Advertisements

I'm currently in the market for a new phone... my current LG has a serious crack on the front that is threatening to spider all the way across.

I was going to go look at the Samsungs, but kinda like to have something less mainstream.

I am seriously looking at the older Pixel 7a.

But I keep on hearing bad experiences (online boards) about the newer Pixels. About battery bloating, calls dropping off, people having a hard time hearing them... etc.

Just curious in what others think or their experience with the Pixel phones... esp the 7a.

I love that it has a great camera (important to me because I love taking snaps when fishing etc).

It looks like it has a decent battery with wireless charging.

Please chime in with your experience with the Pixels. TYVM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2024, 07:08 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
One thing is that Google Pixels run a near-stock version of Android, while Samsung has their One UI skin. It really comes down to personal preference. Samsung has a larger ecosystem, and if anything goes wrong, far more repair shops repair Samsung Galaxy devices than Google Pixels, so you should also keep that in mind.

Old 01-24-2024, 08:38 PM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times
I had 2 flagship LGs in a row and really miss them.
I went Pixel 5 a few years ago and soon will upgrade to either a 7Pro or 8.
Less bloatware and cleaner Android experience.

Old 01-25-2024, 05:05 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,354,061 times
I had a Samsung Galaxy S3 back in the day. It was okay, but there was a lot of Samsung bloatware on it that couldn't be removed, and it hardly received any security or other updates. Years later, after using Motorola phones for a while, I got a Pixel 3XL. I really liked that phone a lot. Had that for 2½ years, then traded it in for my current phone, a Pixel 5a, which I also really enjoy.

I have not had any problems with my Pixels. I love that I have the latest and purest Android OS without any bloatware. Security updates come every month, not once or twice a year with Motorola or Samsung.

Can't speak about the problems you see online. I'm sure Samsung phones have their share of problems as well.

Old 01-25-2024, 05:43 AM

2,389 posts, read 1,560,434 times
IMHO unless you like/need/use the stylus go Pixel I have had a range of Notes over the years and also Pixels The only advantage for me for Note over Pixel is the s pen, however many folk don't need one. As an overall phone the Pixel wins hands down IMHO

Old 01-25-2024, 07:38 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Pixels are great. On my second. Don't believe everything you read online. People LOVE to complain, but not so much compliment. I know I'm not telling you anything you don't know. Although I would get the regular 7 if you can swing it.
Sammy's are fine too, but you're getting more bang for your buck with the Pixel.

Disagree with Jazz that there are less shops that can repair a Pixel. Literally any shop capable of repairing Samsung will fix a Pixel too. There are 5 UbreakIfix within 20 miles of me that will fix them both. And a couple other places, too.

Old 01-25-2024, 09:40 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
I have had 3 pixel phones...last the pixel 6 pro, now the pixel 8 pro. never had a single concern with any of them. totally satisified.

Old 01-25-2024, 05:53 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Pixels are great. On my second. Don't believe everything you read online. People LOVE to complain, but not so much compliment. I know I'm not telling you anything you don't know. Although I would get the regular 7 if you can swing it.
Sammy's are fine too, but you're getting more bang for your buck with the Pixel.

Disagree with Jazz that there are less shops that can repair a Pixel. Literally any shop capable of repairing Samsung will fix a Pixel too. There are 5 UbreakIfix within 20 miles of me that will fix them both. And a couple other places, too.
I know Ubreakifix (a national chain) will repair most major brands, but many of the mom-and-pop repair shops only repair Apple and Samsung products.

Old 01-26-2024, 07:46 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,672,308 times
I really doubt that, Pink. Maybe in Queen Creek, AZ, I suppose, but I promise you literally any "Phone repair shop" in most of the US (if not World), will repair any phone. Never have I seen any that will only do certain models. If the shop can find the screen or glass or broken thing...and who can't these days... they'll fix it. If you are comfortable as a shop owner / employee replacing a screen on a Samsung, replacing a screen on literally any other phone is easy.

Yea, even my local mom and pop. Actually AMAZED they were able to get away with using this name.

Sometimes they have to order a screen, but they've never turned my business away.

https://www.brokeassphone.com/broke-...s/rocky-river/

And yes, I've used them several times for work. On the sign outside it's Broke As* Phone.

Old 01-29-2024, 11:41 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,712,126 times
If I were to go back to Android, I'd get a Pixel, whatever the latest version is at the time.

My last one was a Pixel 3 - I got rid of my Galaxy S8 for it. The Sammy was fine, but battery life was iffy and Samsung's UI drove me batsh*t crazy sometimes. I love pure Android.

That said - I had two problems with the Pixel 3, one of which was a known one. Battery life wasn't that great, though better than the Samsung, and it had memory management issues, which were a known problem. Most of the time it was fine though, and had a great camera for the time as well.

I gave up Android in general when I moved over to an iPhone 11 Pro and went from two phones to one (dual SIM). The iPhone could dual SIM better than Android at the time and the battery life was nothing short of spectacular. All of my media lives in Apple, so that helped out too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones